John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    dazzajl said:

That’s odd, my first thought was that if you want to do ‘jacket sleeves rolled up 80s dinosaur pop’ that it only works with PC on drums. ;)

https://youtu.be/5bkJV5dxUBo
    Jeez, nearly 5 minutes of that is hard work. It's worse than the Mayer one - at least Mayer is half joking.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I’m not getting all the hate towards the song or Jm. It’s clearly a tribute/pastiche of Clapton, particularly the sound of “It’s in the way that you use it” along with the video of “Forever Man” . Even though I like both Clapton and Mayer, I haven’t listened to those two songs for ages now and this made me put them on and revisit some other Clapton tunes. Surely if this introduces a new audience to one of the greats whilst also being a song people like from a current artist, it’s done it’s job? 
    Like him or not, Mayer is one of those guys that can transcend genre and style and probably one of the only people that could have pulled this off. 

There will probably also be a pink Silver Sky release too and I am all for that! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2378
    Pete and Captain A getting in on the act now......

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    I'll add only this - it's an earworm, I've caught myself humming and whistling the main riff a few times . I have watched the video twice. Enough said.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    One big marketing ploy. I'm glad I don't fall for the marketing videos.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 476
    Mayer fans are all grabbing vintage MIJ CE-2's, but the Gilmour fanboy in me wanted one a few months ago too so :)

Went with a FreeTheTone Tri-Avatar instead.

I like the song. It's a cheesy as all hell earworm but firmly tongue in cheek which goes with his new persona which went from a womanising egotist to a self aware "fellow kids" meme (he's on TikTok) - with sincerity.

I'd say he's allowed to channel late 80s Clapton, a lot of people will be introduced to his influences once again.

As for his own established voice, he played this when I saw him live in 2019 so I'd say he's earned the right to mix it up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    PFAllen2 said:
    I'll add only this - it's an earworm, I've caught myself humming and whistling the main riff a few times . I have watched the video twice. Enough said.
    I’ll admit the same. In spite of not really ‘getting’ JM - and simultaneously loving Behind The Sun era EC - the song has somehow inveighed itself into my head…
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3549
    They should bring back the Mondeo and include a free copy of this. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Greatape said:

They'll have to wait til March next year when Ford discontinue it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Greatape said:

What an image. 

By the way, I still haven't heard this track. But is this kind of thing that would get played on Radio 2? I'm getting a Ken Bruce vibe from some of the comments here.  
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Redlester said:
    Greatape said:

What an image. 

By the way, I still haven't heard this track. But is this kind of thing that would get played on Radio 2? I'm getting a Ken Bruce vibe from some of the comments here.  
    Ken will love it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22826
    Redlester said:
    Greatape said:

What an image. 

Ken will love it. 
    They'll love it on Heart FM too.  It'll fit right in with the hourly broadcast of She's Like the Wind by Patrick Swayze.
  • I'm all for referencing and taking inspiration from the past but that just seems to do it in such an obvious way I can't really take it seriously, My instant reaction is it just feels lazy or the easy choice to heavily reference such a period. Maybe that's that point I don't know. As a song its ok but I'd hoped it would be progressive and take me to somewhere new not the 80's.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    PFAllen2 said:
    I’ll admit the same. In spite of not really ‘getting’ JM - and simultaneously loving Behind The Sun era EC - the song has somehow inveighed itself into my head…
    This guy?! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Redlester said:
    Record of the Week for Ken, I reckon. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Redlester said:
    I've never actually heard a JM track before, I'd always assumed he was one of those new breed of bloooozemen whos audience is more concerned with what's on the pedal board than what he plays. I've taken a listen today and gone right back to the earliest stuff on Spotify, which is 1999 and he's pure Radio 2 right from the start. His influences seem to be all over the place and artists from Newton Faulkner to Taylor Swift have come from a similar place since.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    dazzajl said:
    Redlester said:
    I've never actually heard a JM track before, I'd always assumed he was one of those new breed of bloooozemen whos audience is more concerned with what's on the pedal board than what he plays. I've taken a listen today and gone right back to the earliest stuff on Spotify, which is 1999 and he's pure Radio 2 right from the start. His influences seem to be all over the place and artists from Newton Faulkner to Taylor Swift have come from a similar place since.

Taylor swift is on a different planet as far a song writing and lyrics are concerned.

Her last couple of albums are absolute masterpieces.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Redlester said:
    Got to get past Beverley Knight for record of the week
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    dazzajl said:
    Redlester said:

Taylor swift is on a different planet as far a song writing and lyrics are concerned.

Her last couple of albums are absolute masterpieces.
    Totally agree. The comparison was just about being young American songwriters with all the influences you’d expect to hear there 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Redlester said:
    Got to get past Beverley Knight for record of the week
    Oy, no knocking our Beverley. Those of us originating from Wolverhampton don’t have a lot else going for us. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.