John Mayer: Sob Rock and a Pink Silver Sky

What's Hot

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1244
    tFB Trader
    Redlester said:
    By the way, I still haven't heard this track. But is this kind of thing that would get played on Radio 2? I'm getting a Ken Bruce vibe from some of the comments here.  
    Record of the Week for Ken, I reckon. 
    Got to get past Beverley Knight for record of the week
    Oy, no knocking our Beverley. Those of us originating from Wolverhampton don’t have a lot else going for us. 
    Beverley Knight is lovely & fantastic, this opinion is not only held by Sir Ken.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Right, serious post here now........ I'm interested to hear the opinions of the opinionated on this thread and this also crosses a few other knocking threads too.

We're not allowed to like Mayer for, well....... see above.
    We're not allowed to like Bonamssa for, well......... pretty much everything.
    We're not allowed to like Clapton for........ something he said nearly 50 years ago coked off his tits and also thoroughly pissed.

So my question is as follows...... 
    According to the custodians of the blooze who love giving their opinion, give us some suggestions of who are we supposed to be listening to, watching live and buying their latest LP's?

Now before anyone answers, keep your suggestions within the following guidelines below:

New or Old Artists, still alive, touring or gigging when allowed and producing new original output.
    No YouTubers who do over complicated covers of other songs and do not tour or produce their own material.
    Once again, must not be dead. No mention of Hendrix, Green, SRV, Healey, Moore etc 

And Go..........

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959

We're not allowed to like Clapton for........ something he said nearly 50 years ago coked off his tits and also thoroughly pissed.

I don't think anyone's actually said that though (in fact the direct opposite is more true). This thread is as much a love-in as it is a... dislike-in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25047
    edited June 2021
    Right, serious post here now........ I'm interested to hear the opinions of the opinionated on this thread and this also crosses a few other knocking threads too.

<snip>

And Go..........

I don't have an answer to your question (it's a good one, too), but before they start...

You call it a knocking thread, but this is a forum... if someone starts a thread they're inviting opinions, and people are entitled to express contrary opinions, just as much as they're entitled to agree with the OP.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:

I don't think anyone's actually said that though (in fact the direct opposite is more true). This thread is as much a love-in as it is a... dislike-in.
    As I said these threads pop up regularly with generally hatred (probably more criticism) for the usual suspects but no suggestions as to who we 'should' be listening to instead of.
    I'm predicting tumbleweed re suggestions still......
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13695
    Can tell he isn't British

"If you want to roll me... you will have to fucking wait... because I'm after the last train and it's probably a fucking replacement bus because of engineering works or a strike... bugger it I'm just going to go nail Mary Spender..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

<snip>

And Go..........

I don't have an answer to your question (it's a good one, too), but before they start...

You call it a knocking thread, but this is a forum... if someone starts a thread they're inviting opinions, and people are entitled to express contrary opinions, just as much as they're entitled to agree with the OP.

Absolutely no problem there, but they come along quite regularly. Usual distain for said artist (quite often only 3 or 4 of them in total, usually popular, successful  etc etc) but never any alternatives suggested along the lines of:
    "If you like him, you might like him, or indeed her give them a listen"
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Bidley said:

As I said these threads pop up regularly with generally hatred (probably more criticism) for the usual suspects but no suggestions as to who we 'should' be listening to instead of.

Why are you asking people to tell you what to listen to? Listen to what you like. Nobody has said any different.

Half the people here laying on the weird hero-worship are the same ones moaning whenever somebody posts a guitarist playing something more than 3 chords and a minor pentatonic lick. It's what happens when people offer opinions!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25047
    Absolutely no problem there, but they come along quite regularly. Usual distain for said artist (quite often only 3 or 4 of them in total, usually popular, successful  etc etc) but never any alternatives suggested along the lines of:
    "If you like him, you might like him, or indeed her give them a listen"
    It's a valid point, but from a personal point of view I'm always uncomfortable suggesting music to other people... I don't expect anyone to like what I like and I probably wouldn't start a thread like this.  If I did, I don't think I'd be too upset if people slagged it off.  I'd be more bothered by a wave of indifference.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    There is no sense in which "I do not like this music" equates to "You should not like this music"

I'm not really a modern blues fan in general, but Gary Clarke Jr seems to get plenty of love.

If it's more of a retro songwriter in general then Michael Kiwanuka is amazing.
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    Bidley said:

Why are you asking people to tell you what to listen to? Listen to what you like. Nobody has said any different.

Half the people here laying on the weird hero-worship are the same ones moaning whenever somebody posts a guitarist playing something more than 3 chords and a minor pentatonic lick. It's what happens when people offer opinions!
    For the simple reason someone may actually come up with a new gem that I or others have not discovered yet. That's pretty much why, then we can have a look / listen and make up our own minds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    Bidley said:

Mayer is in no sense a straightforward blues artist, the songs you could tag as blues in his catalogue probably in the minority, so it’s not an entirely apt question here. Plenty of previous Discussions on here about blues recommendations and modern blues. 

But, generally a lot of love on here for Gary Clark Jr who is more blues based. Marcus King usually gets a shout ( people who have seen him live seem absolutely devoted). King King for modern British blues rock. Fantastic Negrito for someone who seems to understand both the history of the blues and that we are in the 21st century and wins Grammies doing so. Derek Trucks and with Tedeschi Trucks although they’ve been around a good while. I like Mike Zito, one of the best live artists I’ve ever seen although again maybe a bit short on classic recordings. Plenty of old timers still going as well like Jimmie Vaughan ( the marmite of blues guitarists maybe) and Walter Trout. 
    None of them dead as far as I know. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:

Mayer is in no sense a straightforward blues artist, the songs you could tag as blues in his catalogue probably in the minority, so it’s not an entirely apt question here. Plenty of previous Discussions on here about blues recommendations and modern blues. 

But, generally a lot of love on here for Gary Clark Jr who is more blues based. Marcus King usually gets a shout ( people who have seen him live seem absolutely devoted). King King for modern British blues rock. Fantastic Negrito for someone who seems to understand both the history of the blues and that we are in the 21st century and wins Grammies doing so. Derek Trucks and with Tedeschi Trucks although they’ve been around a good while. I like Mike Zito, one of the best live artists I’ve ever seen although again maybe a bit short on classic recordings. Plenty of old timers still going as well like Jimmie Vaughan ( the marmite of blues guitarists maybe) and Walter Trout. 

Thanks very much, I will check out Gary Clark Jnr shortly, I wasn't aware of him so already a good start :)
    I do like Derek Trucks and have seen him live several times solo (and with Clapton) for which no apologies are made.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    edited June 2021
    Bidley said:

Spot on and good question. Particularly as Clapton, Mayer and Bonamassa are up there with my favourite artists! In fact I’d say Clapton takes the number 1 spot overall. I’m 39 and my first recollection of Clapton in “real time” was MTV unplugged, so it’s not all influenced by nostalgia.

I honestly don’t think you’ll get many suggestions (contemporary, living artists as you requested) who under the microscope hold a candle to the aforementioned 3 in terms of song catalogue. Not in the general blues guitar genre anyway. You have the lesser known but guitar community in-crowd favourites like Josh Smith, Eric Gales, Chris Buck and Kirk Fletcher. Phenomenal players but their original songs don’t hold a candle to Clapton or Mayer, not even close. Walter Trout still tours and writes great blues songs (lyrically and melodically) largely within the standard 1-4-5 format. 

Fair enough not to like those mentioned but to shit all over guys with that sort of talent and wide appeal is just curmudgeonly, jealous nonsense.

Edit- Marcus King is excellent, have seen him live. A genuine potential successor to the legends and starting to get recognition as such, although I still listen to Clapton more! Re Gary Clark, his live album is great, full of blues covers. His original studio albums have been disappointing for me, seems like he’s not sure which genre to settle in.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    Bidley said:

Spot on and good question. Particularly as Clapton, Mayer and Bonamassa are up there with my favourite artists! In fact I’d say Clapton takes the number 1 spot overall. I’m 39 and my first recollection of Clapton in “real time” was MTV unplugged, so it’s not all influenced by nostalgia.

I honestly don’t think you’ll get many suggestions (contemporary, living artists as you requested) who under the microscope hold a candle to the aforementioned 3 in terms of song catalogue. Not in the general blues guitar genre anyway. You have the lesser known but guitar community in-crowd favourites like Josh Smith, Eric Gales, Chris Buck and Kirk Fletcher. Phenomenal players but their original songs don’t hold a candle to Clapton or Mayer, not even close. Walter Trout still tours and writes great blues songs (lyrically and melodically) largely within the standard 1-4-5 format. 

Fair enough not to like those mentioned but to shit all over guys with that sort of talent and wide appeal is just curmudgeonly, jealous nonsense.
    Excellent reply and thanks very much!
    I'm familiar with Eric Gales and have seen Walter Trout live a couple of times (pre new Liver) 

I'm not far off your age with a similar taste really so It would be interesting to get some suggestions for new stuff as I don't always get chance to search it out, instead of the negative nonsense that I'll say 'quite often' appears on these type of threads.

Thanks for posting the vid, LP ordered and I reckon I'd definitely be up for Pink Silver Sky too :)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    Bidley said:

Thanks very much, I will check out Gary Clark Jnr shortly, I wasn't aware of him so already a good start :)
    I do like Derek Trucks and have seen him live several times solo (and with Clapton) for which no apologies are made.
    With Gary his album The Story of Sonny Boy Slim is a bit of an acquired taste but loads of great live stuff as well as two other studio albums. He is on one of the Crossroads festival DVDs with Clapton where he more than holds his own with more legendary players. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:

With Gary his album The Story of Sonny Boy Slim is a bit of an acquired taste but loads of great live stuff as well as two other studio albums. He is on one of the Crossroads festival DVDs with Clapton where he more than holds his own with more legendary players. 
    Nice one :)
    They don't have to be the best player on earth, I'm not that's why I build them!
    Just some good songs, decent players and something new & interesting. Thanks
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    edited June 2021
    Nice one
    They don't have to be the best player on earth, I'm not that's why I build them!
    Marcus King as above. Also check out Blackberry Smoke, great songwriting and playing.
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    Nice one
    Marcus King as above. Also check out Blackberry Smoke, great songwriting and playing.
    Love Blackberry Smoke, just bought their new one :)
    I'll check out Marcus King thanks
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    Nice one
    I daren't even mention I'm a big fan of Kenny Wayne Shepherd after the way last post about him went, oops!