SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Price check please (78 Strat)

What's Hot

Comments

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    Gosh! I have a ‘76 with upgraded pickups and bridge, didn’t realise that were worth that much
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    Give it a white guard for Lowell George vibes. Love his Strat...
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    edited June 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    gordiji said:
    Isn't the 'sinner' set very hot ? nothing wrong with KK downing, especially on sinner but it probably won't sound typically stratty.
    Except all his fucking moaning how he didn't really mean to quit Judas Priest, and what a bunch of bastards they are for accepting his resignation letter, and what an even bigger bunch of bastards they are for not inviting him back when he wrote a second letter slagging them all off.  Silly sod.

(Sorry, I think that's a bit off topic.)

I'm out of touch but do remember being impressed by the picture of him almost doubled backwards with a flying v in sounds. I didn't really listen much after sin after sin & stained class. I only saw them on the hell bent for leather tour with that cheesy anthem song (which i never liked) as the encore. Sorry OP
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
    Ossyrocks said:
    Knobs, switch tip, pickup covers and trem tip would have originally been black too.
    I’ve got some black knobs and switch tip spare I can send your way Con if you decide to get it back to its original look. Happy to send to you for nothing given how much I love that amp you sold me. Quite like how the white bits look though.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    edited June 2021
    Ossyrocks said:
    Knobs, switch tip, pickup covers and trem tip would have originally been black too.
    I’ve got some black knobs and switch tip spare I can send your way Con if you decide to get it back to its original look. Happy to send to you for nothing given how much I love that amp you sold me. Quite like how the white bits look though.
    Edit 

Cheers Ben ,  very kind offer mate but I might just leave it as is for now and see whether the pickups stick or not . If I do replace them I’ll get some black covers and drop you a line mate if that’s ok.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    That replacement bridge will be a real bonus, the originals are awful quality. They seem to be made of mazak or some similar soft metal and the blocks are notorious for the trem arm thread stripping out.  

I had a natural 78 at one point too. Mine was a real dog but there are some decent ones around. I still think they look really cool. 
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 207
    I'm a big fan of the Callaham bridge and have one complete one on a guitar and the block and arm on 2 others. They are expensive, but it's the best I've used so far, especially as the arm doesn't wobble in the hole.

However, I do understand your disappointment as although it is definitely in upgrade, sometimes part of buying on old instrument is for the historical aspect and originality affects that for me (much like an antiques collector).

I do think £1500 is a fair price from a shop though even with the non-original parts, especially given the quality of the replaced bridge which is approx £125 new.
    Gosh! I have a ‘76 with upgraded pickups and bridge, didn’t realise that were worth that much
    They aren’t , I’ll give you £500 for it and that’s as a favour :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PS thanks for the input guys - I agree it’s a really nice upgrade that aids playability whilst diminishing desirability. Bit of a paradox there eh ? :-)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Is it a guitar for playing or an investment? 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Just a comment on the price, and I'm no expert on strat pricing. But I bought an all original '74 hardtail last year for considerably more than the price of this guitar. Since then I have watched asking prices increase steadily, but I'm not saying they are selling for these prices, but they are asking.
    stonevibe said:
    Is it a guitar for playing or an investment? 
    Its for playing but to be fair any spare money I have goes into guitars - I dont have any other hobbies that cost much so when I suddenly need cash for a new kitchen, a nose job or whatever else I end up selling a guitar or two to finance it.

I have also been known to sell a guitar or two to buy another guitar :-)
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 834
    DrCornelius said:
    I have also been known to sell a guitar or two to buy another guitar :-)
    Really? This sounds like an odd phenomenon ;) 
  • steviebee74steviebee74 Frets: 33
    edited June 2021
    It’s worth what you’re happy to pay for it, surely? 

If you ask a question like “did I pay too much for this?”, you’ll get several answers and none of them will be alike.

If you like it, keep it but if you decide you’ve paid too much for it, will that be your reason for returning it? 
    It’s worth what you’re happy to pay for it, surely? 

If you ask a question like “did I pay too much for this?”, you’ll get several answers and none of them will be alike.

If you like it, keep it but if you decide you’ve paid too much for it, will that be your reason for returning it? 
    Dont disagree with any of that Stevie - it was more to reassure myself that I wouldnt lose too much if I needed some money in a hurry
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    Looks a lovely guitar pal . . . I do like 70's Strats :-) Whats the neck profile like ?
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

maw4neu said:
    Looks a lovely guitar pal . . . I do like 70's Strats :-) Whats the neck profile like ?
    Cheers - its bigger than others I've had - feels wider at the nut and just generally chunkier all round
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    You took a risk buying a 70s strat blind but it looks like it has paid off! Proof that they are not all dogs. Fair play to you ;)

edited June 2021
    You took a risk buying a 70s strat blind but it looks like it has paid off! Proof that they are not all dogs. Fair play to you

I won’t mention the one on eBay I sent back last week then. I think someone challenged themselves to refret it with a spoon before selling it.  I also think it was made of lead with a thin wooden veneer then 25 layers of gloss paint on top 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    You took a risk buying a 70s strat blind but it looks like it has paid off! Proof that they are not all dogs. Fair play to you

I won’t mention the one on eBay I sent back last week then. I think someone challenged themselves to refret it with a spoon before selling it.  I also think it was made of lead with a thin wooden veneer then 25 layers of gloss paint on top 
    :lol:

I love the headstock on the 70s strats especially when the lacquer ages. Looks great :+1: