Recommendations for an auto wah

surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135
Hi Guys

I rarely use pedals but was given an EH pedal a few years ago that had an auto wah option and surprisingly I used it loads.....just great for funk/rhythm stuff.  Anyway, it broke and so decided to go for a jim dunlop wah which has remained almost totally unused mainly because the range on the foot-pedal was too limited (for me anyway) and it introduced masses of unwanted treble into the signal.  The auto wah seemed to give me what I wanted without any effort on my part!  ;)

Having had a quick look around there seem to be loads of them so wondering if anyone could recommend a decent quality and straightforward auto wah?  Many thanks!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    how much do you want to spend?

I have a mu tron 3 clone and a EHX Mini Qtron if either tickle your fancy?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135

how much do you want to spend?

I have a mu tron 3 clone and a EHX Mini Qtron if either tickle your fancy?
    I really don't want to chuck too much dosh at one just in case I don't get on with it!  Mind you, I have no idea what sort of money they go for.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    You can get a mini doctor Q on ebay for about £30 its probably the most simple. The Q tron I think is a clone of the mutron. It has high pass filters and what not. They go for £35 ish on ebay (micro version). I'm selling one for £30 delivered if that tickles your fancy. 

It does this sort of stuff

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6451
    If you want the full monty auto modualtor - the Emma Discombobulator - but not cheap.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I used to have the mad professor Sniw White which was great. I only sold it because I bought a möbius and I hardly use auto wah really. Check it out on YouTube
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    MAD is the one to have loads of options and it sounds great
    You can get a mini doctor Q on ebay for about £30 its probably the most simple. The Q tron I think is a clone of the mutron. It has high pass filters and what not. They go for £35 ish on ebay (micro version). I'm selling one for £30 delivered if that tickles your fancy. 

It does this sort of stuff

I really appreciate you including the link, it was really helpful to see it in use especially as I want to use it with a strat.  It doesn't seem to sound anything like the auot wah I had before which was one of (I think) 4 effects available on the EH Worm.  Obviously a very basic effect with very little control I seem to remember but it seemed to hit the spot immediately whereas the Q tron sounds a bit more 'out there' than I'm looking for.  I really want an auto wah to just do very basic and consistent wah on chord sequences.  The other thing with EH pedals is that the ones I have had have all died on me.  The Worm I bought new and died within a year so they sent me a replacement and......... that died too!

Maybe I need to get into a music store and try a few?  Peach aren't too far and they doubtless have a good selection.  Thanks again for the link and offer, appreciate it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16634
    For something relatively simple and that doesn't do the extreme stuff a DOD 440 reissue is worth a look.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Thanks guys, I will check these suggestions out.  I have just had a look at the Mad Snow White and it looks just brilliant, exactly what I had in mind.  Yes, it's not a cheapie but if it does what I want it's worth considering.  I will go and see if I can find a Utube clip on the DOD 440.

Like I say, very much appreciate the ideas!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    surfguy13 said:
    It doesn't seem to sound anything like the auot wah I had before which was one of (I think) 4 effects available on the EH Worm.  Obviously a very basic effect with very little control I seem to remember but it seemed to hit the spot immediately whereas the Q tron sounds a bit more 'out there' than I'm looking for.  I really want an auto wah to just do very basic and consistent wah on chord sequences.
    It sounds like you want an *actual* automatic wah, as opposed to what's usually called an auto-wah but is in fact an envelope follower/filter.

Auto-wah - automatically sweeps up and down using rate and depth controls, like a tremolo that does wah.

Envelope filter - the wah effect tracks the strength of your playing.

If you want the first, you want a Boss AW-2 Auto Wah. It can actually do both - even at the same time - so if I'm wrong it's still a good choice! They're relatively common and not expensive, although long discontinued now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited August 2014
    There is a Boss AW-2 here on the forum for sale at only £35 right now.
    Nothing to do weigh me, but I saw the ad and thought of you   ;)

• I have a Qtron - not the mini one, not the plus, just a Qtron.

It's the most fun in a box you can have. Stupidly easy to overuse in funk, daft sounding or tasteful, weird underwater reverse sounds...

I have occasionally wanted to sell because of gas attacks, but I doubt I ever will - I like it too much to price it cheaply.

DOD do a rather good envelope filter, too - I think flea uses one.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16634
    ICBM;311036" said:
    surfguy13 said:It doesn't seem to sound anything like the auot wah I had before which was one of (I think) 4 effects available on the EH Worm.  Obviously a very basic effect with very little control I seem to remember but it seemed to hit the spot immediately whereas the Q tron sounds a bit more 'out there' than I'm looking for.  I really want an auto wah to just do very basic and consistent wah on chord sequences.It sounds like you want an *actual* automatic wah, as opposed to what's usually called an auto-wah but is in fact an envelope follower/filter.

Auto-wah - automatically sweeps up and down using rate and depth controls, like a tremolo that does wah.

Envelope filter - the wah effect tracks the strength of your playing.

If you want the first, you want a Boss AW-2 Auto Wah. It can actually do both - even at the same time - so if I'm wrong it's still a good choice! They're relatively common and not expensive, although long discontinued now.
    The 440 is an envelope filter. Yay me. :(|)
    There is a Boss AW-2 here on the forum for sale at only £35 right now.
    Nothing to do weigh me, but I saw the ad and thought of you   ;)
    Thanks Chris, you're a star.....looks like I've bought the Boss!!  :)

Cheers

Guy
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice and info.....I've just bought a Boss AW-2 here on the forum as it looks like it's the perfect pedal for my needs.  Great result!
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1777
    Mutron Micro V or clone thereof. Best balance of easiest to dial in and sound IMO.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7397
    The Mooer Funky Monkey looks OK

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I use the Line 6 Otto Filter. A great pedal imo. Unfortunately, there are no decent videos of it on youtube. You can pick i up really cheap on dolphin music, and there may even be one in the classifieds now. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6451
    edited August 2014
    57Deluxe;311638" said:
    The Mooer Funky Monkey looks OK

I've yet to get a Mooer pedal to sound as great as those Pyramid Vintage videos ;) 

The Emma Discom-thingy is an envelope filter 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback