Q: What would actually work to tone this pick guard's edges down a bit

What's Hot

Strong coffee, shoe polish, what's worked for you?

I know historically, if it was an old one, it would be whiter than the binding but I'd like to get it closer to the lighter bits of the fretboard binding.

It obviously need scratching up a bit too, and a nickel bracket.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72766
    A small Philips head screwdriver...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    ICBM said:
    A small Philips head screwdriver...
    LOL *deadpan*

I get the guard no guard thing on LPs but semis without look really weird to me.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16818
    edited June 2021
    I use colron liquid scratch cover for dark wood.   Have tried other brands that have a bit too much red in them.

I brush it on, leave to dry, and buff it off.  you can also thin it with white spirit if its too heavy a tint.  you can even clean it off completely this way if you don't like it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited June 2021
    WezV said:
    I use colron liquid scratch cover for dark wood.   Have tried other brands that have a bit too much red in them.

I brush it on, leave to dry, and buff it off.  you can also thin it with white spirit if its too heavy a tint.  you can even clean it off completely this way if you don't like it

Thanks @WezV that ^ looks just right, I'll give colron a try. I've always been very impressed by your aging work so appreciate you taking the time to advise.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14612
    what's worked for you?
    The tar-stained fingertips of a chain smoker. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.