Country Clean Amp

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    IIRC Brad Paisley said the secret weapon in country was a Vox AC30, you just rarely saw them in photos because the endorsement deals were with Fender or Peavey. Fairly sure Brad used an AC30 before moving onto boutique Voxish amps. Although he isn't the typical squeaky clean trad Nashville tone.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • depends on your budget and volume needs.

a lot of the Dr Z range are really good for country twang, some of the route 66 models are excellent for it too but they are at the upper end of the scale, although there are 2 Dr Z's in the classifieds section at good prices.

Of course the Fender's range are what you think of straight away.

EricTheWeary raises an interesting question, I certainly don't consider the vox sound to be country twang.
  • How about that Kustom amp? It's a 2x12 with the funky tucked edges. Relatively new amp - apparently quite popular in these circles.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    It was John Jorganson that first started to use the AC-30 in country stuff in the seventies I believe. Lots of people have followed after including Paisley, Urban etc etc. The Fender is the old sound of country and the newer guys often use the vox circuit but usually in Matchless, BadCat or Dr.Z form. OP who are your favourite country players and who's sound are you after?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • yeah, I've seen Urban use the AC 30's a lot it just never occurred to me that this was the "twang" country sound he'd been using
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have to pipe up here and give a shout out for my new '68 Custom Twin.  OK it is a bit heavy but if you want clean headroom...........

Classic vintage Twin Reverb tones as well as a definitely more tweedy vibe from the Custom channel.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413

AC30s are used a lot by country players and their derivatives like Hayseed amps.

I think Dr.Z's are popular too.

edited August 2014
    koss59 said:
    It was John Jorganson that first started to use the AC-30 in country stuff in the seventies I believe. Lots of people have followed after including Paisley, Urban etc etc. The Fender is the old sound of country and the newer guys often use the vox circuit but usually in Matchless, BadCat or Dr.Z form. OP who are your favourite country players and who's sound are you after?

from somewhere in the back of my memory Brad used the AC30 on his first 3 albums and said it was a naturally warmer, more compressed tone than a Fender and so didn't need a compressor pedal always on like so many country players do. So @Georgie could check some early Brad to see if that sound fits the bill, if not then he's chasing Fender cleans. Random thought : Egnater Tweaker ? Would put you in the Fender and Vox ball parks?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    Deluxe reverb works a treat. I've played it in plenty of bands and it takes drive pedals really nicely. I rarely am able to play it above 3 volume wise live, and I don't play in quiet bands.

Other alternative would be a Hughes kettner statesman which has a great clean channel.
  • What guitar are you using ?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited August 2014
    Bit of a vested interest here bit nothing ventured etc, I'm in Brum (see you're up in Burton) and am selling a Hot Rod Deluxe if that is of interest.

But it does depend on the type of country you mean I think as to whether it would be any good for your needs. I play some country, but more old style like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, that generation rather than the more modern style. It works for me for that but no idea if it would or not for modern sounds, not something Ive tried on any amp

oh and i use a Tele, I believe they are quite popular in country bands?
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    What guitar are you using ?
    I have a Fender Custom 70's Pawn Shop Deluxe strat. Which has the tele neck pick up and the humbucker bridge pick up.
    thecolourbox said:

oh and i use a Tele, I believe they are quite popular in country bands?

Really??? lol!!!

Do you have any vids for me to watch so I can get an idea of the sounds you are playing and the amp in 'action'?

Georgie said:
    What guitar are you using ?
    I have a Fender Custom 70's Pawn Shop Deluxe strat. Which has the tele neck pick up and the humbucker bridge pick up.

I have the 51, for twangier stuff a different bridge pup isn't a bad idea. I have an Oil City thingy in mine - Cow T Ron I think.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I'll see if I can do some recording of it, though I'm not sure my playing will really persuade you haha just a thought. I shall see what I can do
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Lol Brill - or if there are any videos already on that do good demos then send the links.
  • robkayrobkay Frets: 11
    edited August 2014
    Peavey session not valve i know but you can get a great sound through the 15" speaker.....need a new back to move it around.
    Rob
    I already have a back breaking digital amp!! :D
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 387
    edited August 2014
    Musicman amps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything by DrZ, a Maz something or other will do it and a telecaster. Add compression, slapback delay and maybe even a pinch of reverb. Hybrid picking. Killer country tone. Main thing is the telecaster and hybrid picking. The amp is pretty irrelevant to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom