Amp for heavy tight stuff plus genuinely pretty cleans

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Also, I noticed you mentioned funk and Frusciante.

I'd wager that the guitar is more important than the amp in those situations. You need a strat and single coils. Crank the gain on the clean channel, and you'll get there on a very wide variety of amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is true. I can get a really great clean sound from the bandit and single coils, especially with the bright switch, but I feel like treating myself. Also, the drive on it is fine, but I want something more inspiring I guess.

It's odd, I know the bandit does what I need it to but I'm craving something more. Also, the clean channel has quite a prominent hiss - which is distracting, probably on account of its age. The crunch is quiet and tight, and cleans up nicely but again, I find myself wanting something more.

I'll need to get into a music shop and test some of these out, the iron heart 15 sounds promising. The stonehead could be the one, but it's annoying that I can't try the thing out first!
  • Might have thought of the answer!

Blackstar ID. 60 or 120 watt head and cab, should fit the bill. Will take a couple of pedals to the shop next week and try it out, will report back.
  • Cool. Looking forward to your writeup if you get the chance to check them out.
  • I've tried one before, the 60 watt combo, and was very impressed by the sounds but didn't get a chance to really suss it fully so I'll definitely spend more time with it.

So long as it takes boosts well, I can't see it not being the winner. Should be quite affordable, too.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    VC50 would be nice, I've read it's a 50 watt combo version of the VH100R which is a monster rock/metal amp and does cleans well too.

The Ironheart studio is certainly flexible, the cleans are a bit more sterile, although the surprisingly very good digital reverb does a good job of making it sparkle a bit more.

I have mine set up so that the clean channel is clean (obviously), the drive channel is effectively a low-mid gain crunch channel, and the lead channel is set up for a much higher gain more aggressive scooped sound.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Maaaannn... now I've got gas for a VC50.
  • Same here drew.

I will need to try the blackstar, but the Laney is a potential winner - Paul Gilbert used to use the vc50 and gh amps. And he sounded pretty good!
  • Wonder how hard it would be to change it into a head and cab?

I really liked the lh50 I had, the cleans were stupendous and the drive was nice, very classic rock. Didn't have enough saturation for me, though.

I still remember looking at the mahusive toroidal in it and wondering what the hell it is!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The vc50 will blow most combos out of the water, brilliant cleans and drive tones that range from mildly crunchy through to stupid saturation heaven! The great thing about it is that it can do all of those things without compromising, plus it has a fantastic reverb.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    As always...the answer is Laney!

I havebt tried the VC but heard great things. I have tried the GH100 and as a pedal platform it is awespirational!
    (Yes i made up that word...an amp that good deserves its own word)

Only reason i didnt recommend the GH is because i thought you wanted a feature packed 3 channel amp. The GH is very basic but it does it soooo well.
  • I love love love the gh amps mate, seriously awesome crunch but they won't have the versatility for me.

The vc50 seems unreliable from Internet reports... :( could be a real deal breaker.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I toured one for 2 years without a single issue. No flight case, shit venues, probably 150+ shows! I sold it to a mate about a year ago and hes been gigging it too.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    I always wondered how a Laney LH or GH would fare with a Bogner Red pedal. Seems like a great combination to me...
    <space for hire>
  • I know 3 people who have owned vc50's. All 3 amps are broken.
  • timmysoft;313660" said:
    I toured one for 2 years without a single issue. No flight case, shit venues, probably 150+ shows! I sold it to a mate about a year ago and hes been gigging it too.
    Monstronaut;313664" said:
    I know 3 people who have owned vc50's. All 3 amps are broken.
    BAH!
  • digitalscream;313661" said:
    I always wondered how a Laney LH or GH would fare with a Bogner Red pedal. Seems like a great combination to me...
    The lh50 is fucking lovely. And the transformer is cool :p

It just doesn't have the right tight, high gain drive.
    Hmmmm. Well my VH100R is still going strong. I know it isn't the same amp... but the electronics and the innards are exactly the same. I bought it in 2008, used it for two years. Sold it to the other Tacoma guitarist, and he's been using it ever since. It's had a few revalves, but never anything out of the ordinary.
  • Yeah, oddly enough the vh100r appears to be more reliable. Possibly better built? Better components? Just being bigger and better ventilated maybe?

They go stupid cheap these days, if I had room for a massive head and 2x12 I'd get one.
    They go stupid cheap these days, if I had room for a massive head and 2x12 I'd get one.
    you've got room. gwan... gwan ;)