Where to get metal cut/punched in the UK?

Hi guys, anyone know a good place to get a chassis cut in the UK?

I got hold of a friend's old, non-working Carlsbro 2x8 combo which I plan on using as the basis for my first amp build  (the 'Two-Stroke' from the Guitar Amp Handbook, if anyone is familiar with it?). Now this amp used to be a solidstate combo, it has a transformer (no model number or specs though, so I'm probably going to have to write it off) and all the components look suitable for an FX pedal, but probably wouldn't stand up to the voltages a valve amp would use, so I'll be starting from scratch there. However, the chassis is in good condition and the combo is also fine - the speakers are Celestions so I'll certainly give them a go before I start swapping! 

The problem is there are no holes for the two transformers and 4 valve sockets, plus I'd like to get a new faceplate cut (as the current one has about a million controls labeled with holes). Anyone any idea where to go either through a national chain or in the North West? Thanks!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader

Laser cutters or water jetters spring to mind, some make up a vector image from a sketch & measurements, but they all take DXF files if you can make one.
    Some have a minimum charge. Most if not all will supply metal sheet (you'd want stainless I guess).
    Paul who runs http://www.whengparts.com is a good guy and does one-off's.
    You can get acrylic sheet lasered too if you want coloured plastic.

Or buy a step drill bit and DIY, clamp the metal sheet over some scrap plywood. That stops the metal being dished and the clamp stops it ripping out of your hands... Mark up, centre punch and drill away - slower with a bit of oil is better than going fast, and don't push too hard, it'll munch nice neat holes then.
    The far side of the sheet may be slight burred, just flip the sheet and very gently run the step drill in it, just enough to smooth away the burr. Job jobbed :)

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    Thanks mate, yeah I considered doing it myself - it's the square holes for the transformers I'd struggle with!! Will check out the guy you mentioned though :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

Drill holes at or very near the four corners and fretsaw between 'em, file to straighten up if needs be, pulling down on the supported sheet so it doesn't get wavy from upstrokes. But laser or water's neat and deadly accurate and there's loads of 'em around these days if WH can't do it for you.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade works well for square holes, drill in corners first though as like @Corvus said

For large diameter round holes I use a cone cutter in a normal drill  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Or buy a hole punch like this for the valve sockets 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Danny1969 said:
    Or buy a hole punch like this for the valve sockets 

Yes I've always wanted a set of those