The Boutique Amp Shoot Out

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    C B A
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Answering before I read the thread so I’m not influenced- C, B then A in order of preference for me
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1567
    Lots of win for the Lazy J!

@gassage, what’s your preference?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    Win for Jesse!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    Lots of win for the Lazy J!

@gassage, what’s your preference?
    A for low gain and chords.
    C for Lead

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4678
    Overall, C - B - A.  But C was lacking something on the third sample.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2614
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    So- the reveal:

A Vibroverb
    B Hiwatt
    C J40.
    Thats what I was thinking listening to your video, wish I had got in before the reveal. 

Did you have the tone controls all pointing directly up on each amp? i.e. not set for the best sound of each amp? The Hiwatts I have heard are bright but not lacking in bass.
  • Wait.... you can get amps that don't distort?! :open_mouth: 

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Gassage said:
    So- the reveal:

A Vibroverb
    B Hiwatt
    C J40.
    I couldn't really tell them apart in all honesty, probably a phone speaker thing.
    I was surprised by the hiwatt sound, owning the same amp. I didnt hear any of the full richness and massive frequency range I associate with my amp.
    Definitely shows the power of the eq section
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • B
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Yuck. None. Where's the gain?! Please redo video with an always on mt2 or hm2 and humbuckers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited July 2021
    Well, not gonna make me popular I know, & really sorry about this - but based on those tones - in all honesty I really didn't like any of them.  Perhaps it's just the recording & in the room it might be totally different of course  - but they all just seemed, well - bland is the only word I can think off - there just seemed to be no real warmth or sparkle coming through in any of them  s  

...I'll consider myself off the Christmas card list and I'll go get my coat & let myself out!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    Voxman said:
    Well, not gonna make me popular I know, & really sorry about this - but based on those tones - in all honesty I really didn't like any of them.  Perhaps it's just the recording & in the room it might be totally different of course  - but they all just seemed, well - bland is the only word I can think off - there just seemed to be no real warmth or sparkle coming through in any of them  s  

...I'll consider myself off the Christmas card list and I'll go get my coat & let myself out!  
    Yeah, I only have an iPhone. Mind you I've deleted you off the Amazon wish list now.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Gassage said:
    Voxman said:

Yeah, I only have an iPhone. Mind you I've deleted you off the Amazon wish list now.
     =) :)  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)