Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4992
    Kalimna said:
    As a crossover to the fungi thread, the fungi kingdom is more closely related to animals than plants...

Fungi is a dolphin that lives or used to live in Dingle Harbour in Kerry.  Boat trips to see Fungi or to swim with him are/were very popular activities.  I saw him many times, he seemed to enjoy the company of people.  Fungi has not been seen much recently so there is a lot of concern for his wellbeing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2793
    edited August 2021
    Kalimna said:
    As a crossover to the fungi thread, the fungi kingdom is more closely related to animals than plants...

So are fungi animal, mineral or vegetable ?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    sev112 said:
    Kalimna said:

So ate fungi animal, mineral or vegetable ?
    The symptom of a disease. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    The rail station in Wombourne in Staffordshire was signed as Wombourn by GWR who thought that it would stop confusion with Wimborne ( some 175 miles away!). The station was closed in 1965. 

I don't know if that's weird but it's certainly useless information. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    If something costs £19.99, it is a “princely sum”.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    sev112 said:
    Kalimna said:

Neither. They do not belong to the animal or plant kingdoms, they have their own.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    Rocker said:
    Kalimna said:

Fungi is a dolphin that lives or used to live in Dingle Harbour in Kerry.  Boat trips to see Fungi or to swim with him are/were very popular activities.  I saw him many times, he seemed to enjoy the company of people.  Fungi has not been seen much recently so there is a lot of concern for his wellbeing.
    By a remarkable coincidence, my son has just returned from a week staying in Dingle.  His hosts told him many tales of Fungi, and have an astonishing picture of him leaping out of the water next to their daughter sailing a dinghy.  
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I have been living at my current address in leafy Sussex for eight years. Yesterday I discovered that there is a racing pigeon club at the end of our cul-de-sac. I wasn’t expecting that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Karl Marx is obvs a very prominent and mentioned figure from history, yet there is very little mention of his sister “Onya” who invented the starting pistol!.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The first customer to use a cash point in the U.K. ( I don’t think we’ve had this yet) was sitcom actor Reg Varney. 

Apologies to anyone under 60 who now has to Google who Reg Varney was. 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Richard Thompson ( solo artiste, Fairport Convention ,etc) and Hugh Cornwall ( solo artiste, The Stranglers,etc) went to school together for a while and in the same band briefly ( Emil and the Detectives, Hugh played bass). 

Again, probably not weird but interesting that a figurehead of punk and a figurehead of folk rock were very much contemporaries. 

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    The first customer to use a cash point in the U.K. ( I don’t think we’ve had this yet) was sitcom actor Reg Varney. 

And of course his son Jamie is doing great at Leicester…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    edited August 2021
    JerkMoans said:
    Rocker said:
    Kalimna said:

By a remarkable coincidence, my son has just returned from a week staying in Dingle.  His hosts told him many tales of Fungi, and have an astonishing picture of him leaping out of the water next to their daughter sailing a dinghy.  
    funny - funghi and a dinghy in dingle
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11339
    poopot said:

And of course his son Jamie is doing great at Leicester…
    Not to mention his son Barmy, who has gathered together many England cricket supporters into a well-known group. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2416
    edited August 2021
    EDIT: wrong thread.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5015
    The Human League were obsessed with Judas Priest and used to open their set with Taking On The World 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    The Human League were obsessed with Judas Priest and used to open their set with Taking On The World 
    This seemed sufficiently unlikely that I looked it up and it's there. I doubt no more.
    The original version evokes memories of being on the stands at the Molineux freezing my tits off watching some dead rubber match between the Wolves and Sunderland. 
  • Blimey that original theme was awful wasn't it, I for one am glad they changed it. 
    Although written by Ronnie Hazelhurst who was one of the UK's most successful theme  tune writers - Yes Minster, Are You Being Served,etc,etc.
    For a brief glimpse of Ronnie he's the conductor here:

Ooh lyndsie de Paul and  what’s his name , Mike Moran ?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Kalimna said:
    sev112 said:
    Kalimna said:

Neither. They do not belong to the animal or plant kingdoms, they have their own.

Is it true that mushrooms are the "flower" (I suppose the reproductive part which produces the spores) and the main body is underground? 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Kalimna said:
    sev112 said:
    Kalimna said:

Is it true that mushrooms are the "flower" (I suppose the reproductive part which produces the spores) and the main body is underground? 

My understanding is that the 'mushroom' is the 'fruiting body' part of the organism, and the vast network of fibrous growth under the surface is the main part, also known as 'mycelium'.
    I am not a botanist, and am quite happy to be corrected on this.

As a side note, the spalting of wood, often seen in beech or maple, is a result of the initial stages of fungal degradation of wood and the black lines are effectively where adjacent colonies meet and sortof set up defences.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom