KLON / SOUL FOOD Blind test on YTube...

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
edited August 2014 in FX
this will help a few people... is part #1

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065

I can't watch this as work PC disables Youtube but I've seen a test in TGP about a guy doing a blind test with the original Klon, the Mystic Overdrive and Soul Food.  They all sound 90% the same as one and other.  There are VERY small differences if you listen for it but in isolation I really doubt you can tell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3112
    Good demo. I don't know which is which but I like B better. It's a bit more open sounding (I think) ... but I can't say that isn't my speakers etc. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Tests like this annoy me;  How can I say which one is better until I know which one is the dearest?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10640

Not a fan of either, amp sounded better before he switched em in. They are not too bad on single notes but don't sound great as soon as there's more than one note being played .... for a boost an attenuator pot  in the loop be better
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    There is the argument of youtube compression...but, if you going to spend that much on a pedal I hope you are a gigging musician who will most likely have their signal compressed to some extent anyway.

both sound good to me, I would get the soul food, but if I could afford it, I will get the Klon
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    B is Klon me thinks, his leg gives it away
  • randomhandclaps;313429" said:
    Tests like this annoy me;  How can I say which one is better until I know which one is the dearest?
    Exactly, you can't measure the emotional quality.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    randomhandclaps;313429" said:
    Tests like this annoy me;  How can I say which one is better until I know which one is the dearest?
    Exactly, you can't measure the emotional quality.
    yeah - but in the dark it is a level playing field with the blind...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

So there are klons and klons... :p
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Does make the ehx great value - I prefer the sound of B but if I wanted that type of sound either one would do the job - if B is the cheap one I should grab one...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2415
    Also, didn't someone say they got specially selected ktr's from the man himself for that extra 5 percent tone or something?

Yeah :))

A sounds a little softer, B a bit brighter/louder. At the same settings. To my ears, and with my craptacular stock laptop speakers.

Ah nice, later in the vid he's tries to dial them in to sound the same, rather than just going by the same settings. Nice work. :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73242
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Also, didn't someone say they got specially selected ktr's from the man himself for that extra 5 percent tone or something?
    No, not a mere 5%… 8-10%.

Personally I'd be quite pissed off if I got one of the good ones and it was only 8% better, knowing that there are others which are another 2% better than that.

:)

I thought B sounded marginally more open and perhaps a little fuller, A was possibly a tiny bit more focused. Very hard to tell them apart given that his playing wasn't identical for each though, and a couple of times it almost seemed the other way round. No idea which is which. Both sounded good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2415
    ^ Yeah they may well have swapped, I stopped listening closely after the first little bit. Sounded close enough to me that soul food it is, whichever one it is :D
  • ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

No, not a mere 5%… 8-10%.

To clear this up and avoid confusion, it's actually dependent on whether you are using the US or European tonal percentage scale.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    I prefered B quite a bit. No idea which is which though.

You wouldn't expect them to sound exactly the same as they have different clipping diodes.

You can get the Soul Food modded to exactly the same spec if you are bothered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    Dave_Mc said:

Yeah :))

A sounds a little softer, B a bit brighter/louder. At the same settings. To my ears, and with my craptacular stock laptop speakers.

Ah nice, later in the vid he's tries to dial them in to sound the same, rather than just going by the same settings. Nice work. :D

pretty much that through my ear bud things. In a band mix undetectable I should think. Non blind A B with the Fredrics Zombie on this by the same fella from about 5:30 :
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • joeyowen said:
    B is Klon me thinks, his leg gives it away
    I thought the same!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited August 2014
    /\ although don't forget he is 'down under' and water drains the reverse way down the plug hole...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• Results are up there now.
    *spoiler below in white font*
    Complete fail, giving it away with his leg! A = Soul Food, B = Klon