Broadcaster wiring, can I coil split my humbucker?

What's Hot
Hi, looking for some help on wiring in my latest modding project, as I can’t find anything on the web that helps.

I have rewired my tele to broadcaster wiring as per the broadcaster with blend diagram on the link below.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/three-cool-alternate-wiring-schemes-for-telecaster

I fitted a humbucker in the neck a la Keith Richards, and am loving the tones I am getting from it, however as usual my need to tinker and potter has found me contemplating whether I can split the humbucker with a spare push/push switch I have lying around to get single coil sounds also. 

Is this possible with the wiring as per the above link?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Yes, assuming the humbucker has the wiring to allow it. The coil split wiring is independent of the pickup selection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
    Thanks, the humbucker does have the wiring to do it. At present live is wired to the switch with the other wires taped off. Pictures I have seen for splitting, show both sets of wires going to the pot. How would I make the split work with the live going to the switch? Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    WBT2079 said:
    Thanks, the humbucker does have the wiring to do it. At present live is wired to the switch with the other wires taped off. Pictures I have seen for splitting, show both sets of wires going to the pot. How would I make the split work with the live going to the switch? Thanks
    It still goes to the switch exactly as it does now.

All you need to do is use the push-pull to switch the coil split connection to ground, or if that leaves the wrong coil of the humbucker on, to the same pickup hot connection on the switch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    CAUTION: Not all Telecaster control cavities are created equal.

Vintage routs are the same depth all the way along. 

Some examples of the American Standard Telecaster have a shallower portion between the volume and tone pots - exactly the space that the terminals of a regular push-pull pot need to occupy. 

If your Blend pot has a special/custom resistance taper, your push-pull pot would have to be under the volume control.

Alternatively, use a special five-way selector switch and the circuit from a Fender Fat Telecaster SH. The coil splitting is automated by the selector switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
    Thanks both, I’ll have a play this weekend and see where I end up