Advice - build high-quality Telecaster or buy a pre-made decent-enough one

What's Hot
Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
Hi thar!

I don't own a Tele. I'm considering building one from some high quality components ((roasted?)maple neck + ebony fboard, bone nut, candy red body with double-binding, Gotoh bridge with compensated saddles, Kluson tuners, Mojotone '52 clone Alnico 3 PUPs, puretone jack, fancy boutique wiring, etc).

Thing is, I can attach a neck to a body, etc, but I'd need a guitar tech/luthier to do the electrics / proper first-time setup / etc. So I wouldn't be able to play the guitar before it's built. So I really don't know if it's going to work!

If I bought one pre-built (say a 50s Vintera), the overall components would be of lower quality, but I'd be able to try it and I'd know it would work.

I've built a partscaster from a MIJ Squier strat, but then I had it/played it when it was in original state (before I started changing parts, replacing neck, etc).

Anyway. Advice greatly appreciated. If it helps I have a very good luthier near-ish (Feline in S London).

Thanks all,

C

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    Basically going for this sort of look.

https://imgur.com/Y4MPPIo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I’ve built a tele from parts, I bought all the electrical components separately and wired the lot, what it taught me was to buy a pre wired harness!   
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 230
    After about 6 Tele builds, I'd recommend MJT Aged Finishes for wonderful Tele bodies, in almost any configuration of colour and ageing you'd want - and Musikraft do the best necks.  Re the final set up, you simply have to factor the cost of this into the build; Feline would be great for that (although I always use Charle Chandler).  IMHO, a light swamp ash body (4 lbs, or slightly over) plus a chunky neck is the way to go - and as Teles are already bright, I might suggest rosewood over ebony... partscasters represent the majority of guitars I've actually kept over the last 20-30 years, which speaks for itself.  If you invest in the very best parts (Callaham springs to mind; Monty's do great Tele pickups, and Charles Guitars have an excellent range of hardware), then you can potentially get Custom Shop quality.  Some may not agree - but that's how I see it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    edited July 2021
    I built this one a couple of years ago:

When I say "I built" the process was:

GSPBasses built the neck and body.  Swamp Ash body, roasted maple neck (didn't ask for flamed but very pleased when it turned up), rosewood board.

I sent all the hardware to Feline, Graham sent the body and neck to them.  Jonathan and Tom did the last remaining bits of woodwork - drilled and fitted the tuners and threaded neck inserts and did a "dry fit" and initial setup.  I went to collect it and we talked about a few bits and pieces and options.

I took it apart, sent the body to Rich, lamf68 for finishing in Cadillac Green and I oil finished the neck.

Body came back, looking just as I wanted, I assembled it and did the electrics, cavity screening etc. 

I let it bed in for a couple of months then it went back to Feline for final fettle.

I've ended up with exactly what I wanted (although I still wonder if I should have gone for double bound!) and it was a pretty smooth process. I'd recommend the dry-fit stage with @FelineGuitars
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    I'd say go for it, but be prepared to lose out on resale if you sell it later, or be ready to strip it and sell the bits separately. For me, it's as much about learning during the process as it is about the end result. I put one together last year and it turned out great, but I wanted to do a better job on the finishing, so I'm on the second one now. I also don't think all this Callaham, Gotoh etc. is worth the expense. Wilkinson is good stuff. Just make sure the body is the right weight for you. and if you don't know what you want from a Tele in the first place, because you've never had one, then I would perhaps buy one and see if you even like that style of unforgiving, nowhere to hide guitar. Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Building up a guitar from parts to exactly your spec is great way to get just what you want and also to lose lots of your money, if you sell it. 

Current Fender stuff from the upper Mexi ranges is outstanding right now but all the very best teles I’ve played have been from small builders who really care. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Agreed on resale. Building your own is something you do to get exactly the guitar you want and for the fun, challenge and learning experience. You don't do it with any notion of recouping your outlay later. 
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    edited July 2021
    I had my own partscaster of Musikraft neck and body  (MJT nitro finish) and mostly Callaham parts (Gotoh bridge) put together by Jamie Davey. I used Fender vintage pickups, which are amazing (I usually go for Haussel, Fralin or SD).   It’s on a 50s spec (Tadeo taper, neck hump) and a soft vee neck.  This is it:
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ve built them because I like odd ball stuff that you can’t find off the shelf very easily. They cost a bloody small fortune if you go for decent stuff and get someone tidy to do a decent finish and let’s face it, job to get £400 for any parts guitar unless you split it up as dazzajl says

ive just done a red Strat. Lovely guitar but best part of £1000 in the end. Sheesh sounds even worse as I write it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I have a couple of Musikraft/MJT builds (complete JM and P bass and a Strat neck) and they’re great. You do need to accept you won’t be able to sell the whole thing for what you paid, and you need to be confident on specs, AND at the lament they have wait times of several months. But if you’re onboard with those caveats they can be really really good. 

Otherwise I’d look at something used and Mexican to get the right vibe then worry about if you want to upgrade or trade up later

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    I was going to ask what the budget will be for the partscaster but, since a Fender Vintera retails for approximately £700, I shall take that as a yardstick.

My gut instinct is that, unless you are hell bent on the self-assembly approach, put your money towards something that you can resell if a Telecaster turns out not to suit you. e.g. Pre-owned Fender USA Standard or Performer series.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Just depends if you really want a nitro finish, personal spec neck, etc. I’ve put a few together and really enjoy the process of sourcing the parts, nitro finishing a raw body and neck. The piece becomes more your own if you’ve carried out most of the work. But, if all that stuff isn’t  important to you, I’d look out for a used American Vintage or Original.

Wouldn’t bother with an expensive aftermarket bridge. standard fender bridge with some Callaham saddles is just right.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    It’s a shame Musikraft no longer offer laquer finish options (it’s a thin sealer or oil only these days).
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    dcg said:
    After about 6 Tele builds, I'd recommend MJT Aged Finishes for wonderful Tele bodies, in almost any configuration of colour and ageing you'd want - and Musikraft do the best necks.  Re the final set up, you simply have to factor the cost of this into the build; Feline would be great for that (although I always use Charle Chandler).  IMHO, a light swamp ash body (4 lbs, or slightly over) plus a chunky neck is the way to go - and as Teles are already bright, I might suggest rosewood over ebony... partscasters represent the majority of guitars I've actually kept over the last 20-30 years, which speaks for itself.  If you invest in the very best parts (Callaham springs to mind; Monty's do great Tele pickups, and Charles Guitars have an excellent range of hardware), then you can potentially get Custom Shop quality.  Some may not agree - but that's how I see it...
    Exactly this ......get a Mark Jenny Body (MJT) and Musikraft or US Custom Guitars neck 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Mr_Claw said:

I would just buy a Fender, buy used and you will get your money back if you want to sell down the line.
    You almost certainly won't with a partscaster.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Mr_Claw said:
    going for this sort of look.

That looks for all the world like a Fender Japan Sixties re-issue Custom Telecaster.

Metallic paint finishes and binding rarely come cheaply.

Fancy wiring means different things to different people.

On a regular Telecaster, there are six permutations of the two single coils. All of these can be accessed directly via a Freeway 3B3 selector switch. The Schaller Megaswitch M (schematic diagram SS3) provides five of the six permutations. IMO, in the long term, the Schaller may prove more robust.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    octatonic said:
    Mr_Claw said:

I would just buy a Fender, buy used and you will get your money back if you want to sell down the line.
    You almost certainly won't with a partscaster.
    You also know what the end result is by going fender 

When taking the partscaster route you are it risk of assembling something that is dead and lifeless.
    You can find all this out with a pre-made fender or 20
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Agreed on resale. Building your own is something you do to get exactly the guitar you want and for the fun, challenge and learning experience. You don't do it with any notion of recouping your outlay later. 
    This.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    There is also that whilst it is great to get the spec that you won't, but you don't know how they all gel together until it is together.  
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    I would say that, if you've never built a guitar before and you want something that is a quality instrument as an end result, buy one. With the best will in the world, your first go at something will be less than ideal, and will either take a lot of time, effort and money to fix, or will cost a lot to have someone else sort it. A quicker and probably cheaper option is to buy something decent from a decent shop and get them to set it up for you (I bought a LP style Vintage brand, really nicely set up, for £350

If you want an instrument that is made to your specification and it's not something that is commercially available without a very expensive custom build then speak to your local tech, supply them with the parts and have them assemble it. You can do some of the prep work (preparing and painting the body, sorting the finish on the neck and so on) before hand, and they can then assemble it and set it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom