The Limehouse Golem.

Good fun, great performances.

8/10

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2270
    ennspek said:
    Brio said:
    Steer clear of Die Hard 5. You’re welcome.

Odd name for a film....
    Die Hard 5: Yippee Ki Yay Motherf***** was already taken.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Danny1969 said:
    Midnight Sky ... latest film on Netflix directed and starred in by George Clooney 

An unexplained event has made our world inhabitable in the near future
    @Danny1969 how was it?

I saw Mary Queen of Scots with Saorsie Ronan and Margot Robbie and they were both amazing. 
  • I’m still watching every hallmark Christmas film I can get my hands on, and that’s a lot 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched Blood Diamond on Netflix today. Impressed.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Danny1969 said:
    Midnight Sky ... latest film on Netflix directed and starred in by George Clooney 

An unexplained event has made our world inhabitable in the near future
    @Danny1969 how was it?

I saw Mary Queen of Scots with Saorsie Ronan and Margot Robbie and they were both amazing. 
    It's very under done with a tiny cast but I quite liked that. It's set roughly 20 years in the future so technically a sci fi movie 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Wild Rose 

I’ve really done f**k all today :anguished: 

On Netflix. Starring Jessie Buckley who was on I’d Do Anything ( couple of in jokes in the film about TV singing competitions) and Julie Walters. Both are excellent and Jessie has a tremendous singing voice ( she gigged a set based on the movie for a while apparently). Story of a woman from Glasgow trying to make it as a country singer. Partly set in the Grand Ole Opry which seems to be a real place in Glasgow. 

Good independent British film, probably helps if you have a taste for country music but not essential. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited December 2020
    Wonder Woman 1984

There's a good story in there, just crying out for a decent editor and much less-obvious wire work for the fighty bits. At least 40 mins too long. Pedro Pascal is excellent as ever, and Gal Gadot is still hot so there's that at least.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I watched the new Grinch animation with my daughters. I had pre decided that I wouldn't like it, however, it was rather nice actually, it lacked the pure unpleasantness of Jim Carrey's Grinch but as lighthearted Xmas fare it was OK. I can see us watching it again another year.
    Finally got around to watching the Trial of the Chicago 7. Excellent film with some great performances. Quite shocking really, but also fascinating. It makes you realise that there are some right c***s in power, eg the Judge and also the Attorney General. 
  • Batman Returns

I've seen this a bunch of times and don't count it among favourites but I always forget just how damn weird it is. Basically just a generic Tim Burton movie that happens to have Batman in it. And it's pretty messed up.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171

Whiplash (Prime)

Why have I never seen this before?  It’s always been on my radar in the periphery but taken me a long time to get round to watching. 

An incredibly tense and emotional. I don’t think another film has made me feel the range of emotions this one did. 

I’ve seen films with tension before; hurry up you moron the killer is coming, or the heist has gone wrong and the protagonist is caught in an awkward situation - those types of things. The tension and range of different emotion in this film was altogether very different - very hard to describe but it was gripping in a very different way. 

J.K Simmons played his part incredibly well and those scenes where he’s laying into the musicians, I felt almost like I was in the room with them. 

The performances from all the actors were flawless and the music was wonderful. 

Best film I’ve seen for a long time. 

10/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Wonder Woman 1984

Don’t bother. The only decent thing in it is Pedro Pascal. 

3/10. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16477
    edited December 2020
    3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. Fantastic cast, fantastic performances, great story. I wasn't totally convinced by the bad cop sudden epiphany, but other than that it was good. I liked the way it ended, nicely subverting expectations and all that. Surprisingly funny, for such a grim story. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    VimFuego said:
    3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. Fantastic cast, fantastic performances, great story. I wasn't totally convinced by the bad cop sudden epiphany, but other than that it was good. I liked the way it ended, nicely subverting expectations and all that. Surprisingly funny, for such a grim story. 
    Great film, Frances McDormand is absolutely riveting in this. It took me a while to figure out where I’d seen the cop Jason before. He was Wild Bill in The Green Mile (Sam Rockwell). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16477
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego said:
    Great film, Frances McDormand is absolutely riveting in this. It took me a while to figure out where I’d seen the cop Jason before. He was Wild Bill in The Green Mile (Sam Rockwell). 
    She's one of those actors who seems incapable to giving a bad performance, I think she's just fantastic. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I think 3 Billboards is one of the best films of the last 10 years, both in the writing and the execution 

Watched Tesla last night. Wasn't actually bad but not the film it could have been. Then again making a film about a subject so technical was always gonna be impossible. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    Death of Stalin

watched it last night on iPlayer, it was one that I would have gone to see at cinema nut missed the very short showing window at my local.

It’s an Armando Ianucci driven black comedy project. It’s far from perfect but has high production values, a good cast and a few laugh out loud moments.
    VimFuego said:
    It's a superb film, but I don't think I'd ever watch it again. Too much horribleness for me, and I didn't like the ending that much either. Can't say more without spoilers.

Note: It's not a bad ending, just my personal feeling about it.
    FarleyUK said:
    Wonder Woman 1984

Don’t bother. The only decent thing in it is Pedro Pascal. 

3/10. 
    What about beautiful Gal Gadot?