What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

During my childhood in the seventies and eighties you wouldn't in a million years ever admit to fancying a redhead, but now I think it's one of the most attractive features a woman can have. I also now prefer the 'fuller figured' lady as apposed to the more boyish figures of yesteryear. 

That's quite an oblique film review. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

During my childhood in the seventies and eighties you wouldn't in a million years ever admit to fancying a redhead, but now I think it's one of the most attractive features a woman can have. I also now prefer the 'fuller figured' lady as apposed to the more boyish figures of yesteryear. 

Oops, wrong thread.  :)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858

Oops, wrong thread.  :)

It's one of the rare cases where the remake is better than the original.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I just watched "The Duelist" for the first time.

Fascinating film 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Coming 2 America

The first one was bad enough but this was the biggest pile of bollocks I’ve seen for a long time!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    Red Dog 7/10
    Australian canine related movie, nothing ground breaking, but very watchable and not too sickly. Really enjoyed it.

Big Fish 8/10
    Not really a Tim Burton fan, but I thought it was just a fantastic film. 

Uncle Frank 7/10
    Paul Bettany is great in this, very enjoyable film.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited March 2021
    A Star is Born (2018).

I'm a big fan of the James Mason/Judy Garland version and I must confess the idea of a remake with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper did not seem promising.  But the reviews/word of mouth on this were good enough to pique my interest, and it was available when I was looking for something to watch, so I ended up giving it a go.

In the event it turned out to be a real curate's egg of a movie, better in some ways that I might have expected, with some genuinely moving bits, but still in the end a shallower and more incoherent film than the Cukor classic.  One of those films that just about keeps you engaged for the time it takes to watch without leaving you with a sense that the time was particularly well spent. 6.5/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Skate Kitchen - 2018

Excellent low budget film about a bunch of skate teens in New York. Primarily focused on an eighteen year old experiencing problems with her Mother - and subsequently befriending a group of other girl skaters.

Some good modern story telling and great shots of a skater's life in NYC.

8/10
  • Hidden Figures about the women at NASA during 60s. Really enjoyed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The Tourist

Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp head up the cast of this slightly odd romantic thriller set in Venice.

Jolie, looking as smug as she always does, and looking all teeth and eyeballs, plays a woman who is in love with some dude who is in hiding after stealing a fortune from a gangster.  Said gangster is obviously pissed and is out to kill him, the cops are also looking for him for said crime.  

Jolie is trying to find him via coded messages she receives, one of which instructs her to find a decoy who the police tailing her will believe is the man they're looking for - enter Johnny Depp.

Johnny Depp is the hapless American tourist who gets caught up in Jolie's web of deceit but who inevitably ends up falling in love with her, in like a day and a half (rolls eyes), and refuses to leave even after he finds out she's been using him as a distraction.

Very inevitable ending you can see coming with your eyes closed and while doing complex mental equations on fluid dynamics.

Still quite an easy to watch film with very little violence or language to speak of.  Must also be the first film I've seen where Johnny Depp isn't in some kind of bizarre role.

6.5/10

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited March 2021
    Pet Satsuma 

Pet Sumatran 

Pet Samaritan 

Pat Cement 

Something like that? On Netflix. It’s a bit cheerless. I guess well made if you like Stephen King stuff. 

Edit: not a spoiler but the name of the cat is a bit of an in joke relating to John Lithgow if you watch it and pick that up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1098
    The Map of Tiny Perfect Things - 2021 on Amazon Prime

It's a time loop movie. It's been compared to Groundhog Day by some but it's quite different I think.

Enjoyable and worth a watch 7/10

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    My octopus teacher  - Netflix

Docu film about a camera man who goes exploring under water and builds up a relationship with an octopus. Brilliant bit of film making, highly recommended. 

Last Breath - Netflix

Another underwater docu film of a true story make using a lot of the real footage. A saturation diver gets cut off from his umbilical life support and the race is on to save him.  Fascinating true account that's well worth watching 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    wibble said:
    The Map of Tiny Perfect Things - 2021 on Amazon Prime

It's a time loop movie. It's been compared to Groundhog Day by some but it's quite different I think.

Enjoyable and worth a watch 7/10

Just watched this. Started slowly and I thought it was going to be garbage but it improved a lot. I'll go 6.5
    What Happens in Vegas (Prime)

Very funny romcom with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Dias. Seen it before but  really enjoyable to watch. There’s no real plot and the ending is predictable even if you’ve never seen it, but it’s very funny along the way. 

7.5/10

Bird on a Wire (Netflix)

Oldie but a goodie with Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn. Not seen it in years and honestly forgot how well put together Ms Hawn is!

Other than that it’s quite a good movie, a good ride and quite funny. The ending at the zoo is a bit convoluted and drawn out, though. It’s very much a film of its time which I don’t mind as it has a nostalgic atmosphere which takes me back to my youth. 

7/10

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Mary, Queen Of Scots

Fictionalised historical drama. I knew it wasn’t meant to be accurate, and that’s OK. Although there were a few laugh-out-loud moments if you’re familiar with the geography of Scotland... a bit Holy Grail-ish in places :).

But as a film, very well done and with some great performances - not just Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, a lot of the supporting cast are brilliant, and there’s a great role for David Tennant as John Knox, complete with enormous beard...

8/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    I really shouldn't have watched Coming 2 America.......
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    Train to Busan presents: Peninsula

Four years after the events of Train to Busan, the Korean peninsula has been abandoned by the outside world - it's now inhabited by hordes of zombies and a few lawless groups of survivors. 

This pinches most of its ideas from Land of the Dead, Escape from New York and Mad Max 2... the action scenes are pretty good, especially the car chases where they run over dozens of CG zombies.  Unfortunately it's way too long and really plods whenever the action stops.  Worth a watch though.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited March 2021
    I could say the same about Chronicle: 2067......

I’ve seen better acting from Joey Tribianni...4/10

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Danny1969 said:
    My octopus teacher  - Netflix

Docu film about a camera man who goes exploring under water and builds up a relationship with an octopus. Brilliant bit of film making, highly recommended. 

Yes, what a gem. Mrs 001 was entranced by the film and asked me to watch it with her. I was a little underwhelmed at first, but as the story evolved it really connected. Very unusual and really heartfelt.