What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LogieLogie Frets: 445
    The Sisters brothers on prime. Excellent film, great cast, felt a little like a gentler Tarrantino film. Well worth a watch 9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited March 2021
    Point Break on Prime... I somehow overlooked this all these years. Absurd yet entertaining...
    I know Reeves gets criticised a lot for his acting but I thought he was quite convincing in this as an FBI agent - this was apparently his first serious role, having previously starred for the most part in teen flicks.
    7.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited March 2021

Apocalypse Now
    Doesn’t really need a review does it? Title speaks for itself. Have to admit it took me about 5 sittings to fully appreciate. Incredible filmmaking (and apparently an absolute nightmare to film as well)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5750
    edited March 2021
    National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Possibly the most implausible plot line of any film I've seen since in ages!

Outlandish, bonkers, totally unrealistic and so many things that could never ever happen in real life, not to mention the effortless globetrotting in timeless fashion and without a hint of jet-lag.

Absolutely loved it, though.  As an escape from reality into an adventure, absurd as it is, that makes you feel a bit like a 9 year old again it's a fabulous film.  Perfect amount of adventure, comedy and action to keep all manner of viewers entertained.

So yeah, a jolly good family film that isn't made by Pixar.  My only gripe is Riley Poole.  He has the unenviable job of being the bumbling intelligent idiot - he's very clever but not quite clever enough that Ben Gates doesn't have to explain everything to him in order for the viewer to understand all the riddles and clues needed to get to the next scene in the film.

9/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1583
    Point Break on Prime... I somehow overlooked this all these years. Absurd yet entertaining...
    I know Reeves gets criticised a lot for his acting but I thought he was quite convincing in this as an FBI agent - this was apparently his first serious role, having previously starred for the most part in teen flicks.
    7.5/10
    An all time fave - it has it all : Great plot, crime, humour, surfing (!!!!), Flea, Lori, Keanu and best of all Gary Busey. As for Patrick Swayzey, he does ok too.

What a film !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496
    Here's an under the radar great western film on Netflix 

The Sisters Brothers .... 2 brothers working as contract killers in the mid 1800's get into adventures and troubles through the Oregon mountains and the California gold rush.

This isn't a normal western. All the cliches are thrown out and the dialogue and actions of the characters are far more believable and it's a far better film for it. Highly recommended  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Settled down to watch Aquaman last night with Mrs DJ (on prime). 

Awful CGI, awful dialogue, we actually turned to each other and decided not to bother after about half and hour. 

Maybe it gets better, but I doubt it. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24734
    Settled down to watch Aquaman last night with Mrs DJ (on prime). 

Awful CGI, awful dialogue, we actually turned to each other and decided not to bother after about half and hour. 

Maybe it gets better, but I doubt it. 

It doesn't.

The only good cgi in it is the underwater hair fx.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1545
    Me and my eldest son watched Indepence Day 2 last night.
    Daft plot. Shoehorned characters. Cliched. Utterly, utterly ridiculous in any measurable way. 
    Yet thoroughly entertaining for what it was - brain popcorn. Fabulous.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 550
    Outside the Wire - Netflix 

Super soldier modern warfare nonsense but enjoyable none the less. 7/10
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Man From Nowhere (2010)  Another kick ass Korean action thriller. In this genre the Koreans don't do original, but they do the generic very well indeed.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19205
    PSA. Easter Day, BBC2, 3.05pm "The Vikings" with Tony Curtis & Kirk Douglas.
    Say no more  ;)
    Say no more  ;)
    Thanks - I have never seen it, so will take this opportunity.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23394
    Say no more  ;)
    I've seen it countless times - I loved it when I was a little kid and I still think it's just as good when I see it now.  Enjoy! :)
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3730
    edited April 2021
    The Wrestler.  Skipped it for years.

Totally involving, top notch acting. Did not touch my iPad once throughout. 10/10
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited April 2021
    Barry Lyndon

A Stanley Kubrick firm I saw listed in a top 10 historical war movies.

A war movie it is not. Best described as a period drama. It is long, slow moving and thoroughly intriguing. But don't expect a Holywood ending as it is a rather sad tail

I did enjoy this one
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16306
    Philly_Q said:
    Say no more  ;)
    I've seen it countless times - I loved it when I was a little kid and I still think it's just as good when I see it now.  Enjoy! :)
    Every bank holiday needs The Vikings and The Great Escape. Have found the latter on Netflix but the Weary family not looking keen. 
    Ooh, also Jason and the Argonauts. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Every bank holiday needs The Vikings and The Great Escape. Have found the latter on Netflix but the Weary family not looking keen. 
    Sorry - not looking keen to watch The Great Escape on a bank holiday ???

What the f@*k is going on ??!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16306
    Sorry - not looking keen to watch The Great Escape on a bank holiday ???

What the f@*k is going on ??!!!!
    I know, I blame myself. I shall be seeking family therapy once the bank holiday weekend is over. If I haven't shot myself over the shame first. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19205
    ^  Teach them all to whistle. Immediately! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom