What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2352
    I watched Unfrosted on Netflix, and I have to say it's the most relentlessly silly thing I've ever seen. I think by the time I got to the funeral with full cereal rites I was laughing out of control. That said, I suspect the market for it is fairly small and a lot of people will hate it. Essentially, it's one of the very silly episodes of Seinfeld (a Kramer and Mr Costanza have a business idea type episode) at feature length. Anyway, I fully expect the next person to mention it to say it's the worst thing they've ever seen. 
    I like Seinfeld so I'll give it a go.
    I’m the next person, me and the missus constantly laughing out loud.. and it’s the first time I’ve managed to not cringe when Amy Schumer is on the screen. 

Solid 8/10 from us for giving it us some solid laughs.

....and Unfrosted is now on my list thank you!

My Brother in Law has just been talking to me about Baby Reindeer.  Another on the list.

All great things to consume my time away from music project work though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 578
    I watched the Martian again. 
    Cracking film and I love the dry sense of humor.
    Jessica as well......purrrrr
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    Barbie (Now/Sky) With a sister and OH to entertain, I thought this might be a laugh. It's not. Even though I'm a smash-the-patriarchy-guy, this was dire. There was some smart writing, but far too much speechifying got in the way, and the set pieces were not special enough. And every time Will Ferrell was on the screen, it was hard not to hit the [FFWD 10s] button. 1/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    Bullet Train (Netflix)

Several professional criminals and assassins find themselves on a train from Tokyo to Kyoto, all squabbling over a mysterious briefcase and knowing that a crime boss called The White Death is waiting for them at the end of the line.

A good cast features Brad Pitt (...the big-budget Nicolas Cage), Aaron Taylor Johnson, Michael Shannon, and Americans Brian Tyree Henry and Joey King doing half-decent British accents.  Plus some amusing cameos.  It's all incredibly stupid and over the top, and I was finding it kind of annoying to begin with, but eventually the sheer ridiculousness won me over.  It's like John Wick with laughs.

Bad Behaviour (Amazon Prime)

Jennifer Connelly plays a former child actor who goes to a silent retreat in Oregon to get her head together... presumably something happens later in the film, but I found the first twenty minutes so irritating and boring that I gave up.  Maybe I'll try again another time.  Or maybe I won't.

Kristy (Amazon Prime)

Justine, a student who is staying, alone, on her college campus over the Thanksgiving weekend has to fight off a group of hooded thugs who have chosen her as a target.  This is a low-budget little horror thriller, nothing new in terms of plot but it's acted and directed with considerable style.  I liked it a lot.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    VimFuego said:
    Jurassic World - Dominion. Don't, just don't. 
    And yet, despite reading this review, we somehow still did. What a steaming turd of a film. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24630
    Watchmen - Ultimate Cut.

It's the only Snyder film I like. I dislike the others to the point that I would gladly sacrifice this one to remove all the others from existence.

Nevertheless, the Ultimate Cut is not as good as the Directors cut. the UC adds in a bunch of cartoon sequences that worked in the graphic novel but just get in the way here.

The DC adds a lot of proper scenes compared to the theatrical release and it makes it a better film. The UC seems to have a few seconds of other live action that the DC doesn't though.

It would be great if the DC had those few small extras in it.

Anyway - the film is polarising as it deviates from the graphic novel. A story of grim and flawed super heroes now condemned to being distrusted by the world with the exception of Dr Manhattan, a genuine superbeing / god who seems to be tolerated only because the US government wants to use him as part of their military force.

There's a murder and some investigations and twists and turns, all while the world is concerned with WW3 and a Nixon government.

Personally I think the changes from the novel were necessary - I can't see how the novel events would have worked on the big screen without looking a bit silly.

There's some great performances from the cast with the exception of Malin Ackerman who comes straight from a first attempt at a nativity play. Jackie Earle Haley is excellent.

It's full of the usual Snyder stuff that grates so much in other films, the slo-mo, the excessive rain etc, but in this film it works, probably because the source material is so strong, and it suits the source material.

The Directors Cut is worth a 7.5/10
    Theatrical at about 6
    Ultimate Cut only a 5/10 really. The cartoon sequences just ruin the pacing completely - to the point of wondering if it's a pirate version with some crap accidently put in.

Alan Moore is a genius. Snyder is a hack. Perhaps one day it will be remade with a director worthy of Moore's creation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego said:
    And yet, despite reading this review, we somehow still did. What a steaming turd of a film. 
    The last couple of Jurassic World films have been so similar that I struggle to remember which I've seen and which I haven't.  Looking at the plot synopsis of this one, I'm pretty sure I have seen it.  It was probably over Christmas and I was probably fairly drunk.  I don't remember much about it.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    In The Land Of Saints And Sinners (2023), Netflix
    I enjoyed this too last week
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    edited May 6
    Chariot (2013), Freevee

Seven strangers wake up to find themselves on a plane with no recollection of how they got there or why.  There is no cabin crew and the cockpit doesn't respond to their requests for information.  The passengers are from seemingly disparate backgrounds and appear to have nothing in common - or so it would seem.  When a phone is suddenly discovered however, the reality behind their situation dawns on them.  But does it?

This was a bit slow.  The acting was OK-ish - a couple of characters chewed up the carpet a little unnecessarily - and some (admittedly minor) events weren't very well explained.  I did quite enjoy it though despite the fact that the end was a bit of a lazy cop-out.

5/10

T H E M (Prime), 2021

Sci-fi about something or other.  I lasted for 15 of the most tedious, boring, irritating, pretentious minutes it has been my misfortune to endure before reaching for the remote and putting myself out of my misery.

Avoid like the pox.

0/10
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego said:
    The last couple of Jurassic World films have been so similar that I struggle to remember which I've seen and which I haven't.  Looking at the plot synopsis of this one, I'm pretty sure I have seen it.  It was probably over Christmas and I was probably fairly drunk.  I don't remember much about it.
    Yup. I honestly don’t know why they bothered to hire a scriptwriter for this, a twelve year old could’ve made a decent stab at it just from watching the previous films. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687
    ^ We watched JW Dominion last night.  Didn't think it was quite that bad.  Made to a formula, for sure and made to be more action than plot centric.  Wasn't the best but still enjoyed it.

And, it does have Bryce Dallas Howard in it, and I'd crawl over hot coals to poke her poo with a stick, so worth it for that.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego said:
    We've been looking at the trailer for it and trying to figure out if we've seen it or not. We think we probably have but then if you've seen one JP film, you've seen them all.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    An American Werewolf in London - still a classic. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2352

Unfrosted 
    Netflix

As previously reviewed. Extremely silly comedy about cereal wars of the 60s in the US from the perspective of Kelloggs.
    I laughed quite a few times - pretty good -  but then I'd already had about 3 glasses of wine so it was about right.  Pacing was very patchy.

7/10 if you are a bit pished and in the mood for stupidity
    5/10if not. And if you can't bear Seinfeld just walk on by. He's on screen a lot. and he directed himself....
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    Moonfall.

The thing about science fiction is that it doesn't mean all the science can be wrong, unless you're Greg Egan. 

-2 out of 3.1
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    edited May 8
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego said:
    We've been looking at the trailer for it and trying to figure out if we've seen it or not. We think we probably have but then if you've seen one JP film, you've seen them all.
    Halfway thru it and quite enjoying it myself. 
    Mixing of the old and new cast, the cinematography is stunning, the chase thru the back alleys of Malta was superb (though similiarstuff already done in one of the Bourne movies and the last Indiana flick?).
    Nice to see Lupin step onto the international stage (and a jolt hearing him speak english for the first time). 
    They throw in the whole conservation and genetically modified crops angle as well... 

the only thing that lost me was the girl child cloning thing. Seemed shoehorned in and I couldn't remember how that all came about from the last movie?

So as a big budget Hollywood movie - yeah it's fine. 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7236
    Dogma (again)

Bloody brilliant, one of my favourite films despite it being a bit random and clunky at times.  I went to a church school so love all that old testament stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1020
    Ouija Shark 0.001/10 Looks like someones college project made on a mobile phone. Switched off after about 20 mins. We thought it might be funny to watch in a 'so bad it's funny' kind of  way, like some horror films are, but this was just completely unwatchable and so, so boring.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    Keiko said:
    Ouija Shark 0.001/10 Looks like someones college project made on a mobile phone. Switched off after about 20 mins. We thought it might be funny to watch in a 'so bad it's funny' kind of  way, like some horror films are, but this was just completely unwatchable and so, so boring.

Holy crap!  Not only did they make a sequel, but Ouija Shark 3 is in the pipeline...
    edited May 9
    Five Nights at Freddy's (Amazon Prime)

The makers of this film must have watched The Banana Splits Movie and Willy's Wonderland and thought to themselves "you know, giant murderous cartoon-animal robots are all very well... but what our film really needs is a deadly-serious plot about a twenty-something loser trying to keep custody of his kid sister whilst dealing with his own childhood trauma".

It's hard to describe how bad this is.  It's completely devoid of humour, not remotely scary and worst of all it's incredibly dull.