Adrian Belew’s new Fender CS Strat

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
https://www.facebook.com/6696764994/posts/10151610771249995/?d=n

Interesting account of the build. Glowing endorsement of the Vega Trem too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Nice looking Strat, love the body colour and how the silver p/u covers bring everything together. 

I wonder how that trem works better with four screws rather than the conventional Fender two post? You’d think there’d be more friction with four points of contact. I’m not doubting Belew’s opinion, if he says it’s better then he’d certainly know, just curious. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1483
    Into that.

I guess the colour is just like CAR, but instead of the silver or gold base it'll be a metallic red
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That's a sweet guitar.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    The blue one is pretty sweet as well. Bit different compared to his bright orange signature Parker model.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Love those aluminium cupcakes - hate the teeny tiny neck.

Glad he's back playing Fender's, I was always a big fan of his kahlered Mustang. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    does that mean he has stopped playing his parker fly?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited July 2021
    does that mean he has stopped playing his parker fly?
    He states in the post it is purely a MIDI guitar, so he needed something else

" my signature Parker Fly guitars are strictly midi guitars. they cannot be played by plugging them into a stomp box or guitar amp. they require a special Roland 13-pin chord. 

so…. I decided out of necessity to change to a simpler set up and to use a normal non-midi guitar. naturally I chose a Fender Stratocaster. I called Ron Thorn and my pals at the fender custom shop and the process began. at the same I began looking at various options for a simple guitar set up including a storm of stomp boxes, pedalboards, etc."

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Shame he went HB in the bridge - I loved his sound with single coils with TH, Bowie

Could have popped in some Zexcoils with silver covers...

Glad he's (seemingly) going back to the Old Ways. It'll be a jc120 next ...
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    edited July 2021
    Greatape said:
    Shame he went HB in the bridge - I loved his sound with single coils with TH, Bowie

AFAIK a HB in the bridge is required for the Sustainer to work properly.

Also, the trade off with a Sustainer is that the bridge pickup needs to be set quite close to the strings for it work, probably closer than is optimal  for a pure bridge pickup sound.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    boogieman said:
    I wonder how that trem works better with four screws rather than the conventional Fender two post? You’d think there’d be more friction with four points of contact. I’m not doubting Belew’s opinion, if he says it’s better then he’d certainly know, just curious. 
    I think it pivots on one long knife edge.  The four screws just use the existing screw holes to hold the front bar in place, it could equally well be two or six screws.

Nice looking guitar, although I don't like any of the specs!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Not for me but Adrian is an absolute boss. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    I think it pivots on one long knife edge.  The four screws just use the existing screw holes to hold the front bar in place, it could equally well be two or six screws.

Nice looking guitar, although I don't like any of the specs!

Ah yes, that would make more sense. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Greatape said:

Also, the trade off with a Sustainer is that the bridge pickup needs to be set quite close to the strings for it work, probably closer than is optimal  for a pure bridge pickup sound.
    I'm thinking of the Ed O'Brien strat...that has a sc sized HB. Presumably any noise cancelling pickup would work?

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    Greatape said:
    Greatape said:

I'm thinking of the Ed O'Brien strat...that has a sc sized HB. Presumably any noise cancelling pickup would work?

I’ve no idea whether the humbucker requirement is for noise cancelling or some other reason.

@steelcustomguitars installed mine, so he might be able to shed some light?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Not something I would ever own but AB is cool as fuck.