Gibson Les Paul - nitro finish cleaner to get rid of hazing & swirls

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3403
The Dunlop D65 polish I have is useless for polishing up years of hazing on my LP custom. I've been looking at vids and it appears you need a cream polish that is mildly abrasive and effectively takes a thin layer of the nitro-cellulose finish off - kind of like a 't-cut' that you might use on a car.  Some videos use soft cloths, others a fine micro-cloth but I'm concerned these might scratch. Videos I've seen include Gibson pump polish, Eternashine, music Nomad, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish.  Eg

So, having watched numerous videos, read reviews (some of the variation you read is really extreme!), and because I don't want to damage my LP I'm confused, unsure, and a bit nervous at trying to figure out which is the best - a product that genuinely works and will get rid of haze and swirls, polish to a new 'straight out of the factory' shine, but not damage my guitar.  And do you genuinely need to buy expensive polishes or are there 'generic' solutions that pro's use? 

So, to all you pro-experts out there, what really are the best most effective and safest 'cream' type products to use and the right type of cloth that will get my LP back to a pristine shine that 'stays' but won't damage it? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 7257
    edited July 29
    Tcut… or similar polishing compounds…

edit… cut up an old cotton T-shirt or pair of under crackers to use as a cloth!…
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 3403
    edited July 29
    poopot said:
    Tcut… or similar polishing compounds…

edit… cut up an old cotton T-shirt or pair of under crackers to use as a cloth!…
    Thanks for fast response - Is T-Cut safe - would it be too 'aggressive' and could it damage the guitar?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 7257
    T cut is fine on nitro.

Add a bit of water if you want to dilute it a smidge.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1414
    Virtuoso guitar cleaner. I had a 67 335 with a very hazy finish and it sorted it right out.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 6947
    The key is to have a range of stuff from coarse/harsh to fine/gentle. There is a T-Cut for metallic paint which is a gentler abrasive than the normal stuff. Meguiars Scratch X is also finer than T-Cut I suspect. I’ll finish off with Music Nomad polish which is an extremely gentle abrasive, if at all.

For a beat-up or dirty polyester or polyurethane finish I’ll start with rubbing compound and work my way up.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 9142
    tFB Trader
    The key is to have a range of stuff from coarse/harsh to fine/gentle. There is a T-Cut for metallic paint which is a gentler abrasive than the normal stuff. Meguiars Scratch X is also finer than T-Cut I suspect. I’ll finish off with Music Nomad polish which is an extremely gentle abrasive, if at all.

For a beat-up or dirty polyester or polyurethane finish I’ll start with rubbing compound and work my way up.
    I use both T-Cut and Meguiars - But agree that I think Meguiars is finer - I tend to use both when 'cleaning up' a guitar ready for sale 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 10950
    I've used T-Cut a lot, not as a regular polish but when I used to mess about spray-painting or patching up the finishes on my guitars.  It works a treat, especially on nitro - some finishes are harder and it's more difficult to remove fine scratches or sanding marks.

But yes, T-Cut is quite abrasive, when you use it you are removing finish.  Fine for occasional use on a large area but I have had rub-throughs on the edges of the body or headstock a couple of times.
    Thanks guys. I've also read that toothpaste works well? Thoughts?
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 1724
    3M Finesse-It.

I've used it on Gibsons and nitro PRS Private Stocks.  Takes away the swirls really nicely with a proper microfiber cloth.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 5508
    Voxman said:
    No. You can use brasso though but best to use a proper thing. I use Mequires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 9142
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Never heard of that - Maybe if you want it in that 'as new' or 'MINT' condition then it might be a good idea
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 7970
    edited July 29
    Lots of polish from car detailing will work then.

If you are worried about taking OFF the nitro then use SRP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Super-Resin-Polish-1L/dp/B009LHHHZE/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=52622346945&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwo4mIBhBsEiwAKgzXOIH3nuBhkvqlG4oYQzWf870MqpyVJZhuVYuLI62EKpkGapEzEmI5nBoC6_QQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259015631403&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9044965&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17175507983702235220&hvtargid=kwd-377019992281&hydadcr=12238_1856443&keywords=autoglym+-+super+resin+polish&qid=1627567631&sr=8-5

This is a filler polish, rather than remove material, it fills the gap.  And as you use the guitar after, it will wear off and then sort of needs reapplying later on as needed.

On a car with the weather, rain and driving at 70mph this means the weather will takes it off naturally.  On a guitar, it should last a hell lot longer.

Ultimate Compound is another one that will breaks down and get finer as you polish it.  So rather than use different type of grit of polish, this does it all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G17216EU-Ultimate-Compound-Restorer/dp/B002KKCLO6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ultimate+compound&qid=1627567748&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOEdWOVZOWkU2TzJTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTYxNzYxMVgzTTFTODFHSEs3NSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTY3NTg4Q0s5RVhVUDFESERQJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 2176
    Tomato sauce is great if you want to clean brass....well door handles anyway
    Voxman said:
    Never heard of that - Maybe if you want it in that 'as new' or 'MINT' condition then it might be a good idea
    LOL!  :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 5234
    When detailing cars, by hand for polishing I use a meguiars foam pad for application, and a proper microfibre cloth for buffing off. 

Only thing I’d say with Autoglym SRP, is like someone else said, its a filler with very little cut and its full of silicone to boot. So that ‘may’ cause issues for refinishing in future, as silicone is a nightmare for bodyshops. 

I have used SRP a lot on cars, and had many panels refinished, no ill effects.

SRP doesnt provide much protection, and would usually be protected with wax or a sealant after. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    For a guitar I don't want anything that adds stuff like filler or silicone.  
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1492
    Big Bends Encore scratch remover
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 2275
    Virtuoso is great, as is Gerlitz too.

.....I don't care if you're big in the city, nothing at all is what that means.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • J.PJ.P Frets: 17
    If polish ain’t doing it for ya this’ll do the trick. Finer than a cutting compound so perfect for getting rid of hazing. Never used it on a guitar but plenty of cellulose paint/clear coat
    https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/fillers-and-preparation/halfords-rubbing-compound-421107.html
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 547
    tFB Trader
    @Voxman - I can recommend Lizard Spit VIP - great stuff for nitro/vintage and delicate finishes

https://www.windmillguitars.com/products/lizard-spit-vip-vintage-polish

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, D'Angelico, Victory Amplification and Supro. (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)