SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB 1987 (or any 80's or early 90's) Ebony Gibson Les Paul Custom

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibe said:
    Somehow doubt prices will drop. It would appear there have been some pretty large price hikes from most of the major guitar manufacturers in the last 12-18 months, so used prices will follow that I would imagine.

They tend to blame all the added cost is down to more expensive wood, fuel cost, and then there was the loss of manufacturing during lockdowns, and I doubt prices will drop again. I have also heard many are struggling to buy parts in bulk, as the issue goes all the way down the chain.

I get the feeling used prices will be high for a good few years.

That’s a shame £2.5 seems fair  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • time to bump this bad boi for the weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just to comment on the prices, I bought a 76 custom three weeks ago for 2250. It was without case, had a tiny bit of binding pulling away from the body (easy fix) and needed new tuners, but other than that was in ex condition with little wear. I ended up selling it on as I don’t like Nashville bridges and thick cutaway binding… but the bargains are still out there….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Norlin4life said:
    Just to comment on the prices, I bought a 76 custom three weeks ago for 2250. It was without case, had a tiny bit of binding pulling away from the body (easy fix) and needed new tuners, but other than that was in ex condition with little wear. I ended up selling it on as I don’t like Nashville bridges and thick cutaway binding… but the bargains are still out there….
    was it from a private sale? just out of interest.
  • Just to comment on the prices, I bought a 76 custom three weeks ago for 2250. It was without case, had a tiny bit of binding pulling away from the body (easy fix) and needed new tuners, but other than that was in ex condition with little wear. I ended up selling it on as I don’t like Nashville bridges and thick cutaway binding… but the bargains are still out there….
    Just want to add to this, last year during the first lockdown I was offered a '78 ebony LPC, no issues, £2k, and ended up buying a '72 LPC, 1 headstock repair, £2.7k, as it was a Kalamazoo model. Prices are definitely inflated at the moment due to lack of supply. I wonder how many people charging 3.5+ are actually making sales?
  • mark123 said:
    I would wait a year and see if  the prices drop to 2.5k,no one can predict but i think they will drop when the penny drops with all them that have theirs listed for 3.5 to 4k and months down the line they haven't sold.
    This was what I was hoping, although I've been looking for one since early 2020 and the price has been fairly consistent and good examples aren't easy to find so it tough to judge really.
    I would 100% wait if you're happy to. Demand for guitars soared through COVID, apparently a stellar year for sales, and people have had limited means to spend their disposable income. As things return to normal, people want to go on holidays etc, I'm sure those £4k guitars that seemed like a good idea at the time will be back on the chopping block. Availability of new models should also help.
  • Norlin4life said:
    Just to comment on the prices, I bought a 76 custom three weeks ago for 2250. It was without case, had a tiny bit of binding pulling away from the body (easy fix) and needed new tuners, but other than that was in ex condition with little wear. I ended up selling it on as I don’t like Nashville bridges and thick cutaway binding… but the bargains are still out there….
    was it from a private sale? just out of interest.
    Yea it was, I really try not to buy from dealers unless they are brick and mortar. Funnily enough the likes of Coda and Vintage and Rare charge less for used 70’s/80’s vintage than most internet dealers. Whilst it’s true that late vintage period guitars are going up in value, I highly doubt they’ve reached the 5-6k that some are asking for average examples. I also find that they are usually quite cagey about condition whereas genuine shops have nothing to hide and understand the actual price difference between grades. 

• I'm happy to wait but the issue is, this year, in a decent condition as close to OG as possible doesn't seem to crop up very often at all.
  • Another week, another bump. for you all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Weekend bump, still hunting. I'd be tempted for an 80's or even early 90's as long as it's in excellent nick and not a TOTAL boat anchor. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6402
    Well, it's not in excellent condition @robdynamite but this 1987 LP Custom in black appeared on IdiotBook today: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/318343396777969/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

• goldtop said:
    Well, it's not in excellent condition @robdynamite but this 1987 LP Custom in black appeared on IdiotBook today: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/318343396777969/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

I'm trying to check it out but it's been took down sadly but will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for keeping me in mind!
  • Bump!
  • Bump.
  • Up up and away
  • I've got a 98 one if its of interest 
  • I've got a 98 one if its of interest 
    i've dropped you a message.
  • Last bump for the year.
  • I have a couple of 80's Les Paul Customs, they can vary a fair bit so try before you buy, I wouldn't buy online. They can come with a number of different pickup options, depending on what they had on the day lol

The neck shapes too, later 80s ones are a bit rounder and fatter than an earlier one.

Don't be put off man, if its a particular year you are after it is worth waiting until one comes up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a couple of 80's Les Paul Customs, they can vary a fair bit so try before you buy, I wouldn't buy online. They can come with a number of different pickup options, depending on what they had on the day lol

The neck shapes too, later 80s ones are a bit rounder and fatter than an earlier one.

Don't be put off man, if its a particular year you are after it is worth waiting until one comes up.
    Thanks mate, I've decided to keep on track for one as i know if I opted for something else, i'd only keep wishing i'd held out for an '87. Ever since I missed one back in 2019 it feels like i've never seen one for sale since. 

Obvz i'll be looking for some Shaw's and not a complete lemon.