How should I go about un-potting my un-potted pickups?

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited July 2021 in Guitar
PRS McCarty's with the McCarty pickups have a reputation for being a bit plummy, so I was always expecting to swap a set of Thornbuckers into this guitar when I got it, but I was surprised when I took the McCartys out last night

Pretty sure these were un-potted when stock and I'm fairly sure that nobody considers this a Pro-job of re-attaching the covers

https://i.imgur.com/aM3HW3v.jpg
(no idea why this isn't inserting the pic for me, it normally works? - thanks for @mrkb for posting below)

How much difference it'll make it probably debatable (it's clearer with the Thornbuckers, but you've never mistake it for an Ash Tele), but how would I go about taking a few pounds of wax out of these?

I'm reading that Naphtha (aka lighter fluid?) may be preferable to heating them up to melt the wax?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    I think they're potted as new - I can't be certain since I don't have mine any more. I would use heat to melt the wax out - I'd be very cautious about using any kind of solvent.

For what it's worth, if you're intending to use these without coil-splitting, cut the white wires about an inch from the pickup, fold over the end and heatshrink to protect it. If you want to use the coil splits, it would be better to replace the cabling with two-core shielded. Why PRS intentionally leave the coil-split wires out of the shielding, I have no idea - it causes considerable noise issues. (Actually worse when not split, since the white wires then act as an aerial.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Cheers @ICBM - any ideas on max surface temp for the metal of the pickup if I'm using heat?

Figuring that I can use a thermometer gun to keep it below the failure point of whatever's the weakest link in the pickup internals (the bobbin maybe)?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    SunDevil said:
    Cheers @ICBM - any ideas on max surface temp for the metal of the pickup if I'm using heat?

Figuring that I can use a thermometer gun to keep it below the failure point of whatever's the weakest link in the pickup internals (the bobbin maybe)?
    Yes, the bobbin is the bit to worry about.

I've always done it with a hairdryer and some kitchen roll to absorb the wax, and just use the minimum amount of heat until the wax starts to flow out. Not very sophisticated, but I haven't damaged a pickup so far...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    ICBM said:
    I think they're potted as new - I can't be certain since I don't have mine any more.
    I've had 3 McCarty's and the pickups were potted in them all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Cheers Gents - I’m assuming this has been extra-special thrice dipped at some point - not seen this much wax since a trip to Madame Tussauds as a kid
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    Hairdryer, as @ICBM said.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I’ve used a heat gun on low, as soon as the wax starts to melt I remove the heat source so that I don’t overheat the bobbins etc. I’ve found that even some old Epiphone humbuckers can sound pretty decent when most of the wax is melted out.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2259
    Could you immerse it in some hot water, above the melting point of the wax, and then dry it out thoroughly?