The Friday Rock Show

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2635
    I was just the right age - about fourteen/fifteen - when the FRS started, and it was basically a way to sample all this music I was hearing about but couldn't actually listen to - total potted education in pre-punk rock music. 

Something I learned from Mr Vance that people don't usually mention is that although he was synonymous with rock music, he seems to have loved all kinds of music. Once he was on the Round Table on a Friday evening and one of the records was by ABBA. He basically said "I know it's not fashionable to say you like ABBA, but..." and then went on to list all the things that people today say are great about them, but in about 1980. Another time, he was waxing lyrical about heavy dub. So I didn't just learn about heavy/classic/progressive rock, but also that it was a good idea to like as much stuff as possible. 

(Apart from anything else, it means there's more stuff that you like around, which is a definite win.)

That said, of all the musical subcultures, I found that it was people on the rock/progressive scene who were the most broadminded, despite the fact that their reputation was the opposite way round. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Something I learned from Mr Vance that people don't usually mention is that although he was synonymous with rock music, he seems to have loved all kinds of music. Once he was on the Round Table on a Friday evening and one of the records was by ABBA. He basically said "I know it's not fashionable to say you like ABBA, but..." and then went on to list all the things that people today say are great about them, but in about 1980. Another time, he was waxing lyrical about heavy dub. So I didn't just learn about heavy/classic/progressive rock, but also that it was a good idea to like as much stuff as possible. 

I remember seeing him on a few things and realising that his musical tastes were broader than just rock music.  As a very tribal, long-haired, denim-jacket-with-patches teenager that irked me a little, but fair play to him, it never seemed like he was bullshitting or faking it when presenting the Rock Show.

(My own musical tastes haven't really broadened much in the subsequent 40 years, I have to say.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    edited July 2021
    Used to listen to it on an old Binatone alarm clock radio in bed as a nipper.I didnt even acknowledge that the sound was probably terrible I used to lie back playing air guitar on the bed, a simpler time I think. I remember feeling dead naughty when hearing AC/DC doing Big Balls.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 540
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Loved the Friday Rock Show and Thomas Vance 'the music vendor' during my early/mid teens. He also did M C duties at the Monsters if Rock. He might also have done them at live aid but not sure on that.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I was just the right age - about fourteen/fifteen - when the FRS started, and it was basically a way to sample all this music I was hearing about but couldn't actually listen to - total potted education in pre-punk rock music. 

(Apart from anything else, it means there's more stuff that you like around, which is a definite win.)

That said, of all the musical subcultures, I found that it was people on the rock/progressive scene who were the most broadminded, despite the fact that their reputation was the opposite way round. 
    Bang on, this. I too remember TV talking on TFRS about other records and gigs he'd heard/ been to that were from a broad variety of styles. 

He had sound musical tastes and wasn't afraid to express them. Another thing that sticks in my mind was in the late 80s during TFRS when during the show they ran a trail for a R1 show featuring U2, who at the time were promoting Rattle And Hum. After said trail, TV said something like " 'Rattle and Hum' features what has to be the worst version of 'All Along the Watchtower' that you'll ever hear". 

Rock on TV.