Lizzy and Amy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    I saw Halestorm a few years ago and really enjoyed it. 

Not my kind of thing at all, but they were really fun. Which I think is the best word to describe them---objectively they're not the best band but they had an infectious sense of fun which, frankly, is what you need sometimes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    I've listened to quite a bit of Nightwish and I'm yet to say I'm a fan though.   Think I prefer more grit than opera. :lol: 
    Huh...not sure you've heard the whole Floor repertoire. She's got rock grit, metal growls, even pop - she's completely convincing in all of them. She doesn't just do Nightwish ;)

I won't pollute this thread with it, though. I'll start another one at some point...
    <space for hire>
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Had a listen to Floor, just comes across as a Cookie Cutter singer, US type of BritPop alumni who will have a shelf life counted in months, you need to have something unique these days to make a ripple worth riding
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    I've listened to quite a bit of Nightwish and I'm yet to say I'm a fan though.   Think I prefer more grit than opera. :lol: 
    Huh...not sure you've heard the whole Floor repertoire. She's got rock grit, metal growls, even pop - she's completely convincing in all of them. She doesn't just do Nightwish ;)

I won't pollute this thread with it, though. I'll start another one at some point...
    I will do some more youtubery  cheers
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited July 2021
    sweepy said:
    Had a listen to Floor, just comes across as a Cookie Cutter singer, US type of BritPop alumni who will have a shelf life counted in months, you need to have something unique these days to make a ripple worth riding
    Sorry, shouldn't have LOL'd this. I assumed you were joking, but I'm not so sure on a re-read. What did you listen to? One of her covers from that TV show?
    <space for hire>
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    sweepy said:
    Sorry, shouldn't have LOL'd this. I assumed you were joking, but I'm not so sure on a re-read. What did you listen to? One of her covers from that TV show?
    Just her YT stuff,t didn't stand out to me but then music these days really has to grab me to make me want to listen to it and explore all their catalogue and that didn't 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Boring, I mean really boring
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    sweepy said:

I mean she's had a 20+ year career spanning multiple bands in the rock/metal scene - she's done alright.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Floor is great. Revamp was her main band, not a side project, before she joined Nightwish. 

She's a fabulous singer and really great on stage. But I've found the Nightwish albums since she joined rather poor. Not her fault - I think Tuomas has gone off the boil as a songwriter. 

As female singers working in the rock/metal world from that part of the world go I much prefer Anneke van Giersbergen. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    After Forever were decent as well, that's how I first heard of her. Nightwish have been a bit pants for many years now, long before Floor joined.

The stuff with Ayreon and Star One is probably my pick overall, though not necessarily a showcase for her alone.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Bidley said:
    After Forever were decent as well, that's how I first heard of her. Nightwish have been a bit pants for many years now, long before Floor joined.

The stuff with Ayreon and Star One is probably my pick overall, though not necessarily a showcase for her alone.
    I found Imaginarium and Dark Passion Play two of Nightwish's best albums. And when Floor joined I was really excited because I felt they were on a great trajectory in songwriting terms. But it feel totally flat for me. 

I've also cooled on the genre somewhat. It's got rather stale. And Seven Spires was the only decent Symphonic Metal album I've heard in the last few years. 

Bidley said:

I found Imaginarium and Dark Passion Play two of Nightwish's best albums. And when Floor joined I was really excited because I felt they were on a great trajectory in songwriting terms. But it feel totally flat for me. 

I've also cooled on the genre somewhat. It's got rather stale. And Seven Spires was the only decent Symphonic Metal album I've heard in the last few years. 

To be honest I cooled on Symphonic stuff before those two albums - I should probably revisit them at some point. Once was the last album of theirs I really got into. I was also excited about Floor but yeah, it seems like they've lost their mojo. I love hearing her sing the old stuff live though.