Compressor recommendation?

What's Hot

Comments

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 339
    I found the BOSS CS-3 irritatingly noisy. The Fat General is what I've settled on. It does what it's supposed to without fundamentally changing your tone - mine is almost always on. It doesn't really do the heavily 'squished' sound (which the BOSS can do), but that's not what I was after. The Cali 76 is another great option to consider.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited July 2021
    Had a browse on Gilmourish and apparently the Cali 76 is what David Gilmour had on his board for the Rattle that Lock tour, which seems a good endorsement. For nearly a 1/3 of the price thought the Dynamic Comp deluxe (which has a blend knob) seems like a good shout too.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Origin Cali 76 stacked covers everything I need and more. Built like tank and very quiet. Totally cured my compressor gas. 
  • I would try them. Compressors all claim to do very similar things, but I find that there are some with very similar circuits and one I'll like much more than the other. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    I would second the recommendation for the wampler ego but generally anything with a blend. 
  • I’m still confused as to whether or not I need a compressor. I loved the Fairfield Accountant and Cali76CD as always-on pedals with a 65 DRRI, but now I have a 65 PRRI (home playing only at the moment) I’ve made do with the buffer on my tuner. I do like playing without a pick as well, so maybe a comp will help the finger-picked notes pop out a bit more, but I don’t like squish and the amp and Tele are bright as they are. 

In short, the Fairfield is brilliant (it does colour your tone in a lovely, slightly gritty way), kind of a comp for people who don’t like compression, and the Origin Effects is marvellous as well, and as per the previous comments having the blend dial really helps.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    edited July 2021
    What's a 65 DRRI/PRRI?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Poboy said:
    What's a 65 DRRI/PRRI?
    65 deluxe reverb reissue and Princeton Reverb reissue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7435
    Fat General - just get it now and save yourself trading a bunch of other stuff before doing so :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Xotic SP - sounds great and a small footprint
  • Poboy said:
    What's a 65 DRRI/PRRI?
    65 deluxe reverb reissue and Princeton Reverb reissue.
    Sorry @Poboy should've clarified my acronyms and that!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Has anyone compared the Fairfield Accountant to the Rothwell Love Squeeze? I've seen them both described as compressors for people who don't like compressors, and interested to see if I need the Accountant as well as my Love Squeeze. Because, y'know, GAS and all that.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    TimmyO said:
    Fat General - just get it now and save yourself trading a bunch of other stuff before doing so :-) 
    Yeah, looks nice alright. Quite a bit of outlay though. 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    Joyo JF10 -incredibly good value for money. Really nice compressor and cheap as chips.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    My favourite compressor is the Rothwell Love Squeeze.

Context: I've never liked playing with compression before. I've tried the Boss thingy and a barber tonepress amongst others, I've liked the way they sound with other people playing them, but never liked the way it felt to play. Andrew Rothwell pitched the Love Squeeze as a compressor for people who don't like compressors, and that was true for me! If you're wanting subtle, it's worth checking out.
    I’m in the same boat. Is there anything else apart from the Love Squeeze (and without paying Fat General prices) that fits the bill of ‘a compressor for people who don’t like compressors ‘?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Went for a Cali 76 Compact Deluxe this week. In truth I don’t really know what a good compressor sounds like having never really used them before. So I figured I’d skip the false economy/ revolving door stage and go direct to something reassuringly expensive!

They were good enough for David Gilmour on his last tour so they are more than sufficient for me.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Great choice - it's a terrific pedal. If you're new to compressors,  be aware that the input control on these has quite an impact on the amount of compression you feel.
    Beexter said:
    Great choice - it's a terrific pedal. If you're new to compressors,  be aware that the input control on these has quite an impact on the amount of compression you feel.
    Thanks. Yeah I’ve noticed that. The in knob seems to work a bit like a pre-amp, around 2 o’clock seems a decent compromise..much higher and the noise floor with my strat goes up.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    Loads of good Ross and Dynacomp clones on the vintage side. Edit: other than the compadre, the Visual Sound Route 66/Comp 66 is great for this, the only vintage style comp I've enjoyed using - think it has a blend control too from memory which is a great feature in a compressor. 
    Hi,
    I've been looking for a Route 66 v3 (overdrive + compressor) in the classifieds, and was wondering if you could comment on how effective the noise gate actually is in the v3? – assuming you were talking about version 3, which is the one that has the external switch for the noise gate as far as I know :+1: 
    Cheers!
    Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9555
    edited August 2021
    The best 2 I’ve personally owned are;

i.  Cornish OC1

ii.  Thorpy FX Fat General 

There are actually both very similar imho. Top drawer construction and both incredibly quiet.

In fact, I have 2 Fat Generals; in two boards which is a bit of a luxury. I love the V2 size which both of mine are.

I may move one on when the time comes.

Both work well in any board position and play nicely with all other pedals. Highly recommended