Guthrie Trapp Artistworks

OnparOnpar Frets: 416
Has anyone experienced the Guthrie Trapp Artistworks courses?

I'm a big fan of his playing and have tried to pick up a few pointers from his YouTube videos but I would be interested to understand if people rate his Artistworks course. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    I signed up a few years ago for a year I think when they did a 50% discount. 

The pre-recorded lessons are really good and quite comprehensive. You can also submit a video of your playing and get feedback from Guthrie. I actually didn’t find this part as useful but I don’t think I got the most out of it as I didn’t submit enough videos regularly enough to make any real progress. I did learn quite a bit from the pre-recorded lessons though.

I think overall for the price you pay to be able to study with and get feedback from a player of his level it’s good value. Like most things, I would imagine you’ll get out what you put in.
  • ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 34
    edited July 2021
    I signed up for a year, finished last Christmas - didn't renew as I needed a break to see if it would sink in!

I've no idea what level you're at, but he really does start from the very beginning, but it gets pretty full on (way beyond my ability!).

This video gives a good idea of what he does (ff to around 4 min if you want to miss intro), but he goes through all the CAGED keys/positions (as far as I remember), he also emphasises the triad shapes (e.g. 3 triad shapes/stringset before the shape repeats).

Last time I did it, I got it at 50% xmas discount ($140 for 12 months), they're doing it for $170 at the min and I'm tempted to sign up again.

One downside was he took ages to get back with video response, but you have access to all previous submissions so there's loads of tips there anyway.

If this one's too simple, say as I've got  a couple of his videos bookmarked...

• LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    Great content but a huge part of Artistworks is the video exchanges and Guthrie regularly takes 3-5 weeks to respond compared to, say, Bryan Sutton who takes a week and Keith Wyatt who usually replies same say. I found that by the time I got a response from Guthrie I’d already moved on from what I was asking about.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Thanks for the feedback. 5 weeks is a long time to respond to a video. I am hoping the Artistworks course explains what he is doing in a bit more detail. His YouTube videos are ace but he generally explains something simple that I get like CAGED major shapes, but then he plays these incredibly musical pieces and there seems to be a gap between the simple bit he explained and the ultra difficult bit he played. Such a wonderful guitarist. 
  • Onpar said:
    Thanks for the feedback. 5 weeks is a long time to respond to a video. I am hoping the Artistworks course explains what he is doing in a bit more detail. His YouTube videos are ace but he generally explains something simple that I get like CAGED major shapes, but then he plays these incredibly musical pieces and there seems to be a gap between the simple bit he explained and the ultra difficult bit he played. Such a wonderful guitarist. 

Maybe you already know this... but out of each CAGED shape, do you know/can you see the 4 triad shapes, and know where the 1,3,5's are? And then can you recognise each triad it were played in isolation?

I understand it and can work things out, but it certainly doesn't come instinctively to me!
    edited August 2021
    Yes I know the triads for the major chords, however don't know where the  135s are but I can work it out. I guess its a case of concentrating and working it out. But then the next step is to play the things like Guthrie does in a beautiful musical way. 
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    I really like Guthrie and signed up for his Artistworks course a couple of years ago. In all honesty though I don't think you'll find much that Guthrie doesn't show on his free YouTube videos.
    I really like Guthrie and signed up for his Artistworks course a couple of years ago. In all honesty though I don't think you'll find much that Guthrie doesn't show on his free YouTube videos.
    Cheers man. I actually resigned up for Truefire as they have lots of country courses. It's really good. 
  • Onpar said:
    Yes I know the triads for the major chords, however don't know where the  135s are but I can work it out. I guess its a case of concentrating and working it out. But then the next step is to play the things like Guthrie does in a beautiful musical way. 
    Hey man, just saw this … check out Jack Gardiner’s fusion improvisation course of JTC … you’ll certainly know how to find every interval after that!