Losing signal strength on a ‘80s Ibanez CS-9

What's Hot
matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
edited August 2021 in FX
But if an odd one. I have been losing signal strength on my board for a while now. Happens periodically and when I least want it to. I can still hear myself but the level just drops. It managed to isolate the problem to an older Ibanez CS-9.

Anyone had this issue before? It’s strikes me as odd. Checked all cables and found zero issues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    It's quite likely an electrolytic cap failing in the pedal. This is becoming a very common issue with older 80s Boss, Ibanez etc pedals now. The usual culprit is the 'V/2' cap, but it's best just to change all of them while you're in there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Literally exactly this happened to me a few years ago on an old vintage Ibanez CP9. It was easily fixed by a pedal tech - cannot remember his name offhand but he used to work opposite Tim Marten on Denmark St. Tim’s moved since and I dunno where the guy ended up but I’m sure any competent electronics tech could sort it. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I had an Ibanez SD9 (now sold on here) and it was behaving oddly when switching. I replaced all the 30-odd-year-old electrolytic caps and it was fine.