SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Two Rock Studio Pro Plus

willrejoneswillrejones Frets: 35
edited August 2014 in Amps £
On the hunt for one of these. Preferably the 22watt combo version but not that fussed. Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited August 2014
    One on Ebay - not sure how to insert link.

Now worked it out - see below.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Interesting, just not sure I want to go through the faff of getting it shipped from overseas. Very valuable cargo!
    Yeah a bit more than I'd be willing to pay in the current market as well, but I suppose he might be willing to haggle if it doesn't sell quickly.  Anyway thought a heads-up could do no harm!
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    Have you tried one? Just out of interest as I owned one
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • koss59;315481" said:
    Have you tried one? Just out of interest as I owned one
    I have the other day. Tried it against a Mesa Mark V with a 4x12 and the Two Rock seemed to have more balls. I was very impressed, then again the price tag is awfully large...

I first bought the standard studio pro and had to return it as it rattled so badly, I swapped it for a studio pro plus as it was a bigger cab so thought it was less prone to rattle. They had however fitted the wrong impedance speaker and one of the nuts on the push pull for tremolo had sheered off. I wasn't that impressed by those things but kept it for a couple of months. I honestly think if you changed the speaker in a hot rod deluxe you could get just as good clean tone. All my own opinion of coarse.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    koss59 said:
    I first bought the standard studio pro and had to return it as it rattled so badly, I swapped it for a studio pro plus as it was a bigger cab so thought it was less prone to rattle. They had however fitted the wrong impedance speaker and one of the nuts on the push pull for tremolo had sheered off. I wasn't that impressed by those things but kept it for a couple of months. I honestly think if you changed the speaker in a hot rod deluxe you could get just as good clean tone. All my own opinion of coarse.

i adore mine and i have a fair few high-end amps to compare it with (and long ago owned a hot rod deluxe!). The clean tone is stellar, even next to my old deluxe reverb and princeton

Don't get me wrong, they're great sounding amps. I'm just saying for the cleans you can get bloody close with other things for cheaper.
    Sorry for derailing thread anyway. Back to normal proceedings :-)
    I hope willrejones isn't pissed off at the derailment of his thread, but I have been interested in the discussion and he may be too if he's contemplating one of these.  I think there's a good chance I'll be in the market for something soon and the Two Rocks are on the short list (although possibly a 35 head and 1x12 would look a better option than the combo for me).

OTOH I saw Snarky Puppy recently and thought Mark Lettieri was getting a terrific sound out of what as far as I can make out was a stock HRD (+ extensive pedal board of course).  I found it hard to imagine he'd have sounded any better with a boutique amp.  It left me wondering if I was being wise focussing most of my research on boutique stuff for what will be a gigging amp.
  • Blueingreen;316738" said:
    I hope willrejones isn't pissed off at the derailment of his thread, but I have been interested in the discussion and he may be too if he's contemplating one of these.  I think there's a good chance I'll be in the market for something soon and the Two Rocks are on the short list (although possibly a 35 head and 1x12 would look a better option than the combo for me).

OTOH I saw Snarky Puppy recently and thought Mark Lettieri was getting a terrific sound out of what as far as I can make out was a stock HRD (+ extensive pedal board of course).  I found it hard to imagine he'd have sounded any better with a boutique amp.  It left me wondering if I was being wise focussing most of my research on boutique stuff for what will be a gigging amp.
    Blueingreen;316738" said:

All true - I've been using a HRD for a few years. Unfortunately it's broken multiple times in those few years. Most have recommended I check out a Dlx reverb, but the other guitarist in my band has one and we've also had a lot of problems with it.

I'm really looking for something solid that sounds amazing in that live setting. I play professionally so I'm not looking for a bedroom amp, which is why the Two Rock, at 22watts is a perfect base. I'll be able to get that valve breakup on which to build with my pedals, if that makes sense.

Of course I'm open to discussions and ideas, it's just that I played the Two Rock and loved it. If anyone has other ideas of an amazing sounding, sturdy, 20ish wattage combo I'd love to know about it so I can check it out. Cheers guys
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Huge fan of Two Rocks but also heartily recommend Carr amps...the Viceroy or Rambler are bullet-proof and sound fantastic. The Carr Slant is a Deluxe Reverb clean channel and a dirt channel. All these three step down to around the 20w mark or below.

• willrejoneswillrejones Frets: 35
    edited August 2014
    Can anyone with experience of Two Rocks comment on their reliability?
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 351
    I've been using a Gain Master 35 for about a year, never had a problem, it's light, portable and perfect for gigging with my covers band. I can get most sounds I need out of it too and with my Les Paul Goldtop with P90's it sounds awesome. I am wondering why I'm thinking about moving it on now! I blame this forum, there's too much to temp me. ;)