Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss GT-1000 Core vs Line 6 HX Stomp

What's Hot
guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
I had a Stomp about a year ago and found the six blocks and limited dsp frustrating so it left and was replaced by a Helix LT. 

Now I’m more than happy with this unit but it has a couple of limitations that may make it unsuitable for when our jamming evening classes resume shortly (hopefully) - it’s size and mains-only power. 

So I’m considering getting another Stomp for this (portable and runs off a power bank) plus it now has eight blocks which might not be so limiting. 

Another option would be the GT-1000 Core (also portable and *should* run off a power bank, but not owned one so not tried it). 

Has anyone owned both the Stomp and the Core & how do they compare?

I like the Helix sounds and way of working, but have also had a MS-3 in the past so I kind of get the Boss way of working too. Also the Core has no dsp limitations (apparently). 

Either option will be run into a Headrush FRFR speaker. 

Of course what we really need is a Helix version of the Core (full-fat Helix in a Stomp form factor) @Digital_Igloo ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    I definitely fall into the Line 6 fanboy category, but some of the claims made about the Core raise a bit of an eyebrow.

Whilst it doesn't run into "Dsp limitations" in the same way that a stomp will, it's also a semi fixed signal chain.

I think from memory it's something like:

Every preset has:
    1 compressor, 2 distortions, 2 aird preamps, 2 noise suppressors, 4 equalizers, 4 delays (basic delays with time/feedback/mix controls), another master delay (this one can be a posh delay like a shimmer), 1 chorus, 3 fx blocks (so these can be roughly what you like except not Verb or Delay), 1 Reverb, 1 pedal fx, 1 foot volume, 3 dividers, and 3 mixers on the Boss GT 1000 core.

So it's sort of able to do more but also if you wanted to just run two Reverb algorithms, you can't. So it has it's own limitations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not owned a core, but I quite fancy one. 

Bear in mind the reason it has "no DSP limitations" is because it it has limits on what each block is allowed to be. Some people think this is the WORST DESIGN EVER, most people don't seem to care. But worth reading the manual and watching some videos first, particularly if you want complex signal chains. 
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Yeh - what @UnclePsychosis said - no doubt it's a cool little unit and plenty powerful - but one of the major selling points was this 24 simultaneous blocks and no dsp limitations which need another look!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I think it depends on if you prefer to deal with the limitation of counting up DSP or having fixed blocks.

The CORE has no limitations relative to a full sized GT-1000 unlike the Stomp.

Having had both I think the FX are better on the GT and it has the MDP FX.

The Helix has way more models and the UI is better.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I've owned both. I sold the stomp and kept the core

I then moved onto the full size gt1000 which is really good.   The only downside to th gt1000 is that you can only have 1 reverb block.  Not a problem for me but might bother others.  I prefer the sound of the gt1000 over the line 6 stuff.

It takes a little longer to 'get' the workflow but it's not complicated.  I don't want to spend my life tweaking sounds and I would say that things like have a number of knobs on the board that you can set to do whatever you want. So for example I have one to set the level of reverb, and another to cycle through the patches and another to set the input level etc etc. 
  • Might start by seeing if I can condense my LT patches down to eight blocks. The problem I have is that a lot of my patches have two amps/ir’s which eat blocks/dsp.. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    If you are already using a powered FRFR what is the problem for powering the LT?
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Might start by seeing if I can condense my LT patches down to eight blocks. The problem I have is that a lot of my patches have two amps/ir’s which eat blocks/dsp.. 
    That’s not a bad shout. I had to use my HX Stomp for a few weeks while my Helix Floor was being repaired and I was surprised at how much I was able to do with 8 blocks. Inevitably there are compromises but I got it to do everything I needed.

I could happily have gigged with it, although using a Morningstar MC3 really helped with functionality.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    I don’t get why they made the UI/display so 1986. I had a fiddle in the shop the other day and it was pretty unintuitive. 
  • If you are already using a powered FRFR what is the problem for powering the LT?
    Space & quick changeovers. 

Evening classes for about 15-20 people, split into smaller groups, rehearse in side rooms & then perform mini-sets for the class at the end. 

Easy to setup back line at the back of the main room and leave it, but no room to leave the LT plugged in & ready when other groups come & go during the final session - powerbank powered Stomp, one cable to frfr & wireless to guitar takes seconds to set up when time is limited. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I don’t get why they made the UI/display so 1986. I had a fiddle in the shop the other day and it was pretty unintuitive. 
    Agreed.  For me, the intuitive fiddling and tweaking can only be done via the full interface you get on a computer screen.  This adds a layer of faff, but I have seen some YouTubes where it's clear that it's possible to learn how to do this without the computer.
    Despite that I've realised that I'm not much of a tweaker so it's not a problem.  The sound of the unit is fantastic and it's a really nice, tidy little box which was also a consideration.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    edited August 2021
    Grunfeld said:
    Agreed.  For me, the intuitive fiddling and tweaking can only be done via the full interface you get on a computer screen.  This adds a layer of faff, but I have seen some YouTubes where it's clear that it's possible to learn how to do this without the computer.
    Despite that I've realised that I'm not much of a tweaker so it's not a problem.  The sound of the unit is fantastic and it's a really nice, tidy little box which was also a consideration.
    To be fair it’s the same with the Axe 3. It’s not very intuitive on the actual unit. 

We have a Queen medley and a couple of the keys are a semi tone down, so I made a whole preset with different keys with the pitch block that changes per scene. I made a mistake when setting it up and had to work out on the unit how to change the pitch setting per channel, and then which channel had what pitch setting, and then apply that to the scene. 

After my head nearly exploding I just fucked it off and transposed it the analogue way, with me head and just played it. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    The BOSS interface is like that because they have a specific workflow (user interface,  user experience etc) that is common to all their recent multi FX and switchers. I have an ES-8 switcher/looper which really is pretty poor (two line display) but when I took the time to understand the principles of the programming, I was able to get around pretty quickly.

When I got the GT-1000, the principles of programming are fundamentally the same and I was up and running within five mins. It's the same as something like a smartphone interface or your desktop PC, there needs to be some familiarity for users of previous generations of kit who would otherwise complain that everything is too different.

When Line 6 brought out the Helix (and when HeadRush brought out their pedalboard), they could start from scratch. BOSS didn't have that luxury.

That said, if you take the time to learn the BOSS conventions you can build a decent patch on the GT-1000 very quickly indeed with the unit controls. Sometimes event quicker than using the Tone Control software because, while the software is pretty good, the speed of the USB interface sucks balls.
  • When I bought my HX FX, Line 6 wasn't supporting the latest version of macOS, so I couldn't run HX Edit. I was forced to use the UI on the unit for the first 6 weeks. I was coming from a Boss GT-100, but it didn't take too long to get used to the altered way of working. Neither was wrong, just different approaches to the different strengths and weaknesses of the unit. The best UI i've used in the lat 2-3 years was the Headrush. No computer interface - because it really truly isn't needed. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I haven’t tried the Boss though I have been tempted. I do think the Line 6 stuff is an absolute dream to use though, HX Edit is fantastic.  If I was in the market I would go Line 6 based on that alone.

• There's no doubt that the Line6 has the best UI of them all and loads of flexibility, but I find the tones on the Boss to be noticeably better. As much as I'd love the UI of the Helix, the tone has to come first and in that regard, the Boss is superb.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Bump
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, in the two-plus years since this thread lost our interest, I've made some changes (quelle surprise...).

I don't have an HX FX. I have individual pedals and a Boss ES-5. I'm running a Mobius for modulation sounds and a GT-1000Core for delays, reverb, EQ and clean end-of-chain boosts. MIDI is my friend (and enemy). My original intention was to drop the Mobius, as well, but I can't yet get mod sounds as lush as the Mobius from the Core so I'm keeping it where it is until I can learn how. Or maybe not try too hard. :-) 

Back to the OP. The GT-1000 workflow is my favourite between the Stomp, Headrush and GT now I've learned a bit about how it works. You just work to its strengths, and there are many. It never runs out of processing power - unlike the Stomp. 

I don't have a problem with fixed block architecture. Flexible architecture is one of those "sales" points that the competition will use to spread fear and doubt to new users, and make an issue out of something that actually just doesn't matter matter at all to me and my use cases. And I'm not unique, most users are just like me. I can live with just one reverb block when it's a good one (and it is). Preset changes are seemingly-instantaneous (no need for snapshots). "Assign"s are the gateway to huge user flexibility if you want it. 

So, here's my take as someone with a Core on his board and 6 months of trying to go 100% modeller earlier this year with a full fat GT1000. I also borrowed a Stomp from a bandmate for a few weeks. The Boss GT sounds better than the Stomp and using the Core as an MFX sounds better than doing the same with an HX FX. For me and my ears. I still can't get on with digital drives and amps, but for back end effects it's pretty usable, easy to set up and sounds good. 

But YMMV as we're all different. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited October 2023
    Had both. The gt1000 was better sound wise to me than the stomp. The line 6 was never particularly good at getting a clean or edge of breakup sound and some of the proprietary boss amp models are simply glorious. The gt always seemed to play with other pedals better and I spent less time tweaking in a band situation.

Once you get the hang of it it’s also very easy and intuitive to use.   On all these little units you are much faster using a computer to set up your patches, and the pc editor for boss is easy enough to use.  It’s not colour but so what.. 

personally I don’t own either now..  I came to the conclusion I prefer pedals/amp and if need be will use my quilter tone block for silent stage . But I always found the boss stuff better to use and also owned the gt1000 which was great.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited October 2023
    I have the GT1000 core which I use exclusively for the fx together with my Tonex via midi. 

The amp modelling in the GT sounds good and you don't have to faff around too much to get a good sound (unlike the Helix which you have to eq quite a lot, at least that was my experience with the LT until I sold it two years ago) but the Tonex is on a different league so I don't use the GT amp modelling.

The UI does take a while to get used though and it is a bit outdated. There are some quirks that I just don't get (3 different manuals, different software for loading third party IR's, 4(!) fixed EQ blocks, etc.) but as a multi fx pedal it is great.

Edit: Johnny Marr seems to think so too!
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."