SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD outside Fretboard for 900 quid PRICE DROP £900 - FS/FT Greco "Super Real" EGF850 - MIJ - 1980

What's Hot
THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 181
edited October 2021 in Guitars £
After trialling a bunch of les-paul-a-likes recently I have finally settled on a Maybach Lester, for my taste it's a perfect blend of traditional sound and build with some modern appointments for comfort. 

That does leave this beaut surplus to requirements, and as much as I'd love to keep every guitar I ever touch I live in the real world and have a house a a job and a better half to placate... so this lovely jubbly Greco EGF850 in fetching and oh-so-original Cherry Sunburst is up for grabs.

The usual gubbins; 24.75" scale length, mahogany body and neck, maple cap, rosewood 'board, nitro finish. I think it's very likely the flame top is a veneer but it looks nice and personally I love that it's not a mega flamed bling-machine. The neck on this is quite "59"... whatever that means. It's slimmer and perhaps a touch faster than my Lester 58. Very comfy. 

This one has got Bareknuckle Mules in it and Gotoh tuners. Condition is very good, especially for something that's older than I am. There's a couple of dinks here and there but nothing awful, I've tried to capture them in the photos. 

I've got a hardcase and box so if you'd like to arrange a courier that's an option. Otherwise collection from South Manchester or meet up a reasonable distance. 

It owes me £975 so I'd like that back. Trade-wise you could likely tempt me with Jazzmasters, Telecasters, SGs (bonus points for p90s and/or not red), maybe even semi hollows. Basically anything that isn't obscenely "metal" I suppose. I'm sorted for amps and pedals though - thanks.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HomerHomer Frets: 169
    Former owner - great guitar indeed :)!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 801
    Beautiful indeed! GLWTS 
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 443
    I like that. How's the weight?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 181
    RickLucas said:
    I like that. How's the weight?
    Sounds like a cliché but it's solid, but not a back-breaker. Bathroom scales peg it at bang-on 9lbs. 
  • Is it poss to measure the neck depth at the 1st fret please?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2021
    Is it poss to measure the neck depth at the 1st fret please?
    Hi, I did comment on your post on my wall but it's about .79" or 20mm by my rudimentary measure! Bear in mind I just used a tape measure. I've recently moved house and haven't got access to some of my guitar bits at the mo. 

EDIT: as @Homer rightly says, this is  closer to the 59 style neck (22.2 mm thick at 1st fret) and very comfortable.
  • Sorry I didn't see it.  Quite a slim neck then.  Thanks 
    Sorry I didn't see it.  Quite a slim neck then.  Thanks 
    It feels slimmer than my Maybach 58 and fatter than my LP Studio. Again, when its millimetres we're talking I can't fully back the tape-measure method and don't have callipers to hand sorry. 
  • HomerHomer Frets: 169
    Info from former owner, @three_little_birds :

Most of them have thick 58 type necks, this one closer to the 59 style (22.2 mm thick at 1st fret) is very comfortable.
    I should say, I do have the scratch plate and will include it. 
    Some interest but no takers yet. Very open to trade and px offers. :-) 
    Bump
  • These are beautiful guitars, someone save me and please buy it!
    I personally like the weight and neck size of these early Greco’s. The one I had rung so acoustically and sounded better than any genuine modern Gibson. GLWTS 
    These are beautiful guitars, someone save me and please buy it!
    I personally like the weight and neck size of these early Greco’s. The one I had rung so acoustically and sounded better than any genuine modern Gibson. GLWTS 
    Thank you for the kind words! Yes this one is fab, and as you say acoustically loud. I only have an early 90's Gibbo Studio to compare it to but it's much more "open" than that, possibly due to the fact the Gibson is an absolute anchor and has the really middy pickups (490 series?).

To my hands and ears it feels similar to the Maybach Lester '58, but with a more manageable neck and slightly more bark from the Bare Knuckle Mules. It was a tough call between the two, but I'm a vain bastard and I've always had a softspot for tobacco sunburst.... 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15019
    Paging @HarrySeven ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Weekend bump! Surely there's a lovely Tele Deluxe or a Les Paul special out there just waiting to trade places? 
    Up
    edited August 2021
    Still here! Actually got this mega securely packed up and ready to post (buyer pulled out :-(). Talk to me about trades, or buy it with real monies for me to spend on pet insurance/decking/repointing/other fun things. 
    bump

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2995
    Any interest in swapping for the SG I have up for sale - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3031962/#Comment_3031962

Doesn't quite match your criteria but the neck pickup is technically a P90 and it's more of an orangey red than deep cherry :)