Filling a clip on a poly finish using superglue

What's Hot
Hello,

I have bought this guitar that has a number of chips in the poly finish on the heel of the body that i have been thinking about filling the chips/repairing using the superglue method once it arrives.

Has anyone had any experience filling chips in their guitar finish using super glue at all? Below is a picture of the back of neck to show what i mean.

I've also just found out there is a black version of Loctite too that would do the job (Loctite 480) as i have been thinking of what i could use to dye the glue black if i was to use normal super glue. It's a poly finish on a Fender Classic Series guitar so I'm not overly precious about it but would like to give it a go fixing it.

Thank you

Michael
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Yes black super glue should work, I've used it for that kind of job.

I use an activator "Gluboost" that sets the glue instantly so you can sand and re-apply quickly.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    Yes, black super glue should work, I've used it for that kind of job.
    Now, if only they made that in metallic red. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Cheers @SteveRobinson i'll have to give it a go 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    Black nail varnish will do the trick, you can build up coat by coat (takes forever) or a couple coats and superglue over the top for a much faster finish. 
    I've done both many times with great results.
    That black ca glue is very pricey and as with all ca glue it will go off (ca glue has about 12 month shelf life) 
    poundshop black nail varnish and regular ca glue £2 total :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sarge said:
    Black nail varnish will do the trick, you can build up coat by coat (takes forever) or a couple coats and superglue over the top for a much faster finish. 
    That black ca glue is very pricey and as with all ca glue it will go off (ca glue has about 12 month shelf life) 
    I had thought about nail polish but I don't know how durable it would be. I've bought a bottle of loctite 480 of eBay for less than £10 so it's not too bad. I'll be able to give it a go when both it and the guitar arrive. If it's not a disaster I'll post a couple of pics 

Cheers

Michael
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    Sarge said:
    I had thought about nail polish but I don't know how durable it would be. I've bought a bottle of loctite 480 of eBay for less than £10 so it's not too bad. I'll be able to give it a go when both it and the guitar arrive. If it's not a disaster I'll post a couple of pics 

Cheers

Michael
    Most nail varnish is nitrocellulose based so durable enough :) 
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    edited December 2021
    My wife is an artist and uses a lot of acrylic stuff for floated or blown effects. There's a huge range of colours available that might suit. They're very intense. Advise an internet search for poured acrylic paint/dyes.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    If the guitar isn't collectible or worth a lot of money, you might get an acceptable result by just dabbing a black felt-tip pen into the wood visible at the bottom of the chips to stain it and then drop-filling with superglue.  Some black felt-tip pens dry with a bluish tinge, but if so you could then resort to black nail varnish for a colour layer and then build up superglue.  Your tricky bit is going to be right on the edge of the heel.  It's fine where the drops of superglue are retained by surrounding thick lacquer until the glue dries, but right on an edge you would have to try and make a retaining wall with tape or maybe waxy compound like plasticine that the glue won't stick to, and you can file and sand away any surplus glue afterwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom