Band In A Box

Any users here?

Looks like a good bit of software but looking for some real world user comments before splashing out.

Basically looking for something to use as a practice aid - set up some chord sequences, jam over the top.

Anything better out there for that purpose, but cheaper? DAW plugins or similar?

I had a Trio+ and it was good fun but a bit limiting. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    edited August 2021
    I used to use Band in a Box but switched to iReal Pro.  The software isn't directly comparable - BiaB is much more sophisticated but also much, much more expensive. (iReal Pro is a one-off $15).  But for what I use it for iReal Pro does essentially the same job for a tiny fraction of the price and no expensive updates.

The only thing I miss about BiaB is that it was easier to create your own tunes.  Most of the other bells and whistles, like more realistic sounds and automatic solo generation etc made little difference to me.  IReal Pro also has some limitations like not dealing well with pushed rhythms etc.

But there are huge amounts of standard tunes, practice exercises for iReal Pro.  You download them from the iReal Pro forum.  There's a library of iirc 1300 mainly jazz standards most people will download right away.

You can still create your own tunes, albeit it's a bit more of a faff.  Basically it will generate a drums/bass/keys accompaniment for any chord structure in a variety of styles.  You can transpose or change tempo with a click. You can leave out one or more of the instruments (eg get rid of the keys to practice comping).  It's absolutely fantastic value for money.  For me Biab doesn't deliver enough more to be worth the extra, but it depends what you want.  If you wanted to record yourself playing with a realistic sounding backing track, for example, Biab would be much better.

One caveat - I haven't used Biab in several years, so my experience isn't with recent versions.  They may have developed features I'd find more useful.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Does ireal pro have a Windows version? I don't really want to be faffing with tablets etc and I don't use apple at all. 
    I use it on a Mac and it used to be Mac only but I think there may be a Windows version available now?
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 349
    Don't think so, just Mac, iPad/iPhone and Android according to the website.
    I love my brick
    edited August 2021
    Maybe I'm being misled and this isn't what is seems to be, but it seems to suggest a Windows version is available?

• StavrosStavros Frets: 349
    Ah ok, fair enough! Maybe its because I'm viewing https://www.irealpro.com on a MacBook.
    I love my brick
  • 807807 Frets: 4
    Maybe I'm being misled and this isn't what is seems to be, but it seems to suggest a Windows version is available?

Link leads to other windows apps but not ireal-pro
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 324
    I have been using Band-In-A-Box since 1993 when it was a v1.6, a great black and white program for creating MIDI backing tracks. The quality of the sound of your backing tracks depended on the quality of your samples. Back then I could knock up a simple backing track in BIAB in about 2 minutes.

Blueingreen has said how it has become bloatware, now in colour. The original (good) functions and (bad) glitches are still there but padded out with things that do not help the creative process. It can take me half an hour now to knock up a simple backing track.

A few years ago on the BIAB forum had a request for a MIDI only version. It got a fair bit of support from other users but PG (the company) declined to please customers. I only bought the latest version when Macs moved to 64-bit only programs and so needed an updated version.

I haven't found an alternative that works for me so I have been spending time learning to play drums, bass and keys which is working for me.