SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wanted: World class OM or Small Jumbo with wide neck - SORTED

What's Hot
brianlcoxbrianlcox Frets: 10
edited October 2021 in Acoustics £
Hi All,

I've managed to come into a bit of money and would like to spend some of it on a "once-in-a-lifetime" guitar. I'm considering having something custom built, for example by John Slobod or Bruce Sexauer, but thought I would check what's available on the used market first.

I'm interested in guitars with 15-16" lower bouts, such as OMs, Grand-Auditoriums, Small Jumbos. I'm less interested in smaller guitars or dreads.

I'm hoping to find something with a 1 13/16" neck and 2 5/16" bridge pin spacing, but would consider a guitar with 1 3/4" necks and 2 1/4" bridge spacing if everything else was perfect with it.

In terms of wood selection, I am quite flexible, but would most likely choose something with a spruce top. For back and sides wood I am quite flexible, but please note that the guitar would have to be shipped to Switzerland so Brazilian Rosewood without CITES is unlikely to work out.

Here's an (incomplete) list of what builders that I'm interested in to give you an idea of the price class I am thinking about: John Slobod, Bruce Sexauer, Ed Claxton, Jeff Traugott

Please email me at brianlcox@gmail.com with potential candidates and don't forget model name, year, condition, woods, most important specifications and price.

Please note that the guitar would likely have to be shipped to Switzerland, though we could negotiate an in person pick up for the right guitar if shipping isn't possible.

Thanks!
Brian
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi Brian 
    I remembered seeing a similar post of yours late last year and was wondering how the ‘Froggy’ you commissioned turned out? It was due this June . Not disappointed I hope? NGD pics please.
  • brianlcoxbrianlcox Frets: 10
    edited August 2021
    Hey, thanks for thinking of me! Yes, the Froggy has arrived a couple months ago and it is fantastic! I'm really happy with it. But the only thing better than one world class guitar is.... more than one world class guitar

Here are some photos of the new Froggy: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JMaWGvloo-nH5ZZR_UsDPdc45PKFxzbk?usp=sharing
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    brianlcox said:
    Hi All,

I've managed to come into a bit of money and would like to spend some of it on a "once-in-a-lifetime" guitar. I'm considering having something custom built, for example by John Slobod or Bruce Sexauer, but thought I would check what's available on the used market first.

I'm interested in guitars with 15-16" lower bouts, such as OMs, Grand-Auditoriums, Small Jumbos. I'm less interested in smaller guitars or dreads.

I'm hoping to find something with a 1 13/16" neck and 2 5/16" bridge pin spacing, but would consider a guitar with 1 3/4" necks and 2 1/4" bridge spacing if everything else was perfect with it.

In terms of wood selection, I am quite flexible, but would most likely choose something with a spruce top. For back and sides wood I am quite flexible, but please note that the guitar would have to be shipped to Switzerland so Brazilian Rosewood without CITES is unlikely to work out.

Here's an (incomplete) list of what builders that I'm interested in to give you an idea of the price class I am thinking about: John Slobod, Bruce Sexauer, Ed Claxton, Jeff Traugott

Please email me at brianlcox@gmail.com with potential candidates and don't forget model name, year, condition, woods, most important specifications and price.

Please note that the guitar would likely have to be shipped to Switzerland, though we could negotiate an in person pick up for the right guitar if shipping isn't possible.

Thanks!
    Brian

Not a suggestion for an actual guitar, but if you are going down the custom guitar route and want a vintage inspired guitar there are a few makers, I'd consider checking adding to your list to consider (if you haven't already) including Italy - Bagnasco & Casati (Martin and Gibson repros), DE - Blazer and Henkes (Larson, Martin), USA - Ark New Era (Larson), UK - Ralph Bown (Martin)

Blazer and Henkes have a OM-28 in stock.

There are quite a few videos of Bagnasco & Casati guitars on YT, they might be some of the finest sounding repros of Pre War Martins I've come across, but their pre war Gibson replicas are incredible.

The downside is most of these guys have waiting lists of a few years at least.
  • brianlcox said:
    Hey, thanks for thinking of me! Yes, the Froggy has arrived a couple months ago and it is fantastic! I'm really happy with it. But the only thing better than one world class guitar is.... more than one world class guitar

Here are some photos of the new Froggy: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JMaWGvloo-nH5ZZR_UsDPdc45PKFxzbk?usp=sharing
    Wow! Absolutely beautiful. Love the flamed maple bindings. What are the b/sides, also amazing! Congratulations! 
  • And I noticed you said ‘more than one’ as opposed to ‘two’.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the tips about B&H and B&C - I am aware of both of them, though I haven't managed to get a guitar from either of them in my hands yet. If that B&H OM28 had a wider nut I probably would have bought it - I've already been in contact with them about it.

I'd really love to find a used circa, claxton or sexauer OM with a  1 13/16" nut, but would also consider other builders. Anyone got such a gem hidden under their bed?
  • This is certainly 'world class' but slightly slimmer spacings than your ideal:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/212545/fs-collings-om1-jl
  • Thanks for the tip, unfortunately 1 11/16" is a total no go for me. However, if the guitar csme with any of Stuarts skills that might be a different story.
  • I'm with you on the nut width especially for fingerstyle. If you Santa Cruz H14 weren't so narrow I'd definitely have a look.

Also, with your price range look into Vintage guitars perhaps. The Martins can be limited to 11/16 but some vintage 50s to 70s Gibsons, Guilds and Yamahas are wider.at the nut. 

Failing that, another custom guitar! You already have an Olsen!

If you are travelling to London you are welcome to try my guitars all at 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 nut widths. And they are pretty special. 
  • brianlcoxbrianlcox Frets: 10
    edited September 2021
    Thanks Fatboylim! I have thought about vintage guitars, but I'm not quite sure I want to go that route.

I have a couple options open at the moment. There is a really nice custom ordered Lowden O50c in the USA that has a 46mm nut that is very interesting for me, as well as a Circa OM42 with nearly perfect specs for me. However, that one is made with Brazilian rosewood back and sides, so import would be difficult. At the same time, TNAG has a 2022 build slot for Circa guitars that I am considering purchasing. his wait list is pretty long, so the chance to build with him next year is pretty interesting. His recently built guitars on the used market seem to be selling for 90% of what he is charging for new guitars anyway, so I might as well order a new one and get exactly what I want.
  • Hey Brian, I hope you're well.

I'm selling a custom Prohazska 'Bard' guitar on behalf of Balázs and it's got a 47mm neck and is a stunning guitar made from old growth or 'fiddleback' Mahogany with some amazing inlay work. Really lovely fingerstyle guitar, but also sounds great strummed too and Balázs is an incredibly talented luthier doing things that most guys wouldn't even dream of doing. Definitely a guy worth looking into if you maybe haven't come across him before.

Gimme a shout if it's of interest at all and I can send over some pis and a full description for you. Otherwise, all the best with your hunt!

Oh yeah, I may be interested in taking your Santa Cruz H14 off your hands if it's still for sale at all?

All the best,

Graeme
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @GRBaldwin top class guitars - we had that collection of guitars from Balázs before they went to you. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Thanks Graeme. Balázs' guitars look cool! I will look into them more closely and let you know if I'm interested.

The H14 is still available. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
    Brian
  • I've just sent funds on an OM from Bruce Sexauer. Hopefully the seach is over!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Can’t go wrong with that. Congrats, it will be amazing without a doubt. 
  • Thanks! It should arrive on Monday - I'm very excited.