Allen & Heath QU series mixer experience & going hands-on..

grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
edited August 2021 in Studio & Recording
Hi all,

Any of you guys have any experience with this desk in a studio context?

I've been using DAW's forever and the odd control surface but I'd really like something properly hands-on. I'd still be interfacing with a DAW (Reaper) but the intention would be to use the DAW for editing/arrangement stuff and then the desk for mixing/processing/outboard interfacing. I'd still be using DAW plug-ins where it makes sense..

Appreciate any thoughts..

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• QU may be overspecified, more oriented for live with the memories.

i have a https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/signature-22-mtk which is great with Reaper as a traditional desk.  22 way in/out.  Very simple to integrate with a USB return button on each channel.

You can record your live mixing/playback with its fx and auxes
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10535
    I've done loads of location recording with them. They are very solid workhorses. You can mix right off the Q drive by hitting the USB button on the channels and processing everything in the desk old school fashion. 2 of the bands I'm in used them as live mixers and we use them as basic install mixers as they are reliable and easy to use. 

As a HUI though there are better desks, for years I used a Tascam DM4800 which controls 64 channels over 3 layers. These mixers are ideal for the studio, being filled with ADAT and Digital IO options. The faders are reliable and smooth and the pre amps are clean. To use one on a studio you need the 32 IO firewire card fitted, most of the used ones do tend to have these fitted. 

You can pick these up quite cheaply these days, in fact when the studio went bust we sold 2 of them for around £1200 each. 
    In fact a quick look on Ebay brings up 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133806644706?hash=item1f277f5de2:g:DRkAAOSw0CdgnjXL

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @Danny1969 ;

Appreciate the post mate..