Axe FX III - the Blog

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    My FC-12 was faulty. G66 swapped it out against UK stock. I’ve no experience of AxeFX repairs, but wouldn’t be surprised if they handle that the same way. Most repairs are going to be at a component replacement level, which can be done in the UK, with the faulty item either being trashed or returned for examination.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a B-stock FC12 and it came from UK stock too. Hope I didn't get your faulty one Roland!!

Bye!

If it’s the same one then Sukh will have fixed it.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6818
    Sukh as in the guy in Newcastle that sells the magnetic labels ? That would explain how he got “lent” a FM9.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DefaultM said:
    Does the price from G66 include tax etc like if you buy something from Thomann they sort it for you up front?
    As roland says, you pay it BUT G66 reduce their price for UK customers accordingly.   What you end up paying inc tax, is the same p[rice the rest of the EU pay with theres, pretty much.

Ah that's good to know and not immediately clear. Thank you!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • mrkb said:
    Sukh as in the guy in Newcastle that sells the magnetic labels ? That would explain how he got “lent” a FM9.
    Hep.  hes a great guy - used to live down south and weve met on a couple of occasions.
    Firmware 18.00 public beta is out. Not even going to think about upgrading until the full release have been out for a week or so.
    Another non-musical update. 

Remember that I’m triggering lighting rig changes using the Midi block to change colourway when I change scene, and an external pedal which cycles between static, chase, and strobe settings. It’s been annoying me that I have to dedicate scene 1, which is my clean amp scene, to static lights. I really want the lights to pulse whilst playing, providing energy to the performance. At the same time I want quiescent lights (almost static) between songs.

Then I remembered reading the manual which talks about which scene to default to when changing preset. Page 47, Setup: Global Settings: Config

The solution is to use scene 8 between songs, and switch to scene 1 just before playing. Easy to set up. Copy scene 1 to scene 8, save the preset on scene 8, and change the “Default Scene” to “As Saved”. Scene 8 has purple lights, which will help me remember to change to scene 1 before playing.
  • liking that
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2143
    Have enjoyed this thread so far. 

I’ve been thinking of making the digital switch to an FM9 and Friedman ASC12. 

Bigger gigs, take the powered cab, smaller ones, just the FM9. 

Obviously gotta wait a while for the FM9 to become available, though. 

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited December 2021
    Yup the latest video from Leon Todd on the FM9 firmware updates suggests that it can do all I would need it to, although after a very near miss with a drunk punter, a pint of lager and my FC12 at our last gig, I'm thinking that keeping the "brains" of my rig tucked away at the back is a much better option than having everything there on the floor in front of me
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10217
    edited December 2021
    DavusPG said:
    Yup the latest video from Leon Todd on the FM9 firmware updates suggests that it can do all I would need it to, although after a very near miss with a drunk punter, a pint of lager and my FC12 at our last gig, I'm thinking that keeping the "brains" of my rig ticked away at the back is a much better option than having everything there on the floor in front of me
    Same thing. Last gig I had notable drops of beer over my FC12. The only other thing you can do is insure it and then you're covered. Although with the levels of supply it could take a while to get a replacement. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Yeah, that's why i went rack mount for this 'iteration' of my modelling choices. Just makes more sense to me, and while it's maybe less portable, I also have a power conditioner rack unit in with the AFX3 that I can use to power a load of other stuff from a single plug - so that helps to also justify it for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Having had drunks and dancers tripping over I prefer to have the minimum on the floor in front of me. An FM9 would be nice if I were touring with a proper stage. On the toilet circuit I’d rather use rack gear.
    A music related update. In an attempt to reduce cpu usage I’ve swapped the acoustic AMP block for a Filter block. It’s currently a flat filter because everything below 60Hz is blocked in the guitar channel on our XR18 mixing desk. If I ever need it I’ll change it to a high pass filter. Sound wise no one seemed to notice at last weekend’s rehearsal.

I’m also playing around with a Compressor block. Normally I don’t like compression, preferring to control volume and sustain with my fingers. One or two of the songs we’re looking at really need compression. The main culprit is David Guetta’s Titanium, for which I’m also having to automate changes in the Reverb mix. So far I’ve managed to avoid song specific presets, but I think that’s going to have to happen. In which case I’ll probably have to use per-song layout on the FC-12 too.
    Since last year I’ve focused down on one Amp type: the Two Rock, to make it easier to get consistency of sound. I like Dumble style amps, but to get clean, crunch, and lead sounds has meant using three different models. Whereas with the Two Rock I can get it all from one amp model. In rehearsal I’ve been matching it with a 2x12 Two Rock IR. it seemed to work in rehearsal.

Last night was our first gig of 2022. In my IEMs, and out front, my guitar sounded too harsh. So today I’ve opened up the rabbit hole that is IRs. Today was also an opportunity to upgrade to firmware 19. I can’t say whether I notice any difference. 
  • jacobjacob Frets: 42
    I noticed a huge difference with the latest poweramp modelling improvements. FW19 sounds more open and pleasing than previous versions.
    @jacob It’s interesting with upgrades. Where there’s an improvement in the sound it’s usually with openness and clarity as modelling artefacts are removed. We all play such different styles of music that it’s easy for some of us to notice a difference, and some of us not. I’m down to one amp type at the moment, with only two scenes using an overdriven amp, and I haven’t noticed much change in those scenes. Nowhere near as much difference as I’m hearing as I experiment with IRs.
    Roland said:

Last night was our first gig of 2022. In my IEMs, and out front, my guitar sounded too harsh. So today I’ve opened up the rabbit hole that is IRs ...
    It turned out that I’d changed one of the IRs without noticing. I must have nudged a dial at some point, and gone to an adjacent IR. The digital equivalent of knocking an SM57 out of position near the speaker cone. Easily fixed once I’d found it.

Then I went down another rabbit hole auditioning amps. It was prompted by my new guitar build where a change of treble bleed circuit means it has less top end than its predecessor. For a lot of pop covers I need a clean sound. Sometimes very clean. Sometimes with just an edge of breakup on the higher note, but with the low notes still clean. I guess I grew up to the sound of Fender amps. 

So I’ve got a Vibroverb configuration to try at this morning’s rehearsal. However much testing I do at home it’s only when I play with the band that I know whether a sound actually works.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Cooper Carter just released a very good video (as usual) covering some handy EQ tricks to make you stand out in a mix - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/3-live-eq-tips-the-pros-use-to-take-tones-to-the-next-level-fractal-friday-with-cooper-carter-24.182815/#post-2246093