NCD (vintage content)

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31591
Yup- I socred this beauty on eBay. It has the Sound City badged Fane 75w (effectively a Crescendo) in it. I can't quite believe I finally got one!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    edited August 2014
    Great cab.

Check it's wired right - hard to tell for sure from the pic, but the tape on the green wire looks dodgy, and that wire appears to go to only one speaker so it can't be right - I fixed one of those a while ago that had been wired with two speakers in series out of phase, in parallel with one other and the fourth in series with that lot! Making something like a 26-ohm cab which didn't sound right at all.

And remember that "75W" Fanes are more like 40W, if it matters… not that you'll be putting a 200-watter through it presumably! (DR103? ;) )

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    ICBM- once I get it I'll check it properly- also put in Van Den Hul x over cable as makes a massive diff.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Gassage said:
    ICBM- once I get it I'll check it properly- also put in Van Den Hul x over cable as makes a massive diff.
    Use stripped-down mains cable :).

Seriously, fancy cable makes no difference. Any adequate gauge with decent soldered connections will sound the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Very nice.  I've got an early one, original sideways salt and pepper cloth.  Was very lucky and picked it up for a song locally on Gumtree.  It's identical to yours inside.  Unfortunately no Fanes in it but 2 x G12M black backs, a G12H Grey back and a G12S!  Like ICBM's experience it was wired all wrong and reading about 24 ohms.  I've now got it with 2 M's and 2H's all mid 70's black backs.  Great sounding cab.  Those Crescendos are a shocking price if you can find them and with original cones, I keep looking.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Just scored a 1971 DR103 £950 to go with it.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    will look nice with  coat of gloss black all over...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It is always a good idea to get vintage speakers out of the cab and check them over properly, a lot of them are in poor condition thesedays. So long as you are not disturbing originality on a valuable cab it should be OK to get them out (never cut the wiring harness on a valuable vintage amp or cab). Also never yank the speakers out if they are stuck to the cab baffle unless you want to rip the cones to shreds. This might help:

http://www.bygonetones.com/blog/how-to-test-vintage-guitar-speakers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Just scored a 1971 DR103 £950 to go with it.
    lucky beggar ya, nice price on that, congrats.