Looking for an amp like an orange tiny terror hardwired but bigger ??!!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
I still am totally head over heels for my orange tiny terror hardwired , I just love the simplicity , dynamics and touch sensitive rich but gritty overdrive !! But I could do with something bigger . I have an orange retro 50 which is an incredible amp , but doesn't sound like the tiny terror. I had thought of the dual terror , but all those valves and channels are overkill for me , and I bet it doesn't sound like my tiny terror . Any ideas for anything similar sound and quality ??! Doesn't have to be orange but does have to be good quality . Combo or head is fine .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Get someone like martinw or jpfamps to build you a bigger one with the same circuit but 2xEL34 and 30W output.

Or go nuts and do it with 2xKT88 and about 60W…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Speak to Stoneham, he's local to you and will build anything you want..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    Have you tried the TH30?
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited August 2014
    What ICBM and si said. There are a ton of great builders in the UK who miss out compared to USA folk who would do you a great quality amp with a circuit you want for a reasonable price.

I found the th30 to be much better sounding than the tiny terror I tried, though it wasn't the hand wired (whatever difference that makes), but it's a very different sounding amp.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
    I tried the th30 and the ad30 and couldn't get to grips with the eq on both !!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Is the TH30 not basically the same as the TT on the dirty channel? That's why I don't like it.

I would recommend the Rocker 30, but that's also a totally different thing from a TT. (And in my opinion much better sounding than any of the other modern Oranges, but that's not the point here!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;316576" said:
    Is the TH30 not basically the same as the TT on the dirty channel? That's why I don't like it.

I would recommend the Rocker 30, but that's also a totally different thing from a TT. (And in my opinion much better sounding than any of the other modern Oranges, but that's not the point here!)
    The the30 has got *tons* of gain. More than is usable really, I don't remember the tiny terror being that gainy... But I could be wrong. It's been a while since I played either!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Get someone like martinw or jpfamps to build you a bigger one with the same circuit but 2xEL34 and 30W output.

Or go nuts and do it with 2xKT88 and about 60W…

Cheers :)

You could do the same circuit with 4 x EL84 and a nominal 36W, as I do with my 18 and 36 Watt Roadstars.

I've also done a version of the Roadstar circuit with 2 x EL34 in fixed bias for 50W. As ICBM said, you could do the same thing cathode biased for around 30W.

Anything's possible.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    ICBM said:

Oddly I'm on the looksee for a Rocker 30 head. Bloody scarce though it seems. I like the simplicity of the things, and the sound, of course. Toss up tween the Rocker and the Friedman Pink Taco, but I think the PT is a bit too 'modern/gainy' for me.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1779
    What ICBM and si said. There are a ton of great builders in the UK who miss out compared to USA folk who would do you a great quality amp with a circuit you want for a reasonable price.

I second this. Martin made me a clone of a Princeton to my specs (as a head to match a 2x10 cab he also built) and it's staggeringly brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272 said:
    Oddly I'm on the looksee for a Rocker 30 head. Bloody scarce though it seems.
    I thought that when I was after one a few months ago, but three or four came up for sale on ebay within a few weeks, one of which I bought.  They sell for around £400 on average at the moment.  Superb sounding amp IMO - but as others have mentioned, not quite like a TT if it's that specific sound you're after.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom