Marshall bass amp gone south too

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
During "one of those" gigs last night our bass players Marshall head packed up too.

We think it's because our singer lobbed his rucksack down behind it and inadvertently knocked the cable out of the cab so the head was running unloaded for about an hour as we set up.

If you turn it up fully you get a little bit of output but it's very faint. He thought it was supposed to have a fuse to protect the head in this sort of situation though

@icbm and @ecc83 have either guys got any idea as to what may have happened before we head off to our tech with it as well as my supersonic!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    ...... inadvertently knocked the cable out of the cab so the head was running unloaded for about an hour as we set up.

If you turn it up fully you get a little bit of output but it's very faint.
    Oh dear. It could be other things, but that does immediately make me think "output transformer". :(
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    martinw said:
    ...... inadvertently knocked the cable out of the cab so the head was running unloaded for about an hour as we set up.

If you turn it up fully you get a little bit of output but it's very faint.
    Oh dear. It could be other things, but that does immediately make me think "output transformer". :(

Sadly must agree.

Straw clutch. The rucksack MIGHT have bashed the jack plug and caused a short. Test it with a meter or try another one. A guitar lead will do for a short, minimum beans, test. Not a lot of hope since running an amp into a shorted load should blow an HT fuse.

And BTW, you can't protect an amp from "no load" with a fuse...Sorry!

Dave.

• Cheers Dave

The bag actually broke the jack on the cable that goes into the cab, snapped the pin off the base of the jack

Any ideas on cost for an OPT?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    An output transformer for a valve bass amp (400W? Not sure they make any others) is going to be expensive.

Don't panic yet though, if the plug was bashed hard enough to shear off the pin, it could easily have damaged the socket.

In any case, 'running' with no load if the amp is not producing a signal will not damage the OT - unless the amp is actually unstable with no load. Even if it is it's more likely to have blown a fuse... although with a modern Marshall I wouldn't like to bet on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Your singer is a douche.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    The VBA head?

That's a mighty amp. If I had arms like popeye I'd have one.

I feel your mate's pain.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Yeah it's a 400w vba and yeah it's farkin' heavy!!