The Beatles - Let It Be | Special Edition Releases

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Music tFB Trader
I assume that the footage is from the new Peter Jackson film coming out..  Looks fantastic

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited September 2021
    The first Beatles album I bought back in the day and I'm really fond of the good tracks. I love the Let It Be/Abbey Road period. Looking forward to the new release and really looking forward to seeing the full rooftop gig when the Get Back 3 part remake comes out in November.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well that sounds rather bloody good, doesn’t it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Footage looks fantastic, Jackson’s post-prod people are probably the best in the business for bringing old film up to snuff. Can’t wait to see the complete work.
    Official trailer for the 3 part Get Back documentary by Peter Jackson:

Seems to be crafted to tell a story of the band working towards a new album and live show, rather than the rambling directionless original Let It Be movie

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 631
    David Remnick's long and winding feature in the New Yorker is worth reading:

'The lights in the back yard went down. An audience of luminaries turned into dozens of anonymous silhouettes. First came a short, featuring Jackson, who made his name and fortune with the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, speaking to us from his studio in New Zealand. He explained that he had relied on cutting-edge techniques to enhance the soundtrack and the imagery. And, even in the opening images of “Get Back,” Twickenham seemed less gloomy, the Beatles more antic and engaged. Gone was the funereal tone. “They put some joy in!” Ringo Starr told me later. “That was always my argument—we were laughing and angry.” Jackson was clearly in synch with McCartney’s hope that the new documentary would alter the narrative about his life and the final days of perhaps the biggest pop-cultural phenomenon of the twentieth century.'
    edited October 2021
    Anyone know why there were 3 Fender Twins on the rooftop? Was one a spare? Or for Billy Preston's piano?

How loud must they have been for John Lennon to get that breakup on his tone for I've Got A Feeling! George’s tone is on the edge as well and that's with the lower output Tele. 

I can't wait to see the whole rooftop performance in hi-def.

• skayskay Frets: 394
    Yeah, John’s sound on I’ve Got A Feeling is great as it’s ‘that’ sound, and as @RandallFlagg mentioned above, his amp must have been fairly cranked to get natural breakup like that!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Anyone know why there were 3 Fender Twins on the rooftop? Was one a spare? Or for Billy Preston's piano?

How loud must they have been for John Lennon to get that breakup on his tone for I've Got A Feeling! George’s tone is on the edge as well and that's with the lower output Tele.
    One is for Billy Preston's piano.

They would have been loud, but not *that* loud outdoors. Twins are open-back so when there's nothing for the sound to reflect off behind, the volume is lower than you'd expect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2021
    I find that slow grinding riff that JL plays through "I've Got A Feeling" hard to keep up cleanly with the high A on the first string, makes my wrist hurt!

ICBM said:

One is for Billy Preston's piano.

They would have been loud, but not *that* loud outdoors. Twins are open-back so when there's nothing for the sound to reflect off behind, the volume is lower than you'd expect.
    Yeah I noticed that when I was in a band, blimey it was over 30 years ago now, we played an outdoor gig at a birthday party and I have my amp cranked up way louder than I used to for indoor gigs just to try and hear it, that was an open backed combo as well. Those Twins sound great on the rooftop show.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072

I can't wait to see the whole rooftop performance in hi-def.
    According to the Beatles Gear book which I once had, they were using Fender gear around this time because Fender sent them a load of stuff for free- and the consignment included George's Rosewood Tele. This attempt to get free publicity paid of handsomely, because here was all this Fender stuff plastered all over the Let It Be film/. 

So they were basically playing with the free new toys I suppose! It explains why Paul's bass had a sticker saying 'Bassman' on it in some of the footage. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Just received an email from Spotify saying it’s available on their site/app.

Link —> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXb8LCPoRdhs1?si=KqomiYW0QXKH2PoSwPwfVg
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27476
    duotone said:

I've started listening to that this morning, trying to decide whether it's worth £110.

The 2021 mix sounds so much more alive, energetic, fresh, clear, raw, real.  It doesn't sound like a 50+ year old album.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    duotone said:

I've started listening to that this morning, trying to decide whether it's worth £110.

The 2021 mix sounds so much more alive, energetic, fresh, clear, raw, real.  It doesn't sound like a 50+ year old album.

Presumably you can just listen to it on Spotify?

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I see that the deluxe set includes one disc devoted to the Glyn Johns original 'Get Back' album. I've had this for this years and it's a far superior record to the official 'Let It Be' IMO. Why they faffed around bringing Spector in to fart about I don't know. Johns had it right. 
    TTony said:
    duotone said:

Presumably you can just listen to it on Spotify?

Indeed, I could, and I am.

But I’d rather have the flexibility of *owning* the physical format.  I realise you don’t work that way though!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    It does sound very good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    TTony said:

Cough... choke... what?! I had no idea it was that much.

For that price I'd want a personal interview with Paul and Ringo thrown in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    TTony said:

Cough... choke... what?! I had no idea it was that much.

For that price I'd want a personal interview with Paul and Ringo thrown in.
    Yup - I'm not tempted at £110, but there will be deals appearing over the next weeks and months.  

I managed to get the White Album super deluxe version for 60Euros during a special deal.  I'll wait for the same for this.
    edited October 2021
    I've downloaded the Let It Be Super Deluxe. It's great. I'm really loving the rooftop songs remixed. 'Dig A Pony' turned up loud sounds like the boys are playing in your living room! Really good stuff, I love the slow swampy rock Americana vibe.

John's vocals with Paul's falsetto harmonies on the "everything has just go to be just like you want it to" line is incredible.

Funny but I never really noted John's dig at the Rolling Stones before:

"I'm Rolling Stoning
    Well, you can imitate everyone you know
    Yes, you can imitate everyone you know
    I told you so"

I've read that The Beatles were critical of the Stones for imitating them through the late 60s