Care for unfinished maple neck?

What's Hot
pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
edited August 2021 in Guitar
So I am current custodian of the beauty below (something of a forum favourite eh @DrCornelius ?).

I'm playing it recently but have never given the neck or fretboard TLC - what does it need?

I've tracked down 'Music Nomad F One' for the fretboard - will that do?

Do I use something different for the neck? It's what I believe is called unfinished. I don't want it plastic feeling, I like its natural state, I just want it as good as it can be.

(thanks).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    My two cents (but I’m happy to be corrected)...

Maple boards are normally lacquered and shouldn’t be oiled. In fact my understanding is that you’ll do more harm than good.

Maple necks that appear to be unfinished actually have a thin polyurethane finish and, again, my understanding is that you should leave things alone.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    As far as I'm aware maple fretboards don't need (or even benefit from) any oil or conditioner etc. like other woods do.

I have a Stingray that has the "unfinished" fretboard/neck and always just assumed it's the same as any other maple but I'll be keeping an eye on the thread in case anyone informs otherwise.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Let it get dirty.

Looks cool.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    Years ago, I oiled my Wolfgang "unfinished" neck and Board all over with Kyser Lem-Oil, it tuned the neck from it's original Pale wood colour to a very nice aged colour. I've never used that since though as I discovered the F-One Oil.

I only ever use the F-One Oil on my Wolfgang and all my other Guitars (which are all Rosewood anyway). I don't put any oil on the back (neck) now though. I have some really, really, really, really fine grade emery that I very occasionally give a quick rub up and down the neck part, that's all it takes and it's as smooth as the proverbial. Doesn't remove the nice aged colour or scratch either.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Truoil.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17458
    edited August 2021
    Tru Oil or osmo oil work great on un lacquered maple.   Finish off with a good rub down with briwax and 0000 steel wool for a really sleek neck.  Yes it's a finish.  Maple needs something, but it doesn't have to be lacquer

Normal fretboard oils are meant to recondition rosewood and ebony which are often left truly unfinished.   NOt really what you are after for raw maple.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Assuming you’re talking about the back of the neck rather than the fretboard: periodic rub down with very fine wire wool, and then a light rub of gunstock oil or tung oil.

An unfinished maple fretboard would be quite unusual.  Assuming it’s varnished, it shouldn’t need anything more than a wipe with a damp cloth (and definitely no abrasives).
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    HAL9000 said:
    My two cents (but I’m happy to be corrected)...

Maple boards are normally lacquered and shouldn’t be oiled. In fact my understanding is that you’ll do more harm than good.

Maple necks that appear to be unfinished actually have a thin polyurethane finish and, again, my understanding is that you should leave things alone.
    looking closely on the neck you're quite right it has the faintest (reflective finish). ta.

(I can't detect any finish on the fretboard).
    Cols said:
    Assuming you’re talking about the back of the neck rather than the fretboard: periodic rub down with very fine wire wool, and then a light rub of gunstock oil or tung oil.

An unfinished maple fretboard would be quite unusual.  Assuming it’s varnished, it shouldn’t need anything more than a wipe with a damp cloth (and definitely no abrasives).
    I'll show you - I think the fretboard is unfinished. Yes on looking the neck has the faintest of finishes.
    ps all, when I wrote 'neck' I meant including the fretboard. oops.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I love a nice dirty maple neck with no finish.

Nice guitar there!
    axisus said:
    I love a nice dirty maple neck with no finish.

Nice guitar there!
    ta. it's a keeper!
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3166
    My Strat has no finish on its neck and fretboard (modified). What I do is use 0000 steel wool to lightly rub the back of the neck. For the fretboard, tape the fret wire with masking tape then lightly rub the frets. Once done, a coat of Truoil which is allowed to dry. 
    Can I ask a related question - are the necks that seem as if they aren't varnished like the one on my Musicman Ray4 actually just finished with a very thin coat or do some guitars actually come with a completely unfinished neck?

And is the advice for oiling a maple neck only if it's properly unfinished like one bought as a part or are people saying it's worth oiling a maple neck even if it has been finished?
    Stevepage said:
    My Strat has no finish on its neck and fretboard (modified). What I do is use 0000 steel wool to lightly rub the back of the neck. For the fretboard, tape the fret wire with masking tape then lightly rub the frets. Once done, a coat of Truoil which is allowed to dry. 
    Tru-oil is a finish.

You have an unlacquered neck
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    thegummy said:
    Can I ask a related question - are the necks that seem as if they aren't varnished like the one on my Musicman Ray4 actually just finished with a very thin coat or do some guitars actually come with a completely unfinished neck?
    Any guitars I’ve owned which had apparently unfinished maple necks actually had a thin polyurethane coat. This includes Squiers, Fenders, and Yamahas. No idea if there are any brands that have a genuinely unfinished neck.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited August 2021
    HAL9000 said:
    thegummy said:
    Any guitars I’ve owned which had apparently unfinished maple necks actually had a thin polyurethane coat. This includes Squiers, Fenders, and Yamahas. No idea if there are any brands that have a genuinely unfinished neck.
    None of them have unlacquered or oiled necks.  They have thin coats of satin lacquer.

Truly raw unfinished maple just doesn't feel that nice.   You can get it smooth but it will quickly start to feel rough again as wood fibres swell with dirt and moisture.

If you want it as close to unfinished as possible you still need a light oil or wax to seal it.

Something like Danish oil can be wiped on and off, and will still get quite dirty with use, may need reapplying every so often 

Something like truoil will build a bit more so not let it get as dirty and not need reapplying as often.  You can even keep applying it like a lacquer, but why would you. 

I like to wetsand with the oil for a truly sleek feeling neck with as little finish as possible.   It's very very thin, and the surface of the wood won't swell with moisture.

Just beeswax and mineral oil melted together gives a bloody nice feeling neck too.

For me  they are best with a lot of rubbing and buffing to give it that old well used bannister feel.... truly smooth and as close to raw wood as possible, without feeling shit

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    thegummy said:
    Just had a look at their website to see if it said but it doesn't give any info on the neck or fretboard finish.

P.S. how obnoxious is their website - I googled the model and clicked the link to take me to the specific model's page but then it instantly redirected me back to their home page and I had to click through a few of their menus to get back to the page I was on initially. Crazy to think that the person who thought that was a good idea got paid to implement it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:

And is the advice for oiling a maple neck only if it's properly unfinished like one bought as a part or are people saying it's worth oiling a maple neck even if it has been finished?
    Musicman tend to favour a mix of gunstock oil and wax, blended together and rubbed in as required - silky smooth feel
  • thegummy said:

Musicman tend to favour a mix of gunstock oil and wax, blended together and rubbed in as required - silky smooth feel
    They do indeed. The Birchwood Casey stuff is highly recommended and relatively easy to get hold of.