Fender amps and Celestion V30's

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
Anyone heard or tried this combination?

While I'm sorting the supersonic out I thought I might upgrade the standard fender driver for something else - a V30 is all I have in the garage. Though I ha thought about a cannabis Rex or something of that ilk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It isn't exactly the same but the V types in my new Twin sound epic.  The inherent warmth of the Supersonic would sound pretty good (and loud) with the V30 I would have thought.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    i swapped out the eminence in the Hot Rod Deluxe i had for a V30 and it improved the amp 1000%

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited August 2014
    Tried it with an HRD and didn't much like it- it improved the dirty channels but killed the cleans.

That's not to say you won't like it, though, and if you have one lying around it'd certainly be worth a try. I think some of the supersonics come with v30s so they may well have voiced it to sound good with them. I know the engl screamer (for example) still has nice cleans with a v30, so it is possible.
  • Hated it, but then again I hate V30's. I think the older celestions like the G12 65 or 75 sounded better in fender amps, still get the twang but with a better mid, not a spiky midrange.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    ^  Agreed, there are other celestions which sound more "fendery" (IMO) while still sounding pretty celestiony with dirt. Those ones you said, or the g12h30 (only for lower wattage amps) or maybe even the classic lead. As you said, it seems to be the mids.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Not a match I like, although I like V30s very much with the right amps.

The G12-65 is fantastic with BF/SF Fenders. Tweeds sound better with Alnicos or something less inherently midrangy, to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    The special edition Supersonic has a v30. There are plenty of YouTube demos.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    They work well, in both Blackface and tweed fenders.

In particular, a Bassman through a 2x12 closed back cab sporting V30's is pretty damn awesome!

Marlin
  • And what about greenbacks?
    tFB Trader
    This video might help you decide 

This is PGS Andy demoing the V30 equipped special edition complete with horrible gold covering:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shit!! The tones on that second clip are out of this world Nick!!

The v30 is going in. After I get it fixed!!
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I was going to put a V30 in it if I'd kept it based on that clip. 
  • Mind you Andy PGS can make anything sound awesome - the amount of gear I've bought based on one of his demos is huge
    tFB Trader
    Make sure you get a packet of Andy fingers from PGS. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Andy from PGS could make a banana with fuse wire wrapped around it sound excellent.  Trust only your own fingers and ears :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    ...my Supersonic 60 has a V30... so has my Cornford and the tones are completely different.

The Fender is very Fendery on the clean... The Cornford is more Marshall on the grind

I also have a V30 in an external cab and sometimes run my Fender Super Champ XD into it... better than the stock 10"...

After hearing A/B tetsts on a range of Celestions, the V30 came out well against both the Gold  and Blue as has some characteristics of both to my ears.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Marlin
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    I tried both v30 and a green in my old BlJr. The greenback was much much better.
    Woodier and more old school sounding
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I just took delivery of a Bogner Cube with a V30 in, sounds fantastic I thought.  People say it is bright but I don't find it particularly so.  Perhaps in a closed back cab helps i dunno.
  • RaymondLin;317574" said:
    I just took delivery of a Bogner Cube with a V30 in, sounds fantastic I thought.  People say it is bright but I don't find it particularly so.  Perhaps in a closed back cab helps i dunno.
    Yup, lots of people agree a v30 likes closed back cabs. Also, being a Bogner, it'll be a well made cab which helps. It wasn't until I compared a mesa cab with a Marshall, both loaded with v30s, that I realised how much difference cab construction can make!