Wraparound bridge query

Another day, another query from my latest build. This is not so much of a cause for concern as a "will this improve things" question.
I have used one of these Wilkinson wraparound bridges on my latest build, and following earlier advice, have achieved pretty good intonation first time,

Wilkinson Wrap-around Bridge for Les Paul Junior / Jnr, etc, Badass (northwestguitars.co.uk)

As I have the bridge with a bass-side offset, the strings do not follow quite a straight path over the channels on the bridge, leaving the forward (pickup side) edge at a slight angle.
The forward edge has a slight lip to it where the string channels exit, which is easily seen in close-up.

With this bridge, would it be worth/advisable to file down this lip, or is it required, forming the saddle?

Cheers,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    A lip is preferable to a dip in this location, but ideally the string channel should just carry straight on without either.

The PRS stoptail has no lip.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Unfortunately, I susp[ect this Wilkinson bridge was designed with a perpendicular-to-midline position in mind, and Ive buggered it up with trying to get the intonation spot-on :)

Adam
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    The critical path is from bridge to nut. Where the wraps go is comparatively trivial.

e.g. On Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars, the strings fan out slightly from the tailpiece anchor point towards the saddles.

On Gibson Junior and Special guitars with a smooth wrapover bridge, the strings traverse the bridge surface at a diagonal relative to the edges. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    The critical path is from bridge to nut. Where the wraps go is comparatively trivial.

e.g. On Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars, the strings fan out slightly from the tailpiece anchor point towards the saddles.

On Gibson Junior and Special guitars with a smooth wrapover bridge, the strings traverse the bridge surface at a diagonal relative to the edges. 

Ok, thats useful info, thanks.

As an aside, does your sig  "be seeing you" have anything to do with an American folk singer?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    Kalimna said:
    As an aside, does your sig  "be seeing you" have anything to do with an American folk singer?
    No. The phrase is borrowed from the Sixties television series, The Prisoner.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.