Adding Text/Date to Ukelele...

What's Hot
Hi all, I'm getting married on the 16th September and I've arranged to join the Ceilidh barn dance band for a song to start the second half of their set which will be great. It's a surprise for the Mrs singing/playing a song that has sentimental meaning to us - Five Years Time by Noah and the Whale, though the wedding date is 11 years to the day from our first date so I've changed the words a bit too be 11 Years Time.

I have a soprano ukulele in dark wood colour (mahogany?) and a few people who know about this have suggested I put the date on the little uke as a momento of the day which does sound great but I've left it a bit late to sort now.

Anybody got any ideas about how I could do it? I'm guessing engraving or burning it on will be hard if I've never done it before.

We do have a Cricut machine which can cut sticky back vinyl which might be an option?

Thanks!

I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• First attempt manual pyrogravure will look like a prison tattoo. 

I suspect that the occasion in general and you performing a song should suffice to fix your (plural) day in the memory.

Enjoy.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 318
    Water slide decal, letraset ? Some varnish...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    How about a small engraved metal disc like a dogtag, double side taped to the back of the headstock or similar…..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited September 2021
    Go with the sticky back plastic as it sounds like its the easiest option for you with the time available.  If you have gold or silver that will look great, but black or white will do.   It will eventually peel with lots of use, especially if its in a place where the edges get caught, so think about placement carefully

printing your own waterslides can be done, but if using a home printer the decal may not stand out well against the mahogany.  works well if you paint the Uke a light colour first and can be lacquered over for longevity.  I don't think you have time for that

pyrography would be a skill to learn, and you don't have time for this if you haven't done it before.

If you know someone with good calligraphy skills , you could ask them to do it with a paint pen, then spray a light coat of lacquer over it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited September 2021
    Thanks all - some good ideas and good points made here. I'll leave the pyromania to the experts haha but will look at what I can draw up for the vinyl for now I think. Though the dog tag idea is a cool one.

Not sure I have the patience (or the printer) for decals though I'm sure that would look nice as well
  • WezV said:
    … sticky back plastic … will eventually peel
    This could be turned to your advantage. Over time, the finish will discolour differentially. When the plastic eventually comes unstuck, the legend will still show in the uke finish.

• WezV said:
    … sticky back plastic … will eventually peel
    This could be turned to your advantage. Over time, the finish will discolour differentially. When the plastic eventually comes unstuck, the legend will still show in the uke finish.

You sir are a genius
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    You could use the Cricut to make a frisket/stencil and spray through?
    https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/trade-secrets/spraying-a-peghead-logo-using-a-vinyl-frisket.html
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You sir are a genius
    Nah. That was WezV.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    Saw it in half and count the rings
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You sir are a genius
    Nah. That was WezV.
    There's room for two geniuses I think. The hive mind.

Thanks all - vinyl is looking likely. I like the spray paint idea but I've not had much luck with paint in the past sadly
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    You might be able to make a miniature ball and chain, have the ball engraved, and chain that to the uke?
    edited September 2021
    BillDL said:
    You might be able to make a miniature ball and chain, have the ball engraved, and chain that to the uke?
    I imagine the symbolism of that wouldn't go down too well!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8076
    edited September 2021
    If you want it done properly I'd order a custom rothko and frost decal and a can of clear nitro.
    Follow instructions to do the decal on the headstock, then mask off everything but headstock face and add 2 thin and 2 thicker coats of nitro. 

But knowing past threads I suspect you may have an objection to any sensible advice:

"My index finger is too unusually long to apply consistent pressure on a spray can"
    "I have to use water on the waterslide decal? I dont like water".
    "My dog will bark at the postman and the neighbours get upset"
    "I wont have space to store the spray can afterwards" 
    "I'm hear a weird hum whenever I face north holding sandpaper"
  • Winny_Pooh said:" 
    "I hear a weird hum whenever I face north holding sandpaper"
    You are Steve Smith or David Warner and I claim my five Guineas.
    edited September 2021
    If you want it done properly I'd order a custom rothko and frost decal and a can of clear nitro.
    Follow instructions to do the decal on the headstock, then mask off everything but headstock face and add 2 thin and 2 thicker coats of nitro. 

But knowing past threads I suspect you may have an objection to any sensible advice:

"My index finger is too unusually long to apply consistent pressure on a spray can"
    "I have to use water on the waterslide decal? I dont like water".
    "My dog will bark at the postman and the neighbours get upset"
    "I wont have space to store the spray can afterwards" 
    "I'm hear a weird hum whenever I face north holding sandpaper"
    Thanks I'll look that up as I may get it done by somebody else properly after the wedding, but for now I'm just putting the sticky back vinyl on the body as it is easily done and easily removed
  • You could use a paint pen, but I'm not sure how robust it'll be without some sort of sealer or lacquer over the top.

Re pyrography, I once wrote a message on a drum stick using a cheap pyrography kit from Amazon. It actually worked surprisingly well but I did practice quite a bit on wood dowel and some spare drum sticks. Also, the structure of the wood will have an impact on how well it works. If you wanted to go down that route I'd suggest getting some scrap mahogany to test on.
  • Well I've gone for the vinyl! Quite pleased with how it looks though the photo makes it look like I have just photo shopped the lettering on

It should come off cleanly with a bit of determined peeling etc should I decide to get somebody to do it properly afterwards, but for now I'm happy with that. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    Good job.

Glad it worked out for you.

Whilst wear can be an issue, in real terms you may still be fine with that for years
  • WezV said:
    Good job.

Glad it worked out for you.

Whilst wear can be an issue, in real terms you may still be fine with that for years
    Cheers Wez, yes hopefully it'll stay as it is for a bit at least, but no damage done if not. As Nigel kindly said earlier, if nothing else the day itself and doing this specific song will make the Uke a great musical memento of the occasion and who knows, I may even get the Mrs to learn it afterwards.

Thanks for the info fellas, if I do eventually get the waterslide done at some point in the future I'll post another picture for interest purposes