Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Epilogue, the update

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6079
edited September 2021 in Guitars £
This is Woody and he’s my best friend. He needs a new knee and I really don’t need more than one guitar.  No sympathy required here as he’s going to be just fine and I have no problem turning a few toys back into cash. What I have had real trouble with is deciding which to put on the block, so I’ve put a load here but I’ll likely sell two at most. I will add a little cautionary note though for anyone like me, who took out their pet insurance several years back and have renewed at the same level of cover. A figure per claim that would have covered an operation, the pre and post op rehabilitation therapies and all the drugs back in 2015 won’t do now.

So there are five lovelies here to tempt you all. Clearly cash is king but if you want to throw a trade idea at me that includes a big chunk of money my way, I’m happy to listen. Ideally collection from me in North Wilts so you can try at your leisure but I’m happy to meet or talk shipping too.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6079
    edited September 2021
    So first up is an Eastman Romeo LA - £1200

Just as it arrived from Mak's in London. I'd say it's absolutely 100% perfect but the paintwork on the inside of the f holes is a little rough and could use a touch of sanding back if these things matter to you. I've been pretty lost in just playing and enjoying it. It's the Gibson styled hollow body that I've been looking for ever since I first swooned at a 335. Where the Gibsons always feels  too big for me, this is much more compact and the body isn't much bigger than a Tele. All the hardware is top notch, the Göldo (Duesenberg) trem flutters really well and the and the SD Phat Cats under those gorgeous gold foil covers are nice and gritty, like a P90 should be. It's fully hollow, so it's very light and VERY alive. Squeals gorgeously when you want it to

• Neck Material:Maple
    • Fingerboard:Ebony
    • Fingerboard Radius:12"
    • Nut:Bone 1.72"
    • Fretwire:Jescar FFW47104-P
    • Scale Length:24.75"
    • Body Dimensions:14.75" x 1.75"
    • Body Top:Spruce Laminate
    • Body Back/Sides:Mahogany Laminate
    • Truss Rod:Single Acting
    • Binding:Top and Back
    • Binding Material:Ivoroid
    • Logo:Pearl Headstock
    • Inlay:Pearl Dots
    • Side Dot Color:Pearl Half Circle
    • Finish:Gloss Finish
    • Hardware Color:Nickel
    • Pickguard:None
    • Tailpiece:Göldo TLT2N Tremolo
    • Bridge:Göldo-3-point-vario-bridge HW2GN
    • Tuners:Göldo MGDBL33N Back Locking Tuners
    • Knobs:Gold Speed Knobs
    • Strap Peg:Gotoh EP-A1
    • Neck Pickup:Seymour Duncan Radiator Phat Cat P-90
    • Bridge Pickup:Seymour Duncan Radiator Phat Cat P-90
    • Pickup Height:3/32"
    • Pickup Frame:Creme Plastic
    • 3 Way Switch:Goldo #EL002
    • Switch Tip:Switchcraft Ivory
    • Capacitors:Sky MC473 .047mf
    • Potentiometers:CTS 500K AudioTaper
    • Output Jack:Switchcraft L11
    • Pickup Wiring:Gavitt Braided Wire
    • Case:Hardshell Case
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    Rivolta Mondata XVIII - £1100

This one is just a few weeks old, bought after being really really impressed with the Mondata baritone. I was fairly skeptical about the whole Rivolta brand for a while, I know that Denis Fano's reputation speaks very loudly but they are still made by Eastwood and their reputation, when it comes to quality, is not always so hot. But seeing the retailers that have chosen to stock them did suggest they are a top level product. And you know what? They really are. 

The finish is deep and flawless, the fretwork is that of a premium brand, the set up it arrived with is excellent, the pickups have genuine character and it plays with a smooth low action. Oh.... and did I mention, it's sparkly and lovely 3

• Chambered mahogany body w/ mahogany top
    • German carve top w/ raised center block
    • White binding on front and back
    • Set maple neck
    • Ebony fingerboard w/ white binding
    • Full width moto block inlays
    • 3+3 peghead w/ white binding
    • 25" scale length
    • 1.687" nut width
    • C' shape neck carve
    • 3x 'Fumante' Mini-Humbuckers
    • -Bridge: 42AWG / Alnico V / 7.5kOhm
    • -Middle: 42AWG / Alnico V / 6.8kOhm
    • -Neck: 42AWG / Alnico V / 6.2kOhm
    • Master volume, master tone, 2 toggle switches
    • Kluson style tuners
    • Tune-o-matic bridge w/ traditional nylon saddles & Les Trem Tremolo
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    Music Man St Vincent HH Blue Dawn - £1400

People go on a lot about Music Man, how there is nothing like them and once you play one you'll never go back etc etc. I've played one or two before but I was never smitten until this one. There is lot of truth in how fabulous the necks feel but there is much more to the formula here. The weight, shape and balance all work together to hit a super sweet spot and as one of our finer gents here said to me, nothing cups a moob better. I can confirm this is true btw. The biggest surprise for me with this guitar, with its space age look is how vintage the pickups sound. It's totally not what you'd expect and makes this a perfect HH guitar for people that don't always get Humbuckers or find them muddy and overpowering. There is also two split coil settings on the 5 way switch, which are really not bad at all. Other stuff not mentioned in the little spec list are the stainless frets and the very awesome case. A fully fitted, proper flight case affair. This is probably the first one I'll crumble on and pull from sale 

Now, pay attention. This bit is important.
    The guitar is in fabulous condition but it has had A SIGNIFICANT NECK/HEAD REPAIR.
    It suffered a drop before it had even been sold by Andertons and they have had it repaired. It's the best neck repair I've seen, had to see at all and impossible to feel but it's there. Please take a close look at the pics.

BODY WOOD: 
    Mahogany 
    BRIDGE PICKUP: 
    Custom Music Man designed humbucker
    FRETBOARD WOOD:
    Rosewood 
    HARDWARE COLOUR:
    Chrome
    NECK PICKUP: 
    Custom Music Man designed humbucker
    NECK WOOD: 
    Maple
    PICKUP CONFIG:
    H/H 
    BRIDGE TYPE: 
    Classic Tremolo
    NUMBER OF STRINGS:
    6 String Guitars
    SCALE LENGTH: 
    25.5"
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    SOLD - California Artist Custom Shop Telecaster - £900

From the workshop of Michael Coulings, this is 'Pistachio". I don't actually know many of the specs on this one. I can tell you it's light, the finish is a yellow over blue to give the green, the relicing is nice and restrained, the neck is all maple and feel wonderful (like REALLY wonderful) and the hardware is great. This is the one that the folks I know as real people on here have said I'm mad to put on the block. They're probably right. It came to me with a completely mad 11 pole piece tele pickup in the bridge and while not bad at all, it wasn't quite right. I've changed that this week for what is probably a Pure Vintage 64 from Fender. See this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/212861/anyone-recognise-this-tele-pickup#latest

The Neck pickup is a WRHB style from The Creamery and is without doubt the sweetest neck humbucker I've ever heard. If this guitar does go, I'll be getting one of these in something else one day. Comes in a very sweet lightweight aluminium flight case too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    Fidelity Double Standard - £1200

The last gem is this hand build from Matt, who is Fidelity. It's a chambered swamp ash body and top, the neck is single piece of wenge, or if you prefer the other way, wenge. All the hardware is completely bespoke, the pickups are from Mojo and it's nice and light. Around the low 7s. It definitely has it's own voice, in no small part due to the pickup voiceings. The Mojotron Blade in the bridge is very mid biased, great for sharp and cutting tones but never shrill. The single coil Goldfoil at the neck is super scooped, so huge amounts of warmth and sparkle. The 4 way switch gives you the option of series or parallel for the both on setting. One is what you'd expect and the other is really hot. I like that one a lot. I've always thought that the difference between the two pickups is more like taking a guitar from a very mashally amp to a very fendery one. A great juxtaposition of a guitar, it looks very industrial but plays like the very refined hand built thing it is.

To quote Murray, "I'm going to stop now because I have a lump in my throat"
    Yeah, I quite like this one 3

Oh, comes in a lovely Hiscox hard case too. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28248
    PM me your PayPal addy.

(Not related to any of the guitars!).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    How much is that Tele in the window (the one without the waggly tail)? And woody is a handsome fella, hope he's better soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 801
    Wowsers,  already tempted by the Eastman and the St Vincent!
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 736
    Love a beagle. GLWTS and hope Woody recovers quickly 
  • Never heard of Fidelity before. That is a beautiful thing and I even like the headstock design. I think I have a new aspirational guitar purchase. Sending love for the dog beast. 
  • Shiiiiit….the Rivolta….and I’m in Wilts…..but I don’t have the spondoodles right now….FFS
  • GLWTS and with Woody
  • This is without doubt the most high quality and well crafted for sale post I've ever seen.  Good skills. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5700
    I'm not in the market but I gotta say, superb photos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28367
    TTony said:
    PM me your PayPal addy.

(Not related to any of the guitars!).
    Good man! We could set up a Woody's knee fund. I'm not well off but I'd gladly stick a tenner in the pot. If a few people were of a like mind then surely it would help a bit. 

loving the green Tele!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28248
    @axisus - the first photo did it for me.

All those photos of guitars ... pah!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JGCJGC Frets: 159
    The green tele used to be mine and it is a particularly fine Tele, and as stated the neck is sublime...I suggest someone buys it quickly so that they have a great guitar and Woody gets a new knee.....funnily enough not only did the Tele used to be mine but our dog is called Woody too :-)
    Thank you so much to @TTony and @axisus, really moved by the gesture to help out. I'll wake Woods up in mo and tell him how lovely you are too. That said, I've got this. I've been very fortunate to gather some lovely toys over the last couple of years and this has always been my savings account. And again, having a savings account at all makes me a pretty lucky bod too. 

If you're so inclined and have a few pennies spare, pop something in the tin next time you see a vet charity collecting for people that cant afford to help their best friend  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3595
    My doggie had knee surgery this year and we had a vast range of quotes. In the end the £2k op which was one of the cheapest produced a full recovery. If you haven't shopped around, I'd advise you to.
  • Shiiiiit….the Rivolta….and I’m in Wilts…..but I don’t have the spondoodles right now….FFS
    I’ve got a Rivolta Mondata in black and gold.  Awesome guitar, with a wonderful neck, can’t recommend it high enough. 
    They really do ooze quality, 
    @dazzajl has a baritone version too, I’m kinda listing over that one, love that throaty deep open chord baritone sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom