Heavy distortion pedal into clean or cleanish jtm derived amp?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    dindude;324369" said:
    @theprettydamned just saw an email from PMT selling the Peavey 6505 plus combo for £299, that's gotta be worth a look at that price!
    I know, I've had to heads up but my car is being serviced today and it's costing more than originally anticipated. :(

Which is crap because I'd have had that in a heart beat. :( however, I've found a couple of amps that I'm interested in elsewhere and have messaged some folks. With luck, I'll be getting an amp soon :)

If not, then I'll save extra until November - birthday month - I could go for something a bit different and more expensive, such as a mesa dc-3 or 5, or maybe a fender machete. Another amp that seems reasonably priced is the Laney AOR heads and combos, which are supposed to be pretty nice and well built, if the Internet is to be believed.

Those mesa dc amps seem to be bargainous, and I doubt mesa would release a poorly built amp.

AOR's are monsters, the volume on tap is not of this earth. If you can find the six knob version then you'll be rewarded with some of the very finest heavy tones ever in my opinion. The Mesa DC's are also incredible and bloody loud. I recently missed out on one while waiting for a cheque from the inland revenue to clear, gutted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the tips :D

How does the dc-3 handle lower gain od tones? I'm getting right into lighter alternative and indie stuff at the moment.

If I'm not careful, I'll wind up asking for an analogue delay and booteek fuzz pedal... ;)
    Thanks for the tips :D

How does the dc-3 handle lower gain od tones? I'm getting right into lighter alternative and indie stuff at the moment.

If I'm not careful, I'll wind up asking for an analogue delay and booteek fuzz pedal... ;)

Don't turn into one of those pisswimps! The DC3 will handle the low gain stuff very easily, just don't expect it to be a plexi because it doesn't really do that sound.
  • timmysoft said:
    Thanks for the tips :D

Don't turn into one of those pisswimps! The DC3 will handle the low gain stuff very easily, just don't expect it to be a plexi because it doesn't really do that sound.
    I know, right?  It's only a matter of time before I'm asking which Dumble clone is best... :( a sad day indeed.  

I really, really loved the JTM45 sound, but another lower gain sound I love a lot is the Voxy style.  But I found they are pretty fussy when it comes to high gain...

And, of course, there is the Tweedy style of sound, which is pretty nice.  

But really, I would want a clean clean channel, and either a proper heavy drive channel (I would use the Son of Hyde for the lower gain sounds, it actually is really good at that!) or a drive channel that has a great OD sound so I can use the Son of Hyde to kick arse.  
    Thought about a crate blue voodoo? I used to run one and it was a superb bit of kit. There's a lot of shit on the internet about the blue voodoo, but my experiences were all massively good. Here's my old one for good measure: photo studioregal015.jpg
  • I'll look into it :D

Sadly, I just picked my car up from the service and it cost more than I hoped, and they said I need to replace a couple of parts as they're wearing out, probably in a month or two. So any hopes of buying are on hold. :(

However, in November it's my birthday. Yaaaay.

So I think I'm going to save for something nicer - perhaps a mesa dc-5, a USA peavey combo, fender machete, or maybe even a used boutique amp - I'd *love* one from one of our own builders, and depending on my budget by November I might choose to wait a bit longer to get something really special :)

Fender style channel one and a Marshall style channel two or maybe a jtm channel one (is that Marshall or fender? ;) ) and something a bit naughtier on channel two with some form of attenuation or power scaling... MMM...

I can't even put into words how much I'm loving the visual sound son of Hyde - it really is just a brilliant sounding distortion, and genuinely gives me a sound I am 100 percent happy with for most purposes. Today, I tested it through a valve amp (fender hot rod deluxe) and it sounds even better than it does through the bandit.

So I might even be able to spec a single channel, power scaled amp. I'm liking this idea more and more, especially finally being able to buy from someone who's given me a ton of advice over the years.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Jeff Beck's always changing amps and his set up, but he's worth a quick listen for another take on the JTM sound. IIRC his rig when he played the Ronnie Scott's gig (videos of which are all over Youtube) was based around a JTM45. 

When I saw saw him about three years ago he was running a JTM45 as well. 

His drive pedal of choice going into it is a Klon. That plus liberal use of the volume control plus variation in picking attack shows what the amp is capable of. 
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    edited August 2014
    Get a Rockett Pedal 10 Ton Hammer, super versatile gain pedal with very usable EQ and volume on tap. I used mine with a Koch Studiotone and it didn't work that well but tried it through my mates Dr.Z Maz 38 and it was mind blowing!
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • mrn1989;325307" said:
    Get a Rockett Pedal 10 Ton Hammer, super versatile gain pedal with very usable EQ and volume on tap. I used mine with a Koch Studiotone and it didn't work that well but tried it through my mates Dr.Z Maz 38 and it was mind blowing!
    Sounds great, but I'm seriously happy with the son of Hyde at the moment mate. Brilliant gain, and achieves a great hard rock tone for me. :)

Neat pedal though, will keep eyes peeled. Gas never ends ;)