NAD: now this is a PROPER amp......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    LOL- I'm gay. We rarely have sex without chemicals of some description. It's a DNA thing. And they are 'Pink' Floyd.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Nice gassage Gassage. Bet that sounds sweet !!!

Sometimes I wish I had a time machine as I remember the old music shop in the town I lived in during the mid 90's being awash with old hiiwatts and marshals from the 60's and 70's. The reality is that nobody wanted this stuff back then and the owner had them in there for months at a time for literally £150 - £300 and just couldn't shift them. 

Wish I could have gone back, bought all of the stuff he had in there and just left it in a room for 20 years. Much more interest then you could ever get in the Bank...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    fastboy;318341" said:
    Sometimes I wish I had a time machine as I remember the old music shop in the town I lived in during the mid 90's being awash with old hiiwatts and marshals from the 60's and 70's. The reality is that nobody wanted this stuff back then and the owner had them in there for months at a time for literally £150 - £300 and just couldn't shift them. 

Wish I could have gone back, bought all of the stuff he had in there and just left it in a room for 20 years. Much more interest then you could ever get in the Bank...
    That the story of guitars in particular.

I sold a near mint 3tsb '65 Strat in the mid-80s for £500.

In that condition, it would probably be a £15,000 guitar now.... Doh!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    @ICBM - fixed your link, and yes...wow.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    edited August 2014
    It's broken again now… or it was.

Sorry :). I purposely removed the first bit - I tried the original one but it doesn't work as a direct link, at least not for me. You just get a blank square that won't link to anything with the full version.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 424
    So I'm guessing there are a few stadium gigs lined up then Gassage?  Or are you looking to level the local pub?  :)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ..and turning it around does what to improve the sound, exactly...?

Well, Birmingham is currently preparing for HS2. So I thought I'd get the noise and vibration engineers on my side right away...

• Just wow man. It's an amp I've literally only heard thanks to Gilmour. Never seen one in the flesh. Will probably never hear one wound up live.

Bring it to the masses!
    Just wow man. It's an amp I've literally only heard thanks to Gilmour. Never seen one in the flesh. Will probably never hear one wound up live.

Bring it to the masses!

"In the Flesh"- I saw what you did there !

Bud, I have had one before- the notion of them being fire breathing behemoth monsters of power is wrong. They're great when just warming the power bottles as they're all about clean.

One thing they have is a chime to the notes that no other amp that I have played has, not even CS Fenders. It rings. I love them and the only reason I bought it was because I found a Fane vintage cab and I've never had the pleasure of playing a Watt and a vintage Fane cab together- my old cab was a modern Fane cab.

I honestly mean it when I say a Cornish dirt pedal cranked into one is the best noise I've ever heard. But all ears differ....

• No man, I can believe it. Gilmour is a staple favourite sound - all of them! But I don't chase it because it's the path to doom for me. I found other, simpler sounds I love (hendrix, frusciante and general modern metal) which are much easier to obtain.

Interesting about the volume thing. It's a beautiful thing inside, really puts a lot of modern stuff to shame! Great gas. As you say, ultimate pedal platform - especially for the cornish kit.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Art thou scheming to produce any noise tastes for this avid forum via the Youtube and the digital media captured neighbour annoyance evidence?

Coupla vids would be lush.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."

Well as @thisisguitar of this parish (and a couple of others) are aware, I am currently taking a holiday from driving due to the absolute inability of the CPS to realise that 2 spliff 24 hours beforehand does not impair anything.

Be that as it may, my aim is, until licence is returned, to spend money I'd spend on a car on gear. And then keep it until I need to buy a car.

When that happens I shall then look at cars that cost around 4 Fender custom shop guitars to buy cash and cost a Cornish muff to insure and use one pack on Elixiers per 100 miles.

It makes sense.

jd0272 said:
    Art thou scheming to produce any noise tastes for this avid forum via the Youtube and the digital media captured neighbour annoyance evidence?

I did a few with my old Hiwatt- did you ever listen to them?

• Gassage;318975" said:
    Well as @thisisguitar of this parish (and a couple of others) are aware, I am currently taking a holiday from driving due to the absolute inability of the CPS to realise that 2 spliff 24 hours beforehand does not impair anything.Be that as it may, my aim is, until licence is returned, to spend money I'd spend on a car on gear. And then keep it until I need to buy a car.When that happens I shall then look at cars that cost around 4 Fender custom shop guitars to buy cash and cost a Cornish muff to insure and use one pack on Elixiers per 100 miles.It makes sense.
    Those economics are easier to follow than real money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Gassage said:
    jd0272 said:

I did a few with my old Hiwatt- did you ever listen to them?

Nah, don't usually spend much time in this bit, but currently 'Orange-ing' hence the nosing about. I'll boot about with the search thingy.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    I never get sick of looking at Hiwatt gutshots. @icbm I would love to get my hands on a 405 and a quad of Hiwatt 4x15s. Even just for a day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    incredible amp! used a 70s one of these a couple of times in the studio.. wanted to take it home with me
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

My first guitar amp was one of these Hi Watts. I paid £100 for it in 1986. I used an MXR distortion + and the old red analog Boss delay pedal with it
    I just remember it as a very loud clean amp that never distorted, gig'ed it with the pedals until I could afford a Marshall and I can't remember who brought it from me but I sold it on for about £60. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:

My first guitar amp was one of these Hi Watts. I paid £100 for it in 1986. I used an MXR distortion + and the old red analog Boss delay pedal with it
    I just remember it as a very loud clean amp that never distorted, gig'ed it with the pedals until I could afford a Marshall and I can't remember who brought it from me but I sold it on for about £60. 

Hate you