SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Yamaha YSG-1

What's Hot
tachycardia23tachycardia23 Frets: 32
edited March 1 in Guitars £
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Yamaha YSG-1 - FS £400 - UPS in UK

This is a cool thing but it's a bit finnicky. It has weird (unique?) locking tuners and a weird (unique?) lockable trem setup, I do have the arm too. These were pretty high end Japanese market models in their day, but they're not really that appreciated used. I will listen to offers as there's obvious damage to the finish. It's a bit of a Les type construction despite appearances with a mahogany body and maple cap, set neck, 24 frets, two tones and a master vol with coil split on a push-push, nice inlays and an original hangtag!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have YSG-1 lust. :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• The rumour is that Paul Reed Smith designed it when he worked for Yamaha, and it certainly has a PRS look to it. The picture is rubbish and doesn't show the carve on the top properly, but you can see it's maple through the hole in the finish.
  • bump and price drops
  • The rumour is that Paul Reed Smith designed it when he worked for Yamaha, and it certainly has a PRS look to it. The picture is rubbish and doesn't show the carve on the top properly, but you can see it's maple through the hole in the finish.
    It’s purely a rumour.

PRSh never actually worked for Yamaha. As I recall, the truth is that PRSh approached Yamaha prior to setting up his Maryland operation (~1982-84), with a view of partnering with them to produce guitars in Japan. This led to the some prototypes being produced, but the deal fell through for various reasons and they never went into production.

There’s a bit more detail in the PRS Guitars book, but I’ll have to dig out a copy to get the specifics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, there you go, I appreciate you providing the truth to the rumour.
  • Bump
  • Squier sold bump. Any swaps from anyone? A nice reverb pedal or a synth or a something else...?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14836
    edited October 2021
    I have YSG-1 lust. D
    Not again?

THINKS: If you bought a second YSG, would that make you a Yam Yam or a double Yammy?

guitargeek62 said:.
    PRS approached Yamaha prior to setting up his Maryland operation (~1982-84), with a view of partnering with them to produce guitars in Japan. This led to the some prototypes being produced, but the deal fell through for various reasons and they never went into production.

There’s a bit more detail in the PRS Guitars book, but I’ll have to dig out a copy to get the specifics
    I have the Tony Bacon book. The story Smith tells is that he was on the brink of agreeing to have Yamaha manufacture the jointly prototyped guitar when he decided that they were asking for too big a cut.

Instead, Smith scrabbled around to raise capital to expand his workshop into a large scale manufacturing business.

Seems to have worked out reasonably well.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bump
  • epic dredge bump
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    The rumour is that Paul Reed Smith designed it when he worked for Yamaha, and it certainly has a PRS look to it. The picture is rubbish and doesn't show the carve on the top properly, but you can see it's maple through the hole in the finish.
    I think that's a confusion with Martyn Boothe who designed the MSG
    Either way Yamaha makes an exceptionally good guitar