Routing a pickguard for a covered PAF - correct diameter bit?

Hi all, I need to rout a pickguard for a covered PAF replica, and need a smaller diameter bit than I currently own. Can anyone advise what the radius of a PAF cover is at the corners? I'd like the the rout to be neat and close fitting. I'll make my own template, and will use the radius of the cutter to define the radius of the corners, hence I'd like to get as close as possible. It seems I can get either 1/4 inch or 3/16 inch bearing guided bits. Of course, both would be nice to have, but cash is a scarce commodity at the moment! Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    The collection of old pickup surrounds I have almost all match a 1/4" diameter drill bit not 3/16" - there are a few with a smaller radius, but none larger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I did mine with a 1/4" diameter cutter. Pretty sure it was a trend one.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11976
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Thanks to all for your input. I was planning to order prior to receiving the pickup, but I think I'll hold fire until the pickup arrives and I can double check it.