Martin Liquid Metal bridge pins

What's Hot
Anyone tried them? Being metal you might expect a bright tone but actually you keep that deep bass rumble. They show little sign of wear, the only issue being the price. Pretty heavy too. Martin claim a volume increase but I didn't notice that :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The only pure metal that is liquid at room temperature is mercury. Mercury is toxic although it is rather dense (Specific gravity 13.6 from memory - water is 1.0). I can only assume it is sealed into the pins or "liquid" is not literal and called that for some marketing reason.

I'd be careful and try something like brass for pins which is readily available and a LOT cheaper. If you like that and want to blow a hundred on bridge pins - then go for it. I'll pass.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @ TheMadMick. They just call it liquid. I'd suggest the weight would affect the top's ability to vibrate, which wouldn't be a good thing surely? Luckily I was able to borrow so cost me nothing :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18756
    Been around for years. Not tried them myself.
    https://liquidmetal.com
    It is an amorphous alloy, flash cooled before 'normal' crystalline structures start forming.
    I smell a teeny hint of marketing snake oil, but I have no experience of the pins or any real desire to shell out to try them  :)
    YMMV 
    @Kittyfrisk. The claim (or one of them) is that they add volume. I found I got more volume using bone pins. I'm a big Martin fan but would I stump up £99 or so to buy them? No, I wouldn't :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18756
    Mellish said:
    @Kittyfrisk. The claim (or one of them) is that they add volume. I found I got more volume using bone pins. I'm a big Martin fan but would I stump up £99 or so to buy them? No, I wouldn't :) 
    Fair play to you. Bridge pins (like every other aspect of everything to do with guitars) can invoke strong opinions, but big prices don't always result in equivalent exponential improvements, as you found  ;)
  • This is a nice comparison 
    Thanks guys for your input. I was glad that I could borrow a set. I found them interesting. If they didn't cost £99 or so, maybe I WOULD buy but otherwise it's too much when there's good pins for a lot less :) 
  • The cryogenically treated liquid metal pins sound better.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @thermionic. Do they brighten an acoustic? Tone is subjective but, in your opinion, do they add brightness or do you basically keep what you've got but less wear? :) 
  • Sorry, I was being sarcastic! I swapped the plastic pins on a couple of guitars to ebony, but not for any sound benefits, just because I’ve had a couple of cheap plastic pins go brittle and break.
    No harm done my dear - nothing to apologise for :) 
    I like white pins in my ebony bridge, and I mostly choose bone from Bob Colosi in the US. He has a huge selection, including dyed :) 
    He's at http://www.guitarsaddles.com if it helps :) 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    Interesting that so few have tried them! Made me Google again.

Martin's claims? Liquid metal pins "reflect" sound rather than absorb it. They increase volume and sustain without sacrificing tone. They are durable and last longer.

I don't really understand the first of these. Bridge pins ensure contact between string, saddle and bridge. They must vibrate with that part of the guitar because they are in it. Not sure "reflection" of sound convinces me as a concept. Nor that bridge pins absorb much sound.

The second claim is, as ever, subjective. Many reviewers say they are a little brighter and louder than non-metallic pins like ebony, bone, tusq or plastic.

The 3rd claim is true. Metal (Liquid Metal is a Zirconium alloy) is harder wearing than non-metals. As a keen amateur playing non-vintage acoustics, I have never (in 45y) needed to replace bridge pins because they wore out.

Cost is the biggie innit. Liquid Metal  $199.99 (£145.55). Amazon price for a set of brass pins £5.99. Ebony £10.99. Bone £10.90. Tusq £21.41. Plastic £4.

I've tried all bridge pins over the years. I have brass on my Yamaha FG5. Otherwise I prefer bone.

I would love to try Liquid Metal but I cannot justify the cost.

Make them cheaper Martin. Make them even £20-30 and a shed load more of us will try them - (and you'll probably make more money from vastly greater sale volumes with lower margins!!)
    Yes, the price is the issue here @DavidR. The cheapest I've seen them  is £99..Thats still a lot of money, especially if you buy a set and you hear very little difference :) 
    What I DID find though, and failed to mention, is that they smoothed out the sound, killing any harshness. To me that was a plus. But, unless I could find a used set, I'd stick with bone :)