Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Colour

What's Hot
Apologies if I’ve upset any one recently but I’m truly bored stiff of tobacco sunburst strats and various shades of brown Les Pauls
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No worries. I like them enough to bring balance to the universe between us
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    edited September 2021
    Seafoam green, or some variation on bright orange ftw

Or of course my eye-melting Schecter...

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12579
    I live pastel fenders and have a surf green jag but I seem to keep buying sunbursts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Faded Fiesta red on a Strat is just everything. Seafoam Green too.
  • Apologies if I’ve upset any one recently but I’m truly bored stiff of tobacco sunburst strats and various shades of brown Les Pauls
    Agreed. 

I have a tobacco les paul as well. I might have it refinished in something more fun and bright one day, because the guitar itself is actually really nice. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    My Les Paul is call tangerine orange.  I think that’s the official colour.

Actually didn’t want tobacco sunburst.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Seafoam green, or some variation on bright orange ftw

Or of course my eye-melting Schecter...

That's gaudy as hell.

I love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Couple of faded fiesta red starts for you mate

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited September 2021
    Don't really like brown burst finishes on any guitar. Looks especially shit on Fenders. 

If in doubt I always go for black or olympic white (but not too cream). Always looks cool even if it's the boring safe option! On a strat I like seafoam green too and have always wanted one because Tom Delonge.

Silverburst is my absolute favourite finish but only if it's done right and so many look awful. On a Les Paul Custom it needs to be a teardrop burst and be blended really gradually. Some of them just look like a black outline with grey inside and it looks rubbish. On a strat or Tele then rim burst looks correct, but again needs to be blended nicely. Oh and I don't like it in the green Adam Jones style either, it needs to be proper silver. I'd happily have all my guitars in a good silverburst  

I've been getting into Pelham blue recently, especially the ones that are a bit more aged/silvery. I discovered this Blue Mist SG the other day and I kind of fancy having my SG refinished in a similar colour now. Currently it's boring ass trans cherry red! I'm starting to realise I just have a thing for bluey silvery colours. I love charcoal frost too.

https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2020/11/26/gibson_sg_guitar_center_limite_1606397916_de837779_progressive.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    edited September 2021 tFB Trader
    My thread seems to have caused some grievance to @maltingsaudio ;

So much so he’s started this “conversation” shortly after commenting on a finish I did.

Fresh air fella, go for a nice walk  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My thread seems to have caused some grievance to @maltingsaudio ;

So much so he’s started this “conversation” shortly after commenting on a finish I did.

Fresh air fella, go for a nice walk  
    No buddy, no offence meant, you did a fantastic job on that guitar. This thread is in noway about you it’s about the colour.I also whinged about the colour  a £2.5 k custom shop Strat which someone thought was fake recently and a couple of others. I’m just bored of tobacco sunburst on everything .
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    Gold LP's and sonic blue or shell pink strats. Telecasters can please themselves but mine is black with a black plate.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • You wouldn't enjoy an orange beauty like this.  I do however :grin: 

• I guess the classic colours are just that for a reason. Plenty of options out there for you but others will only get what they want. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I’ve always loved blue guitars, curently have a satin ice metallic blue strat and a whale blue prs. 
    Don’t like most black guitars with one exception being my montego black strat, which has tiny flecks of bronze in the paint and looks so cool when it catches the light
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    I'm not particular offended by any colours, apart from garish cherry bursts and badly-done target bursts, which just look awful on any guitar. All the rest are fairly guitar-dependent... eg I don't like 'vintage colour' bursts in general on PRSs, and I don't really like off-white or cream, but it *can* be OK on a few guitars, eg on an SG Custom.

A dark two-tone burst is good on a 50s-style Strat, and a faded/almost-not-there burst is fine on a Les Paul, if a little clichéd now... but still nice if the wood is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Don't really like brown burst finishes on any guitar. Looks especially shit on Fenders. 

If in doubt I always go for black or olympic white (but not too cream). Always looks cool even if it's the boring safe option! On a strat I like seafoam green too and have always wanted one because Tom Delonge.

Silverburst is my absolute favourite finish but only if it's done right and so many look awful. On a Les Paul Custom it needs to be a teardrop burst and be blended really gradually. Some of them just look like a black outline with grey inside and it looks rubbish. On a strat or Tele then rim burst looks correct, but again needs to be blended nicely. Oh and I don't like it in the green Adam Jones style either, it needs to be proper silver. I'd happily have all my guitars in a good silverburst  

I've been getting into Pelham blue recently, especially the ones that are a bit more aged/silvery. I discovered this Blue Mist SG the other day and I kind of fancy having my SG refinished in a similar colour now. Currently it's boring ass trans cherry red! I'm starting to realise I just have a thing for bluey silvery colours. I love charcoal frost too.

https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2020/11/26/gibson_sg_guitar_center_limite_1606397916_de837779_progressive.jpg

Lovely looking guitar! I really like blues in general, andthe ice blue metalic jazzmasters in the Vintera/AO range blow me away every time I see one:

What a stunner.
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1749
    tFB Trader
    Bright solid colours are my jam
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Aaaaaaand it’s my blue PRS (again) lol

• I can like any colour. What i don't like is solid finishes, i prefer to see the wood. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom