Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Colour

What's Hot

Comments

• NCoNCo Frets: 168
    edited September 2021
    I can like any colour. What i don't like is solid finishes, i prefer to see the wood. 

+1 for seeing the wood. I guess that has something to do with sunburst popularity, it's see through and has warm woody colours?

That said, a fiesta red stratocaster with rosewood neck is hands down the best solid colour out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    I can like any colour. What i don't like is solid finishes, i prefer to see the wood. 
    I’ve been saying that for year, but now I’m gassing for something really flashy. Maybe metallic blue, or star shaped and golden.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73081
    NCo said:

That said, a fiesta red stratocaster with rosewood neck is hands down the best solid colour out there.
    Actually one of my least favourites, especially as they have green guards in the main.

In fact, I can't actually think offhand of any guitar that I really think does look good in it... kind of a nondescript colour, neither properly pink nor properly red. It's not *too* bad on a Jaguar with a white guard though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NCoNCo Frets: 168
    ICBM said:
    NCo said:

Actually one of my least favourites, especially as they have green guards in the main.

In fact, I can't actually think offhand of any guitar that I really think does look good in it... kind of a nondescript colour, neither properly pink nor properly red. It's not *too* bad on a Jaguar with a white guard though.

Different strokes...

I guess that colour was hardcoded into me by Gary Moore, Knopfler and the Frusciante.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    I’ve been saying that for year, but now I’m gassing for something really flashy. Maybe metallic blue, or star shaped and golden.
    I'd go for any of those - as long as I can still see the wood.

I also don't like scratch plates and pick guards - I like my Les Pauls and Superstrats without plastic blocking the view of the timber. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73081
    NCo said:

I guess that colour was hardcoded into me by Gary Moore, Knopfler and the Frusciante.
    I've always associated GM with 'that' Les Paul, MK with the Schecter Dream Machine (I had a blue one, otherwise just like his red one), and JF with the sunburst Strat. The players I really associate with a Fiesta Red Strat are Hank Marvin and Mike Oldfield! Oldfield is one of my favourite musicians... I still don't like the colour though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    NCo said:

I've always associated GM with 'that' Les Paul, MK with the Schecter Dream Machine (I had a blue one, otherwise just like his red one), and JF with the sunburst Strat. The players I really associate with a Fiesta Red Strat are Hank Marvin and Mike Oldfield! Oldfield is one of my favourite musicians... I still don't like the colour though.
    And even at that, the original red strat the Shadows ordered wasn’t even fiesta! :)
  • Sea foam Green. Candy apple green. Sherwood green. Cadillac green on a gretsch. Pretty much green. Why are none of my guitars green? 
  • I like all sorts of finishes here are a couple of my cool bluey green ones - Hamers obvs:)

Jim O’Connor Blue Marble airbrushed SS1 Custom - real gold leaf (worth approximately 2 pence) in the um, gold bits

Centaura Deluxe in the very much lesser spotted Blueburst metallic. 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1615
    edited September 2021
    shell pink and sunburst - best of both   that's what I got to ease me away from 'brown'.

i have far too many brown guitars... I need a heavy flake sparkle something!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aaaaaaand it’s my blue PRS (again) lol

For the flamboyant dentist
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Tenebrous said:
    Lovely looking guitar! I really like blues in general, andthe ice blue metalic jazzmasters in the Vintera/AO range blow me away every time I see one:

What a stunner.
    Yeah that looks great! I never used to be into blue guitars but these lighter ones look awesome. Still not into the darker whale blues though.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Personally, I don't like guitars that look like posh furniture. I like guitars to look a bit more utilitarian, things to be played rather than observed. I'd be too worried about damaging an R9 to enjoy it. Three quarters of my guitars are black.

But I totally understand why someone would like a well done burst. It's pretty. We don't all have to like the same stuff, and it means more black guitars for me! 
  • markblack said:
    shell pink and sunburst - best of both   that's what I got to ease me away from 'brown'.

Jesus H - that is one of the coolest looking guitars ever.

Period. Full stop etc etc.

I would never have considered a shell pink option, and I loathe all sunbursts aside from on Jags and Jazzmasters.

But that dirty combination…ooer !
  • Sparkles FTW courtesy of forum hero @lamf68 ;;

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3533
    You wouldn't enjoy an orange beauty like this.  I do however :grin: 

The sparkle saves it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2972
    I've never been into natural wood finishes, perhaps because there was so much of it around in the 70s, and I went off sunburst in the late 70s, when I sold my sunburst Les Paul copy - for a long time I just liked black or white, and I still do:

But now I'm into strong colours:

Especially blues and purples:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Weirdly I used to be a total fiend for flame maple etc. PRS finishes but now I don't really like them and really love solid Fender finishes over all else.
  • Have to agree somewhat about tobacco burst. It looks good on a stratocaster with a tortoiseshell guard, but I find it a real turn off on a telecaster for some reason.  
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Will candy green cheer you up?

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom